Grainfree Dry Food

May I please ask where those who purchase Taste of the wild and Earthborn Holistic purchase theirs from? I am in a rural area and there is not a lot of choice so I will need to find online sources. Oh and which flavours have you had success with too please?

I buy TOTW from www.naturalpetstore.com.au - not sure how wide their delivery area is.

I buy the Pacific Stream one which is salmon based - the ingredients are good, protein levels not too high and no beet pulp!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can recommend Next Generation Holisitic Grainfree. I use the chicken and duck flavour. I have been very impressed with the results after using this food, especially my dog's coat condition and you can't beat it for value. It is also made in Australia.

www.nextgenerationpetfoods.com.au

Thank you so much! I will order a small bag and see how my sensitive boy does on it :) Thanks again :)

I also buy my Earthborn Holistic grain free online from natural pet store.Great service & price. My guys love the fish vatiety & do very well on it. Sonny is allergic to grain & yeast. He seems to be quite  sensitive.:)

Edited by BC Crazy

1381804095[/url]' post='6322893']

I feed Black Hawk Holistic. It comes in Chicken & Rice, Lamb & Rice and a new fish one.

frown.gif Unfortunately they all have grain in them. Even the fish one has oats and rice. Such a shame as it is so much cheaper than the grain free foods and Australia made.

I have found earthborne holistic, Canidae and TOTW to be good. Lately I've been trying the VIP Grain free one from Woolies. The chicken and duck one has no beef. It seems good, though obviously not as good as the high end ones.

i found this site useful when I was researching kibble...

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Which is American and next to useless.

That's unnecessarily rude.

Yes it's American but the info can be helpful.

True, check the ingredients etc they're nearly always the same, here is another with first 5 ingredients,calories per cup and with protein, fat, calcium, etc got it from a GSD site. I've found it helpful.

True, check the ingredients etc they're nearly always the same, here is another with first 5 ingredients,calories per cup and with protein, fat, calcium, etc got it from a GSD site. I've found it helpful.

I found some foods that have separate factories in Australia have better ingredients here than what that website says, so double check against the products Australian website.

Be aware that many brands use a spray on oil apparently on kibbles (it keeps the kibble piece looking edible and 'moist' I am told) that contain chicken and or beef by products. I would think the label should state this but I am not sure, and if it does, I am not sure how clear it is. This is why kibble is considered a common allergen. It is usually not grains, but the beef and chicken additives and by products.

A question: why are you feeding kibble at all if your vet thinks it is grains. Why not feed an alternative to kibble?

Yes, and I'm wondering if your vet has talked about doing an elimination diet to work out which foods may be causing skin issues? Grains may be an issue, but to be honest, some of the meat proteins tend to be bigger culprits in allergic dogs. Chicken and beef are often allergens, and are common ingredients in many kibbles. I'd be asking about doing an elimination diet to tease out exactly which foods are problematic.

The skin issues may be from food, or from environmental allergens. Or a combination of both. A referral to a canine dermatologist is often a good way to go to work things out. Good luck. :)

K9 Natural Freeze Dried.

Oh yes!!! Their lamb green tripe is AWESOME. Stinks to high heaven but the dogs love it.

I feed Holistic Eagle Pack. My lot does very poorly on TOW.

That makes one of mine vomit - and it's the one with a cast iron gut! Annoys me because I like it and would use it.

The only way to totally understand your dogs diet problem is to put the dog on an elimination diet...as other here have recommended.

It is one thing to decide to put an otherwise healthy dog on 'grain free dry dogfood' but a totally different thing working out what is the correct diet for a dog that has issues.

To do this, and seeing as most dogs have during their life have now been given many and various protein sources, you have to choose a protein source that you think the dog has not had plus eliminate other possible allergens from the diet.

Kangaroo as a low fat protein source is usually a good choice but it can be fish or goat, etc. Then add various veges eg. potato, sweet potato, celery, silver beet, carrot, cauliflower, beans, peas. Do not add rice or pasta or any other grain product. Cooked food is easier for your dog to digest/process. You do however have to add calcium and thiamine.

It can take 6 weeks to see any difference but in my experience you usually see some diminishing of symptoms in about 4 weeks.

Dry dogfoods are convenient and do have their place in a healthy dogs diet BUT once your dog starts to have skin or health problems and you want to address these issues, dry dogfood whether its is grain free or not, has to be removed from the diet until you decide to introduce it back after you know the findings from the elimination diet.

Otherwise you are just guessing!

And if your dog doesn't have major issues with dry dog food, it is just a matter of trying the 'best' choices because what a healthy dog does well on is the food you should feed them! It varies from dog to dog!

Edited by Stitch

That makes one of mine vomit - and it's the one with a cast iron gut! Annoys me because I like it and would use it.

I think this proves that you need to experiment and find the best food for the dog.

My lot does best on raw in the morning and HEP/Lamb green tripe in the evening. Yep, I've tried most of the 'good' brands.

When I first got my pup, she was being fed Pedigree & Optimum supermarket kibble.

On Pedigree she was fine but Optimum made her itch(pretty sure it was because of the amount of grain/corn), so I got Black Hawk and she's been on it ever since - she's generally healthy, happy and her coat is great.

Pro Plan have a new Sensitive Skin/Stomach formula out and it doesn't look half bad although it still has a few grain ingredients.

Before I got BH for my pup I put her on Canidae which made her sick(vomit & diarrhea) for up to a week and I only gave her a hand full of it.

May I please ask where those who purchase Taste of the wild and Earthborn Holistic purchase theirs from? I am in a rural area and there is not a lot of choice so I will need to find online sources. Oh and which flavours have you had success with too please?

I bought my Taste of the Wild from http://www.pawsforlife.com.au/ ... it was the cheapest I could find when I was looking around. Their first couple of deliveries were very late but it smoothed out.

Thanks Sabbath.

Since I was comparing Taste of the Wild and a few other brands which were all imported from America, I don't see how it being an American website made it any less relevant.

I found it hard getting a breakdown of all the ingredients on some brands from their websites alone, and the analysis website also helped me interpret what the ingredients actually were and what benefits/negatives they brought to the food. It also taught me what to look for in products that weren't listed on the site which I could then apply to the feed available at my pet food supplier.

As someone without prior experience in feeding premium kibble, I found it helpful.

Edited by Lasareina

Try this one.

http://www.vippetfoods.com.au/home/0,27136,113632,00.html

I have used it for a couple of my dogs and it does the job, is readily available and very reasonably priced. The dogs really like the taste and have no hesitation in eating it.

I have also used Canidae which is good as well.

My dogs eat the vip ones for treats, they really like them but it's not their whole diet. It's good that they are stocked in woolworths so you don't have to make special trips to pet shops