Different Play Styles

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

I'm watching my 2 play in the yard this morning and observing how vastly different their style of play are.

Odie is a typical bulldog when she plays, lots of headbutting, snuffling and general ridiculousness :laugh: Hank the GR puppy is a lot more gentle but doesn't mind the rough play, he slaps his big fat paws around and does zoomies with his tongue hanging out which always cracks me up :laugh:

Both of them love to do that "silent standoff" thing where they stare at each other from a distance until one of them runs and the other one chases.

Anyway it got me thinking about play styles among different breeds. Do your dogs have a particular style of play? Is it typical of their breed(s)? Is there any type of play that you put a stop to?

Interested to hear!

Ziggy seems to vary his play style depending on who he is playing with.

Another staffy of equal stature gets the full staffy mode. Bitey face, body slamming, running around and wrestling.

Pups get him on the ground and he tends to roll around a lot.

Smaller dogs like my friends poodle get the chase me game and are usually happy to oblige and they just seem to zoom around like loonies, in and out of the clam shell..

Guest hankodie

Hank does this too! I'm told it's a sign of great doggy social skills :D

Odie on the other hand is a little bit more socially inept, I have to be careful with her interactions as not all dogs appreciate her brand of play :laugh:

She has a particular love for staffies, pugs and bulldogs though!

Edited by hankodie

Hank does this too! I'm told it's a sign of great doggy social skills :D

Odie on the other hand is a little bit more socially inept, I have to be careful with her interactions as not all dogs appreciate her brand of play :laugh:

She has a particular love for staffies, pugs and bulldogs though!

Bahaha, I wish it was - he is very typical of a lot of forward staff's.. He wants to go up and greet every dog he meets at 100 miles an hour..

He usually ends up on his tummy before he gets there (because he has barged up to them) but it is the one thing that no matter what I do with him, I can't seem to break him of it.

We are going to spend some time with Steve Courtney from K9 Pro next month (can't wait), so hopefully he can help me with this..

We have tried turning and walking away when he starts to barge in and numerous other things and he is a lot better but he is still to pushy for my liking.

He can also flick from good play to hyper staffy in an instant at a dog park. I watch him like a hawk and we leave as soon as I see any sign that he is becoming an over confident PITA..

Kyojin loves body slamming and bitey face etc, so he's so excited when he gets to play with other similar breeds. He's great at adjusting for puppies or really little dogs, but he doesn't really understand it when he meets another large dog who doesn't want to play rough.

The 2 Bulldogs are into body slams, bitey face and zoomies. Lots of grunting and snuffling too. I have to explain to others who haven't had much to do with bulldogs that they are not fighting but having a wonderful play together.

The 2 little dogs like bitey face and they love to chase the big dogs but they don't enjoy a lot of contact.

Have noticed lately Scout's play style has changed from when he was younger. Used to be he was all paws, ummyarhs [vocalisation], body slams and zoomies with any breed - but recently he played with a guide dog puppy at the vet and he went into a drop position and crawled over to the pup, letting the pup engage play and they ended up doing licky faces together. When he plays with the neighbours Kelpie, he's not as Boxerish with her either, tends to shovel nose her a bit, but he also tends to drop for her as well.

Yet when he met another Boxer when out for a walk, he was bouncing on all four paws, paw action and just general Boxer enthusiasm. Guess he can recognise one of his own laugh.gif

My BT always waits to be invited to play, she seems to play with labs the most as they seem to play the same. She wrestles and box's , never any running, in fact its funny when she meets a dog who wants her to chase them, they zoom around her and she just stands still waiting for them to come back into reach :laugh:

My cattle on the other hand is a stalker and chaser.

I love watching dogs moderate their playing style!

I was training with a friend on Friday and we let the dogs have a run. Her Lab bitch was fantastic - one minute she was on her hind legs with my Dalmatian who was flirting like crazy and the next she was on the ground with my Spaniel who plays very low down with other dogs. When Zig and Em are together they incorporate both their playing styles. Zig is excellent at moderating his playing style with puppies. Em's low down submissive playing can really freak out the herding breed puppies who are used to the rough and tumble - but other Spaniels are drawn to her like nothing else.

Ziggy playing with the very sexy Dharma...

Moderating his play for Em as a puppy...even the smackdown at the end is super gentle...

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The Pyrs love to run and also stand facing each other doing open mouth teeth displays and 'bitey face' games (think of walruses :D ). We have a GSD as well and he has a VERY different play style. Lots of barking and blocking and body contact which frustrates the heck out of the Pyreneans (though they are VERY tolerant of him getting in the way). We have a saying that the Pyrs speak French and the GSD speaks German :laugh:

Guest hankodie

Bahaha, I wish it was - he is very typical of a lot of forward staff's.. He wants to go up and greet every dog he meets at 100 miles an hour..

He usually ends up on his tummy before he gets there (because he has barged up to them) but it is the one thing that no matter what I do with him, I can't seem to break him of it.

This sounds so much like Odie! She is definitely a frustrated greeter on the lead, I never let her off leash as she will try to say hello to literally every single dog and doesn't seem to read other dogs very well. She also has a very fine line between happy boisterous play and being over confident too so I'm quick to intervene!

the basset has a boofhead play style more like the bulldog.

I've never seen bassets at play before but from your description I have the most adorable picture in my head :laugh:

I'll hype them up later and video tape them for you :D

She's nearly knocked me over a few times because she doesn't really look where she is going when she is engrossed in plpay and tends to just run straight through things LOL

Edited by kelpiecuddles