Oncologist Recommendations In Sydney

Dave73

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chemo number 3 today. All good blood tests were good heart scan was perfect,she has to have her first scan in 4 weeks just to check all her organs for tumours. So that will be a tough wait when its done.

Well had a scare yesterday, She couldn't put wait on her one and only back leg. Thought the worst but after settling down had a look and its a damaged nail. Had her to the vet this morning they don't want to touch it at this point as she has had so many generals and sedations they have asked me to keep her quiet and check it in 5 days and with some antibiotics. She is hopping around know she has learnt to turn her paw slightly to take the weight off it.

Its still there and attached but its pulled so to speak. She is on anti biotic cream for it as they feel she is on enough oral medication. They seem to think 5 days she should be fine. If its still tender on Friday I will take her to my usual vet. She went to the natural vet today at Russell Lea for her check up after chemo so thought let them have a look while they did her chiro and acupuncture as it was already booked.

Its great it is a relatively easy fix to it seems.

I too am battling cancer with my dog. He's now had 6 surgeries removing tumours in the last 12 months. The worst are the lesions on his spleen which we suspect are tumours. We are currently considering chemo to shrink them or, at worst, a splenectomy.

At this point I'm leaning more towards chemo. He's had enough surgeries to last a lifetime. He's now 11 years old.

I am undecided though which way to go and I hope my next chat with the vet will give me clarity. It's easy to say "do the surgery and he will live longer" but is that for me or him? He only knows the stress and pain of major surgery and that I am somehow linked with it by abandoning him at the clinic each time. :(

Its great it is a relatively easy fix to it seems.

I too am battling cancer with my dog. He's now had 6 surgeries removing tumours in the last 12 months. The worst are the lesions on his spleen which we suspect are tumours. We are currently considering chemo to shrink them or, at worst, a splenectomy.

At this point I'm leaning more towards chemo. He's had enough surgeries to last a lifetime. He's now 11 years old.

I am undecided though which way to go and I hope my next chat with the vet will give me clarity. It's easy to say "do the surgery and he will live longer" but is that for me or him? He only knows the stress and pain of major surgery and that I am somehow linked with it by abandoning him at the clinic each time. :(

Yes its a easy fix, just rest hopefully . Will re check it Friday if its no better the nail may have to come off. She is moving fine know just occasionally she hits it and she sort of rocks back on her hind leg but that's only on turning, straight lines she is fine. Sorry to hear about your dog. Its a horrible cancer this Haemangiosarcoma. I know what you mean we had the struggle with the surgery but she was only five so it was a no brainer. I have the guilt's every 3 weeks when she goes in for chemo, but the chemo has no side effects for her only a bit of tiredness for the first 7 days but that could also be due to the regular sedations at chemo time as well. That's why the vet wants to try rest to manage this nail as she has had so many generals and sedations since November 13 he only wants to go further if its absolutely necessary.

Edited by Dave73

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

Well its been an eventful few weeks, that damaged nail came out which meant another trip to the vet and a bandage. She didn't move for 3 days with the bandage so I took it off and she was moving round like normal until she put to much wait on that nail and you could see her sort of jump! Chemo No4 today and all went well Veronika is very happy 3 weeks No 5 and a chest x-ray and abdominal ultrasound. The nail is still a bit tender and will be for a while yet but all's good.

Edited by Dave73

Gosh, poor Jazz. Is the nail still tender because of the treatment she is on? Those things usually clear up so quickly.

Wishing you all continued progress.

The rear one is fine but she lost another one yesterday at sash front this time. Didn't happen in the car or once home as she went straight to her bed, then when I was typing my reply last night my wife called me over and a nail on the front paw was missing. She was licking the paw in the car on the drive home from SASH. So back to the vets tonight to get it looked at and some more antibiotics.

Will check with SASH if the chemo is weakening her nails as she has never lost one before and know 2 in 2 weeks.

Spoke to the vet last nite, another nail on the other foot seems a bit loose. Nothing she can find about chemo causing issues with the nails in dogs humans yes, checked for anything fungal, which came up negative. Will speak to Veronika on Tuesday and the chemo slows down the immune system hence it takes a bit longer for her to get over the lost nail. She shows no sign of normal chemo side effects but maybe this is her side effect? Will know more Tuesday.

• 3 weeks later...

Last injectable chemo today and a full check up xrays ultrasounds and she is in Remission ( love that word ) She had a different chemo as the other is causing all her nails to fall out, its not documented in dogs but humans loose nails on this chemo. 1 months time she goes on a maintenance dose of chemo in tablet form. and 3 monthly checks. for another 6 months then if no signs out to 6 monthly checks.