People With Fat Dogs

BlackJaq

Unless you know the dogs health background and know exactly how/what they are feeding the dog I wouldn't say anything. Your advice no matter how good the intent, would be seen as criticism against themselves and would be ignored.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good having fluffy dogs, no-one can tell if they are a bit over or under weight :)

Collie has been over weight from time to time, he got the full clip back in April and looked like a sausage on legs at 16.1kgs :p. (Vet didn't say a thing when we went to get his eyes checked)

Since then he's slowly lost weight and now he's looking pretty good at 12.6kgs but despite being in the upper range in height for a Cocker he's under the weight mentioned in the breed standards.

I'm not sure if that would be cause for concern, I can feel his ribs easily but you can't see them and he was recently clipped short on his back and sides so no fur to hide them.

We were out at a doggie day out yesterday and met lots of people who said Rosie (the whippet x) is too thin, I think she's in great nick, you can see a few ribs but they're surrounded by a solid layer of muscle, she's very happy and fit and eats like a horse!

I can tell you now I had no patience for those people, no matter how well intentioned, as awful as it may be there really isn't any way to make it your business.

You don't know their story, or reasons or situation. It just isn't appropriate to comment. Would you tell a person on the street they're too fat or too thin?

Of course I know their story, I specifically said I'm only talking about dogs and owners that I know, not strangers in the street.

Edited by BlackJaq

it was interesting to see the photo of the beautiful lean lab that was posted a few pages back - I guess it goes to show how many overweight labs there are around, as I have never seen one in that condition! Looks like a completely differnt dog when you can see their waistline and lean muscle tone! :thumbsup:

I am one of those people who probably needs a little more education on this topic!

I am confident that Juno is at a healthy weight now, but I am not so sure about Hunter.

I was always concerned that Juno was a little underweight as a puppy... she is ones of those dogs that will leave half her dinner if she doesn't feel like eating it, and I was never confident that she was getting enough. Now that we have switched to a raw diet, this problem has been eliminated.

Her ribs used to be quite visible, but they now have a light cover over them... you can feel them when you rest your hand against them but only the last rib or two are visible. She has a nice lean tummy with a tuck.

Hunter on the other hand, could probably lose some weight? His ribs can be felt when you rest you hand on them, and the last rib is kinda visible, although not as defined as Juno. You can see a waist shape from above however he doesn't have a tuck. His whole build is overall more blocky.

Going off his ribs coverage I would probably say he is fine... maybe at the higher end of the healthy range, but i am confused by the lack of tummy tuck. As he was growing I assumed that there was a difference in puppy shape and adult shape and that this would develop later. He is now 10 months old and looks like a mature dog but still doesn't really have the tuck. Maybe he does need to lose some weight?

I think half my difficulty come when I compare the two dogs.. although they are both staffies, their builds are quite different. Juno is much more lean and athletic, whereas Hunter is a lot more solid and stocky. This seems to be muscle not fat though.

Are there different criteria when looking at puppies and adult dogs, and what age would you start to apply the adult criteria?

I would probably go with rib cover as different breeds often have very different shapes. A lot of short coated sight hounds will for example show the knobs of their vertebrae, even when in good condition. some of our dogs have less tuck than others and I have noticed with staffy mixes the males can often have an almost straight bottom line, due to the way their penis is set and the skin that connects it to their belly.

Not sure if I am describing this very well.... Bundy (on far right in my sig) is bit heavier than ideal atm but even when slim, he has minimal tuck, especially when he is not in fit condition. With increased muscle tone he will gain some tuck.

Edited by BlackJaq

I've noticed there are numerous statements in this thread that vets don't say anything about overweight dogs.

This is completely untrue.

Broaching the subject of overweight and obesity is as common as advice on parasite control. Honestly.

People take the advice they want and ignore the rest. The patient history notes of every fat dog in every clinic I've ever worked in contain records of weight-loss discussions.

I strongly suspect the "but my vet has never said anything" line is trotted out as a way of absolving themselves of responsibility. That excuse is a load of rubbish. If their dog is overweight you can bet your life their vet has said something.

I've had a vet outright say to me that they prefer to see dogs on the chubby side of average, especially if they are older. Seems stupid to me, but not all vets are the same!

I've noticed there are numerous statements in this thread that vets don't say anything about overweight dogs.

