Do You Like It When Strangers Interact With Your Dogs?

Blackdogs

Happens all the time, when you own a gorgeous Sheltie who looks exactly like "Lassie'. When we owned Shelley the sheltie, we got so used to cries from strangers, men, women & children... 'Look! There's Lassie.'

Even two young police officers who called to investigate a lout who'd thrown a molotov cocktail (made from a lighter) at me & Shelley, when out walking. They were horrified... 'How could anyone do that to Lassie!' (Er.... never mind me :) )

And now the golden Tibbie girls who look beautiful & smile at strangers. I sometimes feel like part of the entourage of a couple of stars.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only downside is Max is really excitable, and it took me quite a while to train her not to jump up on people, but then when strangers come up and talk/play with them they encourage the jumping up and even though I make her sit and ask people to wait until she's sitting, they usually go "oh I don't mind/don't worry about it" and she goes mental jumping up and I just give up :banghead:

Actually I have the exact same problem! He knows not to jump up on me and my family members but I've been struggling to train him to not jump on strangers. Argh.

The only downside is Max is really excitable, and it took me quite a while to train her not to jump up on people, but then when strangers come up and talk/play with them they encourage the jumping up and even though I make her sit and ask people to wait until she's sitting, they usually go "oh I don't mind/don't worry about it" and she goes mental jumping up and I just give up :banghead:

Actually I have the exact same problem! He knows not to jump up on me and my family members but I've been struggling to train him to not jump on strangers. Argh.

That does happen, I find myself disciplining people more than the canines. Hahaha.

My guys get a lot of attention when out and about and I'm very happy to let people pat them and have a chat. They are great ambassadors for the breed and the more people that see that the better.

I don't like it if people don't ask or kids just rush right up but my dogs have solid temperaments and don't mind the attention. Actually, as soon as they see a child they immediately get 'wriggle butt disease' :)

No, I've learnt my lesson- most of people have about zero sense about if a dog wants to be approached. I've had my male dog put in a head lock and thumped on the side by someone and another person at a show grabbed same dog on the face and kissed him :eek:

Both times the interaction started off with just a sniff of the persons hand and a gentle pat but the people soon think my dogs acceptance of that is an invitation to totally invade their space so now I don't let them be patted by strangers.

When I first got the horse puppy she was the worst jumper and I've spent a lot of time training her out of it and then people encourage her to go it (even family and friends) no matter how much I try to explain that they shouldn't. She's 37kgs at 8mths. The last thing I need is people ignoring me and encouraging her because they won't like it when she's 50kgs and still doing it.

I like it, I normally don't enjoy talking to strangers but I love talking about Elsie! When she is on-lead she just loves getting cuddled by strangers, but if she is off-lead at the park she will only sniff their hand then go off on her own business (unless they have a ball... then she would probably go home with them)

I don't. Most people don't know how to read dog body language. It only takes a second for them (people) to do something unpredictable and cause a problem that can take months to fix. I don't want to risk a problem starting so we do a lot interactions with people I trust and where I can quickly intervene and take the dogs away.

I'm cool with it provided they ask first.

I have Samoyeds, you can't take two steps outside without people gushing over them. Children especially, are drawn to them. I think being show dogs mine are very accustomed to strange people patting them and they adore the attention.

I might not always be in the mood to chat but if purebred owners are going to dispel the notion we're all stuck up crazy people we need to be friendly and approachable IMO.

For me it depends on the dog I have with me, too.

Foxy doesn't like young children, so I only let adults and older children (8+ yo) pat her and I give instructions if they try to pat the top of her head because she is not a fan of that move and will dodge them and try to sniff them instead... She prefers being rubbed under her chin and round the neck, a bit like a cat.

For Fatty pretty much anyone can pat her, except males that come across to brusque.. She finds them a little creepy and will retreat behind me...

The Maremma loves everyone, especially all manner of children but he does not like to travel nd will crap all over my ute if I take him anywhere, so he only gets to love on people who visit.

I don't mind when people ask about the dog or ask to pat. I actually enjoy chatting to a lot of the people I meet with my dogs.

Foxy gets a lot of people grabbing at her head as they walk past but she is a pro dodger now so they don't usually connect unless they smell like weed. For some reasons she loves anyone who smells like pot and will even try to nuzzle/poke them if they walk past within reach... Most people find it endearing that the dog is trying to initiate a contact, not knowing why she chose them, but since I know why I usually get a good laugh out of it.

No idea why she loves pot so much... We used to have some close friends who smelt like it a lot when she was a puppy so maybe it reminds her of them? I don't know for sure

ETA:

No, I've learnt my lesson- most of people have about zero sense about if a dog wants to be approached. I've had my male dog put in a head lock and thumped on the side by someone and another person at a show grabbed same dog on the face and kissed him :eek:

Both times the interaction started off with just a sniff of the persons hand and a gentle pat but the people soon think my dogs acceptance of that is an invitation to totally invade their space so now I don't let them be patted by strangers.

I get inappropriate stuff like that sometimes, too, but the positive usually outweighs the negative. I generally try to tell people what the dog likes and I strongly discourage them or take away the dog if they make moves to get down low with the dog.. I have gotten pretty good at spotting the signs when stupid shit is about to happen lol

Edited by BlackJaq

As long as they ask first so I can supervise I'm OK with it. I don't like parents letting their kids just race up because Sascha is getting less toerant in her old age and while I don't think she'd actually bite it does make her obviously uncomfortable if people are dragging on her so I encourage people with small kids to give thier love to the basset, pretty sure you could peg her to the clothes line by her ears and she'd still be wagging her tail and giving air kisses to any kid she could see LOL

My 8yo always asks people. I just wish though that when people say No if they would gently explain why to the child. A few times it's been said abruptly and my daughter cries because she thinks she's in trouble and gets embarrassed. As a parent we try to teach our kids do the right thing but when someone is scary about it it makes it too daunting for kids to ask down the track.

I find my 2 BC's seem to by a people magnet too. I don't mind as long as the ask first & I supervise the interaction. I don't always feel like being over social

but I do try 99% of the time. I sometimes say "no" if they want to pat Stella if she is having a bad day, anxiety wise. Some days she just wants to be left alone. That is fine & I always explain why I have refused any interaction.Those days are seldom. A nervous dog is not to be pushed IMHO. If she were to snap at someone I would never forgive myself. Both of my guys usually love pretty much everybody.They don't do loud people or kids though but neither do I.

Clyde, geez.... I think that is pretty sad for your 8 year old to be turned away so abruptly. Without so much as an explanation. She was doing the right thing by asking. Your right next time she may feel too intimidated to ask.

Edited by BC Crazy

If I say no I always say it nicely and explain why. There's no reason to be rude or unfriendly!

Exactly..... I always make 'light' of my refusal. Smile & say " Oh sorry just not right now.Stella is having a dummy spit atm". Maybe another time k. Or something like that :)

When I first got the horse puppy she was the worst jumper and I've spent a lot of time training her out of it and then people encourage her to go it (even family and friends) no matter how much I try to explain that they shouldn't. She's 37kgs at 8mths. The last thing I need is people ignoring me and encouraging her because they won't like it when she's 50kgs and still doing it.

I have the very same problem, and with friends that have a fear of dogs (not so extreme that the sight of them makes them panic, but certainly not the kind of people who want a dog that's half their height on his hind legs jumping on them) it is really, really frustrating that people just cuddle and coo and play with Sully when he jumps up. :(