Another Child Injured

Vacuna

I just read a news report and I just can't understand that people don't realise that kids and dogs aren't always a compatible combination. The bit that jumped out in the report was that the dog was being minded by the family.

I am not interested in the issue of the actual breed of dog involved, just the lack of awareness of guardians of children especially since there have been a couple of incidents recently that were major headlines and due to media coverage I would presume most people would have become aware of it.

I had a family member that had a small fluffy that really wasn't child friendly and it was a nightmare when we visited.

I wish that the dog could have been put in another room or yard as my very determined young toddler couldn't be told and would try to engage with the dog. It was a very stressful time trying to keep an eye on toddler or restraining during the entire visit and while a nip on the hand may have taught a lesson that I couldn't get through verbally, I wasn't going to allow a young child to be bitten to prove a point especially as I felt the face might have been the target.

Basically I guess what I am saying is that if we choose to have children and dogs together then we need to be aware and take every precaution to ensure the safety of both.

Dogs mauls child in Sydney's southwest

Updated: 13:02, Saturday October 5, 2013

Dogs mauls child in Sydney's southwest

A dog has mauled a young boy in southwest Sydney and left him with extensive facial injuries.

At about 10pm on Friday a bullmastiff attacked the four year old boy at a Lavington Avenue home in Chipping Norton.

Police believe the attack unfolded when the boy walked into the living room and the dog followed.

The dog bit him on the head before the boy's grandfather intervened.

The family was minding the bullmastiff, police say.

The child was transported to Westmead Children's Hospital with extensive lacerations to the side of his head.

The bullmastiff has been taken to the pound as investigations continue.

The victim's grandfather has told the Seven Network of finding the boy and his injuries.

'His scalp had been torn back,' he said.

'I thought he was going to die to tell you the truth because it looked that bad.'

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will people stop leaving little kids with grandparents when they are also minding a large dog that belongs to someone else? The script for nearly all of these attacks is always the same. So many children scarred for life or even killed and so many dogs pts because they are put in this position. All of these attacks could so easily have been avoided with a little common sense. The basic rule is never allow a dog that isn't yours near any small child. Total separation is the only safe solution.

Guest Wildthing

Unfortunately there is no such thing as common sense anymore

Edited by Wildthing

I just saw this on the news and saw the grandfather interviewed. The kid jumped on the dog, the grandfather heard the dog yelp and then came into the room to see the boy had been attacked. The dog is at the pound awaiting a decision, bloody sad for all involved :(

Annnd dog attack word of the year "mastiff" gets another outing.... What, pit bulls too boring these days?

No, pitbulls are banned. Time to begin alerting the public to the dangers of another breed, so they can easily be banned. Bullmastiffs seem to be IT!

This dog should not be pts, the child obviously hurt him, and he didn't belong to this family. The poor child, the poor dog, and his poor owners.

Edited by Jed

I don't get it, why aren't they allowed to state that it was a bull mastiff now?? If it actually was a bull mastiff then what's the problem, if they reported that it was a lab or a cocker spaniel no one would be jumping up and down. They can't just change what breed it was to make it more acceptable to those are worried about BSL...

Very sad :cry: and worse it is a story that just keeps getting repeated

People think I'm overreacting when I put our dogs away when other kids come to play, but its just not worth the risk.

I think that's sensible, and do the same, even though my boxer adores kids.

We have inlaws from interstate staying with us at the moment. I think they may have thought I was being OTT in asking them to board their small dog while they stay with us. They have just told me a couple of recent stories about their dog biting the vet, and someone else (fear biting by the sounds of things). They thought it was amusing. Yes, she is only small, but I have 2 kids who I don't want bitten. I'm glad I insisted on the boarding.

This news story is so sad. Another preventable incident. Poor child and poor dog. frown.gif

I don't get it, why aren't they allowed to state that it was a bull mastiff now?? If it actually was a bull mastiff then what's the problem, if they reported that it was a lab or a cocker spaniel no one would be jumping up and down. They can't just change what breed it was to make it more acceptable to those are worried about BSL...

It's the way the breed is the focus of the story. Read the story again & replace the word 'bullmastiff' with 'black youth'. See how far you think the story would get then in today's society. It's obvious bias designed to make people fearful, instead of informed.

Poor kid. Poor dog.

Heaps smarter to explain why people like DesertDobes & Trinabean put their dogs away when kids are visiting & why more people should do it.

I saw it on the news, too and the dog did not look like a BM to me. They only showed the head in the back of a car, but it looked like a big-ish Heinz variety bully mix to me :p A BM head is pretty characteristic after-all....

Either way, this article also says the child "tried to play" with the dog and the dog didn't like it....

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-boy-mauled-by-neighbours-dog-20131005-2v0e2.html

I wonder if people believe that "supervision" ends after 20 minutes without incident? Or being in the same room is sufficient?

I really hope this dog does not have to pay for the foolishness of these people.

Edited by BlackJaq

When will people stop leaving little kids with grandparents when they are also minding a large dog that belongs to someone else? The script for nearly all of these attacks is always the same. So many children scarred for life or even killed and so many dogs pts because they are put in this position. All of these attacks could so easily have been avoided with a little common sense. The basic rule is never allow a dog that isn't yours near any small child. Total separation is the only safe solution.

Where does it say he was left with the grandfather? It says it happened in his home.confused.gif

No child should be left in close contact with a dog, whether the dog is known or unknown, this sounds like an accident but it's also another instance of a dog carer not knowing the dogs capabilities.

