Cowra Pound

Does anyone here know much about Cowra Pound or rescue from there or have foster carers in that area?

My older sister and her husband were evicted from their Woodstock farm yesterday. It is likely their 3 working dogs and 2 yard dogs (maremmas) were taken to the pound yesterday afternoon as my sister was unable to find an option for them prior to the eviction taking place. My sister is attempting to find another small farm in the area to rent so would like to be able to get the dogs out of the pound. Their website does not say how long dogs are held for and I can't ring till tomorrow to ask. Given she is juggling a lot of balls at present she may need rescue's help caring for the dogs for a very brief period of time if say the pound only hold for a couple of days and they don't have accom for say a week. I also did a google search and can't find any specific rescue groups in the area to contact and broach this topic with to see what temp assistance they could offer so these dogs don't have to get put down. One of the maremmas would not be a suitable rehoming candidate - she is a bit loopy, so we know she will be put down after her time is up if not claimed by her owners.

My sister currently has very minimal phone and internet access so all I can do is find out info and pass it on to her at present. As you can appreciate, they have a lot on their plate and I am just trying to facilitate some options she can pursue. I appreciate that rescue is not a dog sitting service but they are a family in crisis who do wish to continue to care for their animals if allowed and able to do so once they have a roof over their heads again (which is their first priority). I don't live close enough to do anything practical to help but will be ringing the pound first thing tomorrow to determine if the dogs are there. But for tonight I just wanted to start gathering any info I could so I could make calls tomorrow and identify tangible options for her to pursue.

They also left behind 135 boer goats that they couldn't find a place for. These goats are currently kidding and whilst they were left with access to food and water the kids are likely to be picked off by foxes without the maremmas on watch. If anyone knows of someone who would take these goats it would also be appreciated as we can pass the info on to those currently in possession of the property so the goats don't get neglected.

Thanks everyone.

Alyson

ARF have rescued from Cowra before. I'm sure it was longer than a few days that the dogs were there as I'm sure that it took us a while to confirm rescue then organise transport.

Hopefully the pound can work with her.

Portland in NSW is less than 2 hours away. The other Portland is in Vic!

MUP that's all I can find on the pound too - doesn't tell me much about how long they hold them for so I will ring tomorrow morning. I didn't find out till after dark tonight that the dogs weren't safe or I would've done this earlier.

Thanks for all other suggestions - you guys are wonderful! I will pursue everything I can tomorrow and hopefully come up with some practical options. I was thinking I could also call AWDRI as they have connections everywhere too.

That's not the news I want to hear, particularly for the special maremma girl. Could be more bad news given the Sheriff could actually surrender them as the government's property from a seized farm (ie they no longer legally belong to my sister). I guess I will find out tomorrow morning.

Just searched for animal rescue in Cowra and came up with this:

RSPCA Animal Shelter.

(02) 6362 6171.

W.I.R.E.S. Wildlife Information & Rescue Service Inc-Central ...

(02) 6331 1066.

I wonder if the RSPCA in Cowra might be able to help (as they are homeless) or make some suggestions?

RSPCA actually should have emergency respite care for these situations, I'm sure I have read it somewhere - definitely worth contacting them, they should be able to temporarily board them for a week or 2 at least.

A DOL'er called (barkon) Barb used to help with the dogs from Cowra pound. She helped me rescue a few dogs from there but I haven't seen her on DOL for ages now. The ranger/council person at the time was called Alma. I know they used to keep the dogs for a long time, a month in the case of one of these dogs http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/227181-hi-barkon-check-here/page__p__5510899__hl__barkon__fromsearch__1#entry5510899

Got some good news. The ranger is a gem! He is caring for all 5 dogs personally, ie outside the pound system, for a short period of time and is very happy to work with us and rescue to sort out some temp care until my sister and her hubby get some accom. He had also contacted the RSPCA about the goats but didn't know they were in kid.

So I currently have the lovely Andrea offering assistance with the maremmas and I'm waiting to hear back from the RSPCA and AWDRI about some emergency respite options for the 3 working dogs. The ranger will release them without any charge. I could kiss him!

And even though he had contacted the RSPCA there was nothing on record about the goats so I made a full report to them this morning as there are water issues as well as the problem with foxes and they will need to be monitored. If my sister or her hubby go back to the farm unsupervised to check on them they could be charged with trespassing. You can just imagine the bureaucracy of getting supervised farm access can't you!

Got some good news. The ranger is a gem! He is caring for all 5 dogs personally, ie outside the pound system, for a short period of time and is very happy to work with us and rescue to sort out some temp care until my sister and her hubby get some accom. He had also contacted the RSPCA about the goats but didn't know they were in kid.

So I currently have the lovely Andrea offering assistance with the maremmas and I'm waiting to hear back from the RSPCA and AWDRI about some emergency respite options for the 3 working dogs. The ranger will release them without any charge. I could kiss him!

And even though he had contacted the RSPCA there was nothing on record about the goats so I made a full report to them this morning as there are water issues as well as the problem with foxes and they will need to be monitored. If my sister or her hubby go back to the farm unsupervised to check on them they could be charged with trespassing. You can just imagine the bureaucracy of getting supervised farm access can't you!

Kudos to that Ranger. Wish there were more like him. That is one load lightened for you and your family.

Thumbs down to the other sort of bureacratic nonsense which doesn't allow your sister and her husband to go back to check on and care for the goats. Rather they die and/or be savaged by predators than let commonsense get in the way. Hopefully, I can be proved wrong.

RSPCA got back to me and they don't consider them homeless so they don't qualify for emergency respite. Clearly there are different degrees of homelessness. Suck it up LG. They can provide emergency boarding in Orange (which needs to be paid for) so I'm thinking it could be easier to just pay for them to be kennelled in Cowra and save all that travelling. So I'm now checking out space and prices on that.

DD without the maremmas the nanny goats and particularly their newborn kids will be at risk of being killed by the foxes. Such is farm life unfortunately. The trustees don't seem to be in any rush to get them somewhere safer. The only thing of value to them is the land.