Breeds That Are Least Prone To Health Problems

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

I would choose a dog breed that has

1. A normal conformation. Ie not brachycephalic or chondrodysplastic and not a giant breed

2. A large effective population and a low Coefficient of Inbreeding