Oncologist Recommendations In Sydney

Dave73

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well she was back to SASH today for a check up. She was back there 2 weeks ago as she went off her food and had vomiting and diahorea. It was the chemo so a weeks break and a smaller dose and she came good. Today the news was mixed she has developed a lump/sore on her neck which is a haemangio tumour. Her blood work is fine her lungs are clear her heart is good and she is full of beans, happy and playful . But we have decided to give Jazz her wings in the coming weeks as this tumour grows and its doubled in 2 weeks so if it continues at this pace it will be the size of half a golf ball in 2 weeks. As hard as its going to be I have to let her go.

I'm so very sorry. But as a human with cancer who does chemo to keep my metatises in check - I can tell you I would not wish it on any living being. You are doing the brave, kind and loving thing. Your dog would not thank you for prolonging the pain and suffering. I wish I had an owner like you. X

So sorry to hear that Dave73. :(

I hope she continues to be happy and playful for as long as possible.

+1 - she is a lucky girl to have such caring and thoughtful humans - and great veterinary care. May she continue happy for as long as possible. She will be missed on DOL when the time comes.

I'm so very sorry. But as a human with cancer who does chemo to keep my metatises in check - I can tell you I would not wish it on any living being. You are doing the brave, kind and loving thing. Your dog would not thank you for prolonging the pain and suffering. I wish I had an owner like you. X

Thankfully the chemo has never bothered her before so that's 13 months that she was free of any side effects from the chemo. Its just a case of this tumour on her neck, even though the oncologist assures me she is not in any pain as it is a painless cancer and she is doing fine and she expects to see me in the new year, unless this tumour stops growing we have decided to spoil her rotten for the next 2 weeks then let her go.

Dear dave73

All DOLers will share your heartbreak. Jazz has been given a life full of love and happiness.

Hugs and best wishes to you and your wife and Zeus.

Agree. We have shared the journey and we will share the heartbreak Dave.

:grouphug:

This has brought back bad memories of the spread of Bella's haemangiosarcoma. The whole experience is a roller coaster of emotions, from depression and disbelief when getting the initial diagnosis, to elation when the treatment appears to be working, to devastation when you realise there's nothing more you can do. The only silver lining is knowing that this is not a painful cancer.

I read your update with tears brimming. I am so sorry you have reached this stage but I'm glad that Jazzy seems clueless as to what's happening. Think only good thoughts while she's still around, there will be time to grieve later. Big hugs to you, your family and of course Jazzy. She's a remarkable young lady.

Dear Dave73 and Jazz,

So sorry to hear that it is almost time for you to say goodbye to Jazz. After following your thread and praying for Jazz's recovery it saddens me to say that I truely feel your pain and can imagine what you are going through. I cannot believe that two weeks ago my 7 year old GSD boy Kynan was also diagnosed with haemangiosarcoma and only has a few weeks left :cry:

Edited by Kynan

Kynan,

Im so sorry to hear about your boy. One plus I suppose is its painless but its such a hideous cancer, and so very prevalent in this wonderful breed. Can I ask is your boy a show or working line GSD.

I spoke to our oncologist about breeds that have this cancer and breeds that she see's more and haemangiosarcoma is way to common in the show lines gsd's less in the working lines. But she said all breeds are getting cancer and as many cross breeds as well of all ages.

Dear Dave73 and Jazz,

So sorry to hear that it is almost time for you to say goodbye to Jazz. After following your thread and praying for Jazz's recovery it saddens me to say that I truely feel your pain and can imagine what you are going through. I cannot believe that two weeks ago my 7 year old GSD boy Kynan was also diagnosed with haemangiosarcoma and only has a few weeks left :cry:

Sorry to hear about your boy's prognosis. I hope Kynan's time is filled with love and happiness. :hug:

Kynan,

Im so sorry to hear about your boy. One plus I suppose is its painless but its such a hideous cancer, and so very prevalent in this wonderful breed. Can I ask is your boy a show or working line GSD.

I spoke to our oncologist about breeds that have this cancer and breeds that she see's more and haemangiosarcoma is way to common in the show lines gsd's less in the working lines. But she said all breeds are getting cancer and as many cross breeds as well of all ages.

So sorry to hear Dave and Kynan. Dave I too have been following and have been heartened at the love and care you have shown Jazz. My last girl was a cross GSD and we lost her at the young age of 6 to cancer. My current girl is 13 (also a cross but remembles a lappie more than a GSD) but we have been lucky to see her 13th birthday at all having had various other reasons to be at SASH this year, they truly are wonderful there and provide the best of care. Wishing Jazz more wags and strength to you.

:flower:

Our oncologist has said if we ever want another GSD please get a working line as they seem to be more robust than the showlines, notice I said seems. She did say she has seen a few with cancers.

Well our girl is so very good at the moment, its amazing that she has such a deadly cancer in her body, she is unstoppable up this morning at 530am barking to wake us up then was running around with 1 of her many toys in her mouth wanting me to chase her, then after me not being quick enough to catch her she wanted the front door open so she can bark at the passing people walking there dogs. She does this till my wife heads off to work at 9 but she does stop to scoff her brekkie. Then my wife comes home for lunch and its more playing chase and a bit of lunch then im home at 330pm and more chase and at the front door to bark at the arvo walkers

till we close the door at about 830pm (if its not to hot and A/Cs on which she gets very upset about). When we go to bed she is straight on the rug at the front door we bought her ( its hers god forbid you sit on it she gets the strop )and she has a bark letting everyone know she is on patrol...

We will be steered by her energy levels and general happiness to when we let her go, but maybe the oncologist might be right and she will be seeing her in early January.

From what they have said no-one thought she would of seen December, but as they said she hasn't only made it she is thriving, alert, clear eyes, beautiful coat actually putting weight on. All they say she is one hell of a fighter..

Edited by Dave73

We will be steered by her energy levels and general happiness to when we let her go, but maybe the oncologist might be right and she will be seeing her in early January.

From what they have said no-one thought she would of seen December, but as they said she hasn't only made it she is thriving, alert, clear eyes, beautiful coat actually putting weight on. All they say she is one hell of a fighter..

Sad but such a love story, Dave73.

Jazz has her Daddy & Momma's love.

Still in my prayers.

:love:

• 1 month later...

I have some very sad news I had to let my girl go this afternoon, she drifted off peacefully at 5pm at SASH. I'm absolutely devastated, this hurts beyond belief. Jazz stole my heart in a big way.

I am so very sorry to read this news. But I know you & your wife held Jazz so very close right to the end. How hard you fought for her and how bravely Jazz battled.

Rest Well, Jazz. Free now.

:rainbowbridge: