Martingale Collar

rosieme

I've been thinking about starting up a little store and making them myself. However, I get mine from Collar Town, Wetherby Collars (or something like that) who are both on Etsy or 2 Hounds Design. All do great work.

I'd strongly suggest not going down this path though. I have multiple collars for my hounds. They are addictive!

There a quite a few stores on Etsy that swell martingale collars- some really nice ones to be found. I have one from 'A Ring Around the Collar' which is lovely, maybe Google them as well?

Second this!

The hound haberdashery on Etsy has some nice patterned ones too.

Edited by Steph M

So is there a market for someone doing fabric martingales? I'm not talking mass production but some fun designs in whatever sizes?

I think Friends of the Hound sell some, but it looks like they import from the US anyway.

There's not a huge amount available in Oz. They are also sometimes cheaper from overseas.... :o

I've often thought of making some but... you know... time... :laugh: Even Spotlight has some awesome ribbons that would look nice. And the prizes at the NSW Hound Club show last week were locally made I think - matching leads & collars.

Edited by Alyosha

Wow!! How would you stop ordering? I'm thinking of getting Greyhounds just to buy the collars :laugh: :laugh:

We don't stop. There are support groups available though.

:laugh: :laugh: Hullo, my name is Brandiandwe, and I am a greyhound collar-aholic.

Hello my name is Ososwift and I have a terrible collar addiction.

I do make my own, this now means instead of just having copious collars, I have bags of ribbon, webbing and metal hardware for making said collars. These take up more room than my collar collection and I think I have spent more money on the items required to make them - as you always have to buy just a couple of metres of the new ribbon that is divine - than I would have if I just bought collars.........

It is fun though and you can make a new one as often as you please. I give mine away when I have a bit of a collection of previously worn collars :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I'm not a huge fan of the fabric martingales because realistically, they're not safe to walk a grey in. I had a dog (the old boy) break a collar by lunging after a cat and it was a terrifying experience. These days, they only get walked in their BlackDog martingales. Fancy tag collars, on the other hand.. I liked that idea enough that I started making them. With tag collars, strength isn't an issue so you can do all sorts of stuff and they're still functional. I suppose a fabric collar with a proper webbing base would be a different story but they seem hard to come by, especially decent quality ones that could actually be used for walking.

All my martingale collars have the webbing base and welded fittings, would use nothing else. The webbing is similar to seat belt material so super strong. They are proper martingales which require adjusting each time they are used, not just slipped on and off. I have some 2 inch collars but much prefer 1 1/2 inch and don't like the black dog martingales at all. We all have different tastes and experiences :)

Wow!! How would you stop ordering? I'm thinking of getting Greyhounds just to buy the collars :laugh: :laugh:

Beleive me DD it was hard to pick just two :)

I've had these for a few years now and they are still in perfect condition, excellent quality.

I admire your restraint :thumbsup: . Just doing a very fast scroll, I could have ordered about a dozen.