Halti For Training?

Our local training club has a Halti compulsory for beginner Obedience training.

I'm in a regional area, so nowhere else is practical for me to go to.

What are your thoughts about Haltis?

I've never used one before and didn't plan to, just a flat collar and lead.

Is for a standard poodle who'll be 6 months if starts training there next year.

Thanks, guys!

That's really hard if it's the only club. Is it possible to talk to the club and see if there are alternatives - and also ask how long the dog has to keep wearing the halti. And ask them what their rationale is - tactfully of course. :)

Personally I've never used a Halti, or any other similar thing - so I can't really advise - but I think of them as a kind of interim device that you might only use if you really needed it and that you'd be aiming to get rid of as soon as possible.

A halti has its uses .. but I do not think it should be compulsory :( That does make it difficult for you ..they have a 'captive audience' .

Perhaps a halti can be used there ..and a flat collar at all other times?

Just make sure the pup sees the halti as fun! get one fitted appropriately .. then show it pup ..treat/play ..and withhold treats except when pup has halti on ....do his favourite activities /use his VERY favourite treats .

A halti can feel very restrictive to a dog unused to it ... IMO this is one reason they appear to 'instantly' help ;) pup/dog treads very carefully because of the fact their head feels enclosed .....

I am not a fan of head collars, but that aside, I don't understand why it needs to be a requirement to use one (I feel the same way for clubs that require owners to use check chains etc).

Like Tassie suggested I would speak to the club and ask if it is a strict requirement. Also, what are your goals for training your dog? do you want a well behaved and reliable pet, or do you also want to train with the goal of competing?

Just get a double-ended leash and attach the other end to a flat collar. Condition your dog to the head collar thoroughly first, lots of treats for putting their nose willingly through the loop, then when you do it up, undo it straight away the first dozen or so times and another treat.

Funny rule, makes you wonder...

Just get a double-ended leash and attach the other end to a flat collar. Condition your dog to the head collar thoroughly first, lots of treats for putting their nose willingly through the loop, then when you do it up, undo it straight away the first dozen or so times and another treat.

Funny rule, makes you wonder...

Yes, indeed :)

I don't train with any particular club, certainly not a local one, it is possible. In my personaly experiance, one or 2 lessons with a "good" trainer, is worth a dozen or 2 with a mediocre trainer. you tube is great too. If they "insist" that you use a halti, and you do not want to. go elsewhere.

A behaviourist put one on Ziggy once and he scratched his face so badly trying to get it off in just a couple of minutes that it was then suggested that perhaps it wasn't the best tool for him.

I guess they have their place and I have heard quite a few success stories of people that have used them but every dog at our club that wears one, spends most of the class pawing at their faces to get it off - so I don't imagine they are very comfortable for dogs.

There are some rules at clubs that make perfect sense, dogs on lead at all times (unless under supervised training), vaccinations up to date and checked annually, pick up your dogs poop etc but telling someone what they HAVE to put on their dog for training is just silly..

Sure they could recommend them to owners having issues, but to be a requirement to train there is pretty dumb (just my opinion)..

I would talk to the club and ask if they are bendable on that rule at all, if you don't want your dog to use one.

I like Halti's in the right circumstance with the right dog. I use one on my girl sometimes, but my boy I haven't (as yet!). However I don't like the idea of it being compulsory, I think you need to be able to use the right tool for you to train your dog. I have much more understanding of excluding one or two types of tools as at least there is still a range that you can use than I do of being able to use only one. Odd! I'd be asking why this is their policy.

I would be concerned about this rule.

I didn't like halti's but since I had 2 little dogs who were easy to train it wasn't something I considered.

Then came the working kelpie! Loved the gentle leader then. She was very reactive and also self rewarding everywhere and ignoring me until I introduced the gentle leader. It was used for a short while but now she has a flat collar or off leash. It served it's purpose which was to keep her focus and control what she was looking at ( with rewards for correct behaviour).

But the main thing was taking the time to introduce the halti properly. For a week she was fed thru the noseband. Then she wore it while eating her tea. Eventually she had it on fitted correctly which means she can still eat and tug with the halti on. So in class etc she didn't roll around or paw at her nose to remove the halti as she was used to it. Mind you she still dislikes it as she has less freedom to do her own thing. Independent little miss.

I can't help but wonder if beginners know how or spend the time to introduce the halti properly. The first class at this club, most dogs would be so busy trying to remove the face contraption that not much training would be done. I hated seeing dogs madly trying to get rid of this facething as they aren't comfortable in it.

Sometimes hard to question these rules. Love to know how it goes?

If they won't budge I'd travel or get private lesson. Better still, ask the dog club where they recommend you can train where you don't have to wear the halti. Ask club members for suitable trainers in the area. Might make them think.

I don't like rules that dictate what tool people must use on their dog. We are open-minded at our school in that respect. In fact, I encourage people to come with their dogs on a flat collar if possible and this gives me a chance to observe and coach the handlers' lead-handling skills and from there determine as to whether another training tool style is required and gauge what style would most suit that particular dog and handler.

That said - I do not allow head-collars at our school. The reason? Because the handling of leashes for neck training collars is vastly different than for head-collars. In a group training session, calling out tips/reminders/demonstrating in the course of coaching handlers who are using neck training collars would not necessarily be good or right for those using head-collars.

So I can see the reason why a school would suggest 'all-or-nothing' when it comes to either using or not using head collars in a class situation. If the school is 'pro' head-collars, then that is the style of tool people would need to work on because that is the style of instruction they'll be receiving. I trust they are at least flexible with regards to the brand of head-collar, though, as each one is different and the difference can make one fit one dog better than the next. If the school is not a 'head-collar school' then versatility in style of neck-training-collar applies.

Private Lessons are a different kettle of fish as the instruction given can be and is tailored to that specific dog/handler combo.

Edited by Erny

What are your thoughts about Haltis?

A halti is a management tool for people who want to manage their dog and not train it......I can't understand why a "training" club would use a halti as a compulsory collar which makes no sense at all :confused: A halti is a constant aversive whilst on the dog's head....even if they are aversive training with corrections, you need a collar device that can switch on and off........if they are training motivationally.....what's a head collar achieving :confused:

Edited by Santo66