Someone should hold classes for prospective dog owners, give them all mirrors, tell them to look at their own teeth then say "A human jaw and teeth have the power to bite off a human finger", then show them the jaws and teeth of several different dogs, from the largest to the razor sharp teeth of the smallest, then say "Now imagine what these teeth can do to a human". If you own any animal with teeth like this you must have control of that animal at all times or someone will get hurt and it won't be the dogs fault, they are just doing what is natural to them.

I know getting people in a classroom to do this sounds silly but I genuinely don't think some dog owners see their dogs as the predators they are, they see them as friends or their babies ( my girl is my baby) but they mustn't be blind to what they can do if they get pissed off with someone. No dog owner should say "I didn't think he'd do that, he's never bitten before". A dogs teeth tell the story.

I have a toddler and 2 dogs. They have NEVER been left unsupervised. My dogs have never bitten anyone but it doesn't mean they won't or can't. When people with children visit my dogs are either outside or locked away in our bedroom until the children leave. People think I'm overreacting but I don't want to put my dogs in a situation where they might react and pay the price for it. It's up to me to keep my dogs safe and I take that very seriously.

I have a toddler and 2 dogs. They have NEVER been left unsupervised. My dogs have never bitten anyone but it doesn't mean they won't or can't. When people with children visit my dogs are either outside or locked away in our bedroom until the children leave. People think I'm overreacting but I don't want to put my dogs in a situation where they might react and pay the price for it. It's up to me to keep my dogs safe and I take that very seriously.

I don't think you are overreacting, you are being sensible and responsible. You know it's your dogs who will suffer if anything goes wrong. I keep my little dog on a leash around children, she's never bitten anyone and I don't want her too. Some kids and adults don't know how to approach a dog, but no matter what they do, it will still be her fault if she bites.

I don't think you are overreacting, you are being sensible and responsible. You know it's your dogs who will suffer if anything goes wrong. I keep my little dog on a leash around children, she's never bitten anyone and I don't want her too. Some kids and adults don't know how to approach a dog, but no matter what they do, it will still be her fault if she bites.

Exactly Alison. My son can be overly boisterous with the dogs at times as he's still learning. When he's like that though I seperate them from each other. Dogs get to lay on the bed (which is a treat for them) and I have a quick chat to my son about how we must be gentle. After he's calmed down we all play together again. He's being taught to not approach dogs at the moment. He has to ask me first, I will ask the owner and we proceed from there. Toddlers have no fear and it's my responsibility to ensure he doesn't invade a dogs space without permission.

No child should be left in close contact with a dog, whether the dog is known or unknown, this sounds like an accident but it's also another instance of a dog carer not knowing the dogs capabilities.

Someone should hold classes for prospective dog owners, give them all mirrors, tell them to look at their own teeth then say "A human jaw and teeth have the power to bite off a human finger", then show them the jaws and teeth of several different dogs, from the largest to the razor sharp teeth of the smallest, then say "Now imagine what these teeth can do to a human". If you own any animal with teeth like this you must have control of that animal at all times or someone will get hurt and it won't be the dogs fault, they are just doing what is natural to them.

I know getting people in a classroom to do this sounds silly but I genuinely don't think some dog owners see their dogs as the predators they are, they see them as friends or their babies ( my girl is my baby) but they mustn't be blind to what they can do if they get pissed off with someone. No dog owner should say "I didn't think he'd do that, he's never bitten before". A dogs teeth tell the story.

YES!!

the terms furbaby, et al tend to numb the mind to dogs' abilities in the hunt/kill category. There are instincts/reactions and the tools to back them up contained within waggy tailed companion .. but with the intense moulding of many dogs to fit into the 'little furry accessory' box ...the predatory ability gets further and further away .. and it is just so sad.

There are many of you here who have working dogs .. who switch 'on' & 'off' ......you can see clearly that which they are capable of .

Somehow Joe/jenny public need reminding of this ...and children need to be kept safe.

I bet it wasn't a properly bred Bull Mastiff from a dedicated breeder......it will be another BYB concoction probably run off aggressive dogs in the first place.

Exactly Alison. My son can be overly boisterous with the dogs at times as he's still learning. When he's like that though I seperate them from each other. Dogs get to lay on the bed (which is a treat for them) and I have a quick chat to my son about how we must be gentle. After he's calmed down we all play together again. He's being taught to not approach dogs at the moment. He has to ask me first, I will ask the owner and we proceed from there. Toddlers have no fear and it's my responsibility to ensure he doesn't invade a dogs space without permission.

How nice it is to see a parent providing good dog education to their children......sadly few do these days which doesn't help children avoid the consequences of improper handling of a dog. I had a woman not long ago going off her rocker at me for telling her child that my dog may bite her when she ran over to me trying to cuddle my dog. She ran up from behind me and didn't see her until she was almost on top of us, mother is standing their watching her little daughter approaching a strange dog, but telling her daughter he may bite is scaring kids of dogs.......good.....it might prevent her head getting taken off approaching the wrong dog.

My parents (dog people) taught us that dogs can bite and how to approach and handle them and didn't do me any harm knowing the truth of what can happen and it definitely didn't affect my love for dogs, however it taught me to respect their space.

Edited by Santo66

Where does it say he was left with the grandfather? It says it happened in his home.confused.gif

The only adult mentioned in the story is the Grandfather so he must have been caring for the child alone or surely other family members would have helped when the dog bit the child. The child was left unsupervised with the dog who was being minded for a neighbour, who is overseas. Apart from the poor child who was bitten, I really feel for the owner of the dog who may not have known that his dog would be in contact with a small child, let alone left alone with him.