Breed Loyalty

sandgrubber

Assuming you now have breed XXX  

143 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent are you breed-loyal?

• I grew up with XXX and I'll have no other breed
    • My next dog will be XXX, like my present dog
    • I like variety. I have shifted breeds before and will probably do so again.
    • I've had problems XXX and when the time comes, I look forward to changing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My parents started showing and breeding rottweilers in 1974, when I was the grand old age of 3 - I've grown up with the breed, and never known anything different. I hope to never be without rottweilers in my life, so I am very much loyal to the breed.

I couldn't answer the poll though, because although I will always have rottweilers, that doesn't mean that I won't also have something else - see my signature for more details, pick the odd one out :laugh:

I grew up in Kenya and we had a real mixture of pedigree and crossbreeds, mainly the pedigrees were Labradors and Ridgebacks and the crosses what we called "bush mixes". In the UK I had an inherited Welsh Terrier. I always wanted Shar Pei and don't think I would be without one now, I dream of owning a Tibetan Mastiff but it is just a dream for now. I also have a hankering for an Irish Wolfhound but again not in our current circumstances. I recently looked after a Maltese for a neighbour who was rushed to hospital and whilst he was very sweet, it confirmed for me I wouldn't be suited to owning very small dogs just now. But maybe later in life. I don't dislike any breed really ,but confess to being very wary of Rottweilers due to a bad personal experience. Luckily I have recently met some gorgeous ones so,that's helping me get over my problem. Rottweiler Therapy Lol.

I grew up with a GSD and then a dobe x pointer, we also had a few other large x breeds and pitbulls.

Almost all our family and friends had large breeds as well.

One day my brother and I picked up a stray silky x , he went back to his owners but I fell in love with the ease of having a small dog.

My first was a Maltx, then I became a groomer, my boss bred and showed poodles the minute I met them I was hooked.

I will always have a poodle or two in the house, we have a toy and a mini at the moment but I do like having other breeds as well especially some of the little x's.

I think from here on it's going to be Weimaraners. I had no dogs growing up, but owned a variety as a young adult (BC, Coolies, Staffy type, which I still have). I now have three dogs, one of which is working LGD for my poultry and am looking to get another LGD puppy of a different breed, also to work with my stock. Fatty my bully mix is from the pound and whilst I love her, I think it is going to be all peds from here on out.

Foxy my Weimaraner is my second heart dog, after Dude, who was a Coolie. He was impounded while I was overseas and then supposedly stolen from the pound, never to be heard from again...

I was devastated and ended up with a sister of his, but it was never the same and a few years ago now she was bitten by a snake. I don't think I want any more sheep dog types after this and I find Weimaraners to suit me much better than bully types, so even though I will probably continue to have LGDs as companions and workers as long as we live on a farm, I never want to be without a Weim as long as I am physically able to keep them happy. After that, who knows, I'll probably get a stuffed dog maybe :laugh:

Edited by BlackJaq

I grew up with a Labrador. We then got a pet shop Maltese X and a BYB Poodle. They are family dogs. I now have a Samoyed & German Spitz. I absolutely love them, they are fantastic breeds and my next dog will definitely be another Samoyed and then further down the track another GS. The only other breed I think I'd MAYBE get one day would be Poodle.

I have clear breed bias' however when other dogs come up I am fine with straying from that. for example I am all about border collies so when I lost one I started looking specifically for another BC...and I am currently trying out an Aussie instead lol. I will always own BCs, I am very loyal to them, but I have no issue with having other breeds as well.

We had a cocker growing up and I always said I'd like one of my own so when I moved out I got one. Love my cocker but I also have a beagle which no one in my family or my friends had ever owned before. I would say I am more loyal to my beagle than my cocker. I will always have an evil beagle in my life

I I dream of owning a Tibetan Mastiff but it is just a dream for now.

Coogie, I walked around a corner at a Brisbane pet supplies store & straight into a Tibetan Mastiff. OK, definitely big ... but I hadn't expected such a beautiful shining coat. It & my 2 little Tibetan Spaniels stopped dead, had a gentle sniff, then all 3 tails began to wag. One word for that TM... magnificent.

We had a variety of cross breeds as a kid, none ever stayed for long, my parents were a bit fickle - they would cave to my childish demands then ban the dog from the house and quickly get rid of it. It made for hard work forging a real relationship with them.

When I was old enough I got an Australian Terrier X. She was my dog and I was old enough to bend the rules, so she came inside and slept on my bed and I loved her to death. She was my first heart dog. However, I was only allowed little dogs growing up but always wanted a big dog.

When I moved out and she passed on, I got my dream dog: a Kelpie. I always thought I would have one I my life until recently, but to be honest I don't think any would compare to him. I've met many since and they're not the type of dog I'd want - then again it's hard to differentiate between innate traits and upbringing.

I also have a Schipperke and it's taken a while for me to get used to her - she has a very different personality to the other dogs I've owned. I love her death now, but the bonding process was slow. I don't know if I would get another because I think she's atypical of the breed and I'm not sure the traits I love in her are breed traits.

My next dog will be a German Shepherd. I've always wanted one and I think they would suit me well. I feel like there's so many breeds I want and life's too short, so I'm going to have trouble packing them in. At the end of the day, my heart lies with herding breeds and I'm sure I won't deviate too far from that.

Me & my family have a wide variety of dogs throughout my life from GSD, Poodle, Terrier, mutts of various sorts, Rotti and my current is a Frenchie. Although have fallen in love with Frenchies and will likely get another one.

My parents started showing and breeding rottweilers in 1974, when I was the grand old age of 3 - I've grown up with the breed, and never known anything different. I hope to never be without rottweilers in my life, so I am very much loyal to the breed.

I couldn't answer the poll though, because although I will always have rottweilers, that doesn't mean that I won't also have something else - see my signature for more details, pick the odd one out :laugh:

What do you mean Molly is not a Rottweiler :eek:

I do think that it is time for Miss Naughty Nova to be updated in your siggie don't you???

I I dream of owning a Tibetan Mastiff but it is just a dream for now.

Coogie, I walked around a corner at a Brisbane pet supplies store & straight into a Tibetan Mastiff. OK, definitely big ... but I hadn't expected such a beautiful shining coat. It & my 2 little Tibetan Spaniels stopped dead, had a gentle sniff, then all 3 tails began to wag. One word for that TM... magnificent.

Very, very jealous Mita. I stalk a breeder in Tasmania regularly and plot for the future, I would probably fall over if I saw one here in Brisbane!

I didn't vote in the poll as I never say never. So I wouldn't say that I will never own any other breed but ......

My first dog was a wonderful little rescue Corgie X names Sooty. He was a gem & he passed away from dam tick at almost 15. Then along came our first Border Collie when I was about 10 years old. I have been "hooked" ever since. I have also had a cattle dog along the way but Border's are my heart breed.

Grew up with a miniature poodle and a red ACD. I never bonded with the poodle but Jessie the ACD and I bonded and became inseparable (she was my stepfathers dog). I will never own another ACD though as there will never be another one like Jessie.

I always had a thing for "boofy" looking dogs. When it came time to find a dog for my ex and I, we want looking at the RSPCA and came home with what we thought was a mastiff rotty mix. Turns out he is more likely a lab staffy mix, both breeds that I'm not a huge fan of lol. I love my boy and that will never change but his breeds were certainly not my first choice!

My ex and I also bought a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sierra. He kept her in the seperation. As a result, I just don't think I could get another ridgey :(

My future breeds will be a Great Dane or when I'm older and need something a little smaller, hopefully a French Bulldog or a Boston Terrier.