Broaching the subject of overweight and obesity is as common as advice on parasite control. Honestly.

People take the advice they want and ignore the rest. The patient history notes of every fat dog in every clinic I've ever worked in contain records of weight-loss discussions.

I strongly suspect the "but my vet has never said anything" line is trotted out as a way of absolving themselves of responsibility. That excuse is a load of rubbish. If their dog is overweight you can bet your life their vet has said something.

I've had a vet outright say to me that they prefer to see dogs on the chubby side of average, especially if they are older. Seems stupid to me, but not all vets are the same!

I know a lot of people like some weight on their older dogs over winter, but the chubby side of average (assuming healthy=average) sounds vastly different to fatty-fat-fat to me.

We have often let our seniors keep a bit on over the colder months, and a lot of the time weight control toward the end is the least of your worries.

Last time I took my two to the vet she said they needed to lose weight.

I knew that my boy was on the chubbier side but thought my girl was ok. She was just under 24kgs and the vet said I needed to get her down to below 20kgs :eek: I think if she went down to 20 she would look skin and bones :( She is about 22kgs now and I think she looks perfect weight wise.

My boy.. well it doesn't matter what I feed him, how little I feed him and how much exercise he gets he just doesn't lose weight. I think he is just naturally chunky lol.

While I would be offended if someone told me I could lose a few kilos (and I should), I don't think I would feel the same way about being told my dog was a bit fat, if the person appeared polite but concerned. My dog is not me, and I just wouldn't take it that personally. I have only had one dog who was overweight, and while I was a bit surprised when my vet told me she would be better off 5kg smaller, I wasn't offended. She was a large dog, so 5kg wasn't a huge amount for her to lose, and she did. I have, however, been offended when someone told me I wasn't feeding my dane enough (I was) and that a relatives greyhound I was walking was ugly and too skinny.

Edited by bamboo

My dog is overweight, I don't get offended when people mention it, I know.

I struggle to get the weight off him though. When I adopted him he was overweight, managed to get a bit off, but it came back on over winter again. He's getting old and doesn't seem to have as much energy that he had even a year ago, I'm finding it hard to get the weight off him.

And weight loss tips, I'm all ears for!

I don't know if it's the same principal as weight loss in humans, I've always been naturally thin so I dont know much about it, vet was usless too. Ive just been going by the idea of "eat less, exercise more". What else can help?

I'm not sure what breed you have or it's size... but think of it this way; a chic chip biscuit for your dog is the equivalent of you eating a hamburger. Most people think they are not over feeding their dog. They are, and then some!

My tips:

Do NOT feed anything over and above their regular feeding. That means NO snacks, and NO tidbits from what you or your family are eating. They will not die from the absence of snacks. They do no need treats, particularly commercial treats, or any other rubbish food.

If you feed twice a day, each meal should be HALF of what the daily recommended amount is. Most people tend to feed two meals that are equivalent to the daily total amount in each meal.

If you really think your dog will not get enough to eat and will look for more (in reality, he may look for more but he'll have had enough in his meal... it is the owner who thinks he hasn't eaten enough usually...) then make up the bulk with something like boiled cabbage. It's mainly water and it's filling.

Seriously though, just reduce the amount of food. You have to be firm. It's for your dogs benefit.

Thanks for the tips! The cabbage one sounds particularly good, my dog is crazy for food, he does complain when he thinks its not enough. He usually isn't given treats though.

He's a mixed breed, by the chart he's on the "heavy" diagram, about golden retreiver size in height and body type.

I have had several strangers who have stopped to pat my dogs comment on Bert's weight.

Really gives me the sh$ts to be honest. people assume you are a bad owner when for us it is the opposite

Bert has suffered very badly from allergies to just about everything for 3 years. It took almost 2 years of vet visits, tests, vaccine trials etc to finally get it under control. in that time he was on a heavy dose of cortisone that made him stack on weight and we were unable to walk him very often as he would break out in an allergic reaction. we spent thousands of $$ to sort out his issues.

now his allergies are under control we have started to tackle his weight. he has dropped from almost 15kg to just under 12kg and we have another 2kg to go. I am so proud of him, we are very strict with him so it really gets up my nose when strangers comment as they know nothing of his medical history and I feel I need to justify myself when it is really none of their business.

