Greyhound Industry On 7.30

samoyedman

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it... Very upsetting. The footage of the grey getting injured mid race made me teary, as did hearing of idiots pumping their dogs with cocaine etc. What the f is wrong with people?? It's so barbaric and pointless. I just don't understand it at all.

Yeah I just saw this but turned it off halfway because I was so disgusted. 3 billion dollars is gambled on greyhound racing in Aus per year. When there's that much money going around in one part of a very large industry you're going to have people doing anything to win to get a bigger share of the cake. Don't think it stops with greyhounds, horseracing has also come under the spotlight for the same types of allegations in the past. Allegations which unfortunately have proved to be true.

Guest Wildthing

I watched it with great interest, but was not surprised one bit about what I saw and heard. Would love to know how many greyhound trainers still use live cats and rabbits to train the dogs with. That was not mentioned.

Edited by Wildthing

Wow. That is terrible.

Shame on all the bad people of the industry.

I am sure there are the good trainers who genuinely care for their dogs, but they are tainted by all these other low life people who dope an innocent animal..

I watched it with great interest, but was not surprised one bit about what I saw and heard. Would love to know how many greyhound trainers still use live cats and rabbits to train the dogs with. That was not mentioned.

Same here Wildthing, not extremely surprised at all.

That would also be nice to know.

I can't imagine that cats would be a popular choice. I've seen plenty of dogs that have attacked and/or killed cats and most of them have pretty extensive injuries themselves that require treatment.

One of my own dogs killed a cat one day and when I arrived home and saw her face I thought she had been slashed with a razor blade repeatedly!

I have also been bitten by a cat while trying to save her from a dog attack and I had to go to hospital with the insides of my fingers bubbling out of the puncture wounds. The dog that had a hold of said cat had a swollen head the following day due to infection from the cats bites and scratches.

Any trainer using live cats would need to have plenty of money for the vet bills following such training methods.

Depressing. I foster and try to promote the breed as pets. Those numbers are awful but not something I didn't already know. Hit me on a bad night or something though because it's got me thinking how little one person, or even one adoption group, can actually do. My (maybe) couple dozen fosters and my own adopted dogs are not even a drop in the bucket of the 17000 dogs a year they quoted. Hardly anything at all.

I do know some people in the industry. Good ones who've shed tears over lost dogs and kept pets of their failed racers. Or the one that paid for surgery for an injured unraced puppy so they could rehome him when many would have just PTS.

On the other side is one of my dogs who had a disgusting excuse for a human being as his owner/trainer. I think (sincerely hope!) that he isn't still racing after what he did to my gorgeous boy.

Ted Humphries is a wonderful man... he's been campaigning for a cleanup of the racing industry for years. This isn't the first time he's gone public - and probably won't be the last either. He's one of the premiere greyhound vets, and people travel long distances to take their greys to him - he also vets at races, so he knows exactly what he's talking about. We need many more people like him in the industry.

T.

I saw most of it but couldn't hear what was said about the Grey in the crate with all the white stuff/sores over her back (she was crying)...wtf was that all about?

Looked like the dog had injuries, maybe abrasions etc, over her body. Might have taken a fall. They have fine skin and it tears very easily.

I saw most of it but couldn't hear what was said about the Grey in the crate with all the white stuff/sores over her back (she was crying)...wtf was that all about?

Wasn't that awful to see? I'd like to have had an explanation of what the issues were and how they were caused.

It all made me feel physically sick, how something that is so corrupt and full of cruelty and vile people, can continue unabated? Unfortunately greed overrides all the good qualities such as conscience and principles, as with horse racing and other awful things that go on in the world.

I couldn't watch all of it, the terrible lengths people will go to for the love of money. Most if not all of the monsters on this earth, walk around on two legs. : ((

So true!

Thrown onto council rubbish tips - with ears cut off, plus all the other tricks of the trade. Filthy human beings. :cry:

I didn't see the program but from what people have said, thank goodness viewers were shown the worst of greyhound racing.

There's limited time in a TV segment, but did they show by way of contrast, what the best in the industry do?

Having been a neighbour to a decent racing greyhound owner, I reckon these people should be the required benchmark. Anything less, should be wiped out.

I've also seen the GAP (Greyhound Adoption Program) doing their stuff, via our tibbie being a 'small dog tester'. Greys with beautiful temperaments, from trainers/owners who've cared for them well & now in the hands of experts at rehoming. I can only rave about the magnificent dogs I saw. Again, this should be the required benchmark. Nothing less...!

Edited by mita