How Do They Know?

twodoggies2001

Every morning, I have a variety of fresh fruit with my breakfast, and my two mini schnauzers get one small piece of rock melon after I have cut all the fruit up. They don't make an appearance whilst I cut up the strawberries and kiwi fruit or anything else that needs peeling and cutting but as soon as I pick up the rock melon and peel and cut it up, there they are. The peeling and cutting of the other fruit sounds the same to me, but obviously not to them.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably the smell. Dogs noses are a bucketload* better than ours.

* not a technical measurement

Yes, but all the fruit is taken out at the same time so no doubt they smell it then, but don't make their move.

It wouldn't smell until it's cut open, or the smell they like is the cutting open smell.

Edited by minimax

laugh.gif

Our 11 year old Cav is totally deaf, but she can smell from a long way away. I sometimes try to quietly sneak in a treat for young Miah in another room and lo and behold, it doesn't matter how heavy she was sleeping at the time and , Renae will always know, she will wake up and come to where ever we are eek1.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Probably the smell. Dogs noses are a bucketload* better than ours.

* not a technical measurement

Yes, but all the fruit is taken out at the same time so no doubt they smell it then, but don't make their move.

It wouldn't smell until it's cut open, or the smell they like is the cutting open smell.

I normally cut the rock melon in half and have both half in the fridge. I just cut off whatever I need from the half. I'll just put it down to them being remarkable examples of the breed, but then again, I am very biased.

I've asked the same question. Tibbie next door, Lily, is amazing. I'll be in the kitchen, getting treats out of a packet for my 2 tibbie girls. Then, from the fenceline, Lily will do her 'Don't forget about me' bark. She believes when they get a treat, she should have one, too.

Also, I'll be working away in the kitchen getting 'human' meals ready. Tibbie girls snoozing soundly on the deck. I will just pick up the packet or jar that has doggie food... then as noiseless as a little blonde ghost, there'll be Annie sitting at attention in the doorway.

How, how, how do they know! :)

It's the smell. I've mentioned it before but I am reading a great book that explains so much of this type of thing. Dogs noses are to them like our sight is to us. We would know by seeing the rock melon. They would know by smelling the rockmelon.

Remember, their sense of smell is so great that they can smell and track criminals. They apparently do this by smelling the 'stress' of the fleeing person. We see stress, but we can't smell it.

Edited by ~Anne~

I swear doof can hear mentos. It's amazing, you take anything else out of the cupboard and he ignores you but if it's mentos he gets super twitchy and sits there having a total meltdown (shaking, whining, pawing at you) until you put them away.

I agree about smell, but must also be supplemented by hearing. Lily is on the other side of the fence next door, many metres away. I'm in a kitchen with door onto a large enclosed verandah deck. This breed is noted for its acute hearing.

She must also hear the sound of the treat jar as I pick it up.... over that distance.

You're right... it sure shows the amazing sensory talents that dogs have. And how they can work for us. Of course, Lily applies them for her own advantage. :)

Edited by mita

I was hoping Miah would be my diabetic hypo alert dog, but I think they need special training to be able to do that. So far none of my Cavs have given me any signs of an impending one (Luckily i get symptoms and test myself regularly). Altho having said that when I act on one and start eating a jelly bean etc, they will rush over then arghhh laugh.gif

Slightly different, but my mini schnauzer scuttles under my bed when I straighten my hair - not to hide because he's scared, but because he knows I'll be going out without him and he'd rather stay inside thanks!!

Speaking of dogs and their sense of smell, our completely night blind cocker found the toilet bowl after discovering the water bowl was empty last night.

I got up to get a drink and heard a dog drinking from the kitchen, walked past the laundry where the water bowl resides, nope not coming from there.

Turned the toilet light on and I found a Cocker head first in the bowl :p

Slightly different, but my mini schnauzer scuttles under my bed when I straighten my hair - not to hide because he's scared, but because he knows I'll be going out without him and he'd rather stay inside thanks!!

Miah does the opposite, if i start blowdrying my hair, she knows im going out, so she will sit on the toy box (at the end of our bed) next to my dressing table and sit there watching me intently ..either that or she wants me to do her hair and pretty her up as well laugh.gif