I know a lot of people like some weight on their older dogs over winter, but the chubby side of average (assuming healthy=average) sounds vastly different to fatty-fat-fat to me.

We have often let our seniors keep a bit on over the colder months, and a lot of the time weight control toward the end is the least of your worries.

Yes, totally agree!. I should have specified that what I was talking about is properly fatty-fat-fat not a little bit chubby or a pattern of seasonal fluctuation :)

Also, not that every vet would comment to every owner at each point of contact or that they all have the same perception of when it needs to be addressed. Just that it genuinely is a routine topic of advice.

But apologies to BlackJaq, I know you were actually originally asking about addressing obesity with family/friends/acquaintances dogs - not in a professional sphere or to strangers.

With family/friends/acquaintances, I will always say something - but try to put it nicely... like "oooh, who's a well loved puppy then?" while giving said dog a cuddle...

T.

I'd take that to mean love = food and there is no way I'd pick up that someone was saying my dog was far. For family and close friends I just say "x could lose a few kilos". It isn't the same as saying someone is fat - that is tied in with psychology, emotion etc. I've never had someone be offended, but they aren't strangers and they know I love them and their dogs.

Most people are fine if you approach them right. Walking up and giving people an unsolicited lecture might earn you a deserved slap in the face. I am a vet nurse and have no hesitation in giving a big cuddle and belly-rub and making a joke that fido mustve been in a good paddock or something similar and most peopke respond with an inquisitive "really? We were wondering if he/she was a bit on the heavy side". Be careful judging complete strangers though. I had a woman follow me around a pet store making snide comments about my neglected and emaciated dog and how someone should report me. She was right about her being neglected and emaciated-thats how she was surrendered to the organisation that i foster for, along with a fairly advanced case of demodex. But when we apply logic, does it really make sense that the person walking the dog around a pet shop with dog coats and premium food in hand would neglect the dog. I was happy to talk to anyone that asked about her obvious poor health but the sniping bitch making judgements without knowing the facts got the VERY pointy end of my temper. Just talk to people and dont mount your high horse and most people are very happy to talk about their dogs.

I know that my idea of fit and lean is different from Joe Public. I do dog sports with mine and condition them carefully.

I had my Whippet in at the vets and weighed her after recovery from TPLO surgery. She had gained 500gms. I said to her, yes I thought you were getting a bit fat. The vet said that he thought she wasn't overweight at all and could gain some weight- a couple of kgs. We are talking a Whippet who is generally 10.5 kgs. Half a kg is noticeable but if she gained a kg or two she would be fat! Not to mention she had had orthopedic surgery which meant she shouldn't carry a scrap of extra weight.

I took my Whippet to the markets yesterday and got the look mum there is a skinny dog, look at the skinny dog etc etc.

I have also been asked if they are rescues because they are so skinny, you need to feed that dog more, don't you feed your dog etc etc.

I do eventually get annoyed at that because they are lean but fit with good form muscle.

I have been tempted to get the shirt with a whippet in that says my dog is not skinny yours is just fat. I am quite sure if I walked past someone dog and said oh look at the fat dog, oh that dog gets fed far too much, or how many coffee's can it hold people would be offended.

Having worked in the industry I am very careful, polite and careful how I handle any discussions on weight, even if they bring the subject up.

Edited by OSoSwift

You have no hope with some people.

Denial, denial, denial!

Most people think it's rude to comment on weight- either pet or human.

I allowed weight to creep on one of my dogs. Was very gradual, so took a random comment from kid, "Oscar looks like cylinder" for me to reassess.

He did need to lose some weight. He'd been taking food from our other dog and I needed to feed them separately.

It's only a tiny amount of food needed for a 7 kg dog. It looks like too little, but a handful is what's needed.

Dog was more full of life when healthy weight.

One of my dogs is overweight and I'm very much aware of it. Someone pointing this out to me or implying I didn't care correctly for my dog would piss me off.

In the old dog's case, he has a degenerative spine issue and keeping him lean is much easier said than done when he doesn't want to exercise. Try forcing a 39kg dog to walk if it really doesn't want to. With Old Dog, he just puts the brakes on and that's that- it's like trying to walk a boulder. I'm sure some people just don't know better but there's always a chance that the dog has some sort of medical condition that you can't see, potentially one that will eventually take the dog's life (as it will the Old Dog), making assumptions from other people even more upsetting.