Unattended Dogs

Kajirin

People do it all the time take dogs leave them unattended to go shopping Personally i think these people are irresponsible idiots without any thought to there dogs & break the obvious rule of having there dogs under effective control.

Its also illegal in NSW.

I am so over the interpretation and argument that dogs can be afixed to a post legally.

This section of the law applies to the back of utes and similar situations where a dog might be caged or tethered.

People do it all the time take dogs leave them unattended to go shopping Personally i think these people are irresponsible idiots without any thought to there dogs & break the obvious rule of having there dogs under effective control.

Its also illegal in NSW.

I am so over the interpretation and argument that dogs can be afixed to a post legally.

This section of the law applies to the back of utes and similar situations where a dog might be caged or tethered.

Another law that isn't being enforced, I see dogs tethered to the back of ute's all the time, I saw one dog on the back of a ute that was covered in a tarp, so not even in the tray, that wasn't tethered at all, poor dog was just balancing on the back, I was driving in traffic at the time, so couldn't get the rego. Seeing a dog tethered up outside the shops is commonplace. I navigate around some of those snappy chappy's with my dog most days.

Last year I saw a GSD tethered up on the back of a ute in the Main Street, an elderly man with a King Charles spaniel walked passed it, it snapped it's collar and went after the spaniel, the owner of the GSD ran out of a shop and grabbed her dog before any harm was done. The old bloke was very shaken though. Another example of an unsocialized dog. Someone rang the police that day and it wasn't me, but I gave a statement. I'm sure that GSD is very unhappy now, locked in an enclosure, I feel sorry for it and I hope never to meet it again. :eek:

Had a look at our legislation. Couldn't see anything in relation to unattended dogs but did find this.

8—Meaning of effective control of dog by means of physical restraint

For the purposes of this Act, a person is exercising effective control of a dog by means of physical restraint

if—

(a) the person is exercising effective control of the dog by means of a chain, cord or leash that does not exceed 2 metres in length restraining the dog; or

(b) the person has effectively secured the dog—

(i) by placing it in a cage, vehicle or other object or structure; or

(ii) by tethering it to a fixed object by means of a chain, cord or leash that does not exceed 2 metres in length.

Well there we go. I don't think it should be illegal to tether your dog while you run into the newsagent's to get a paper as long as the dog does not harass everybody.

The reason we have all this shitty dog legislation, including BSL, is people trying to punish everybody for the mistakes of a few.

Maybe, before yelling for more ridiculous legislation, consider how it might affect you one day. Soon no dogs will be allowed anywhere in public...

Well there we go. I don't think it should be illegal to tether your dog while you run into the newsagent's to get a paper as long as the dog does not harass everybody.

The reason we have all this shitty dog legislation, including BSL, is people trying to punish everybody for the mistakes of a few.

Maybe, before yelling for more ridiculous legislation, consider how it might affect you one day. Soon no dogs will be allowed anywhere in public...

That last bit you just said is what worries me too, I walk my dog everyday and generally come across some oddity, todays was a Malamute type dog, left sitting outside a shop with no leash at all, his master thinks he has absolute control over him, which he does until the Malamute sees me and my little dog on the other side of the road, and tries to cross the busy road to get to us, a couple of cars stopped, lots of angry waving, comments like "Put your effing dog on a leash stupid" owner appears and grabs the dog. Its idiots like him that will get the "No dogs allowed" signs going up everywhere, we'll be the ones who suffer for it. :(

On my way back along the road, I picked up my dog (one advantage of a small dog) and went into the chemist, the lady in their told me she'd just rung the council about the man and his leashless dog, she said he's nearly caused a few accidents. The reporting idea is becoming more common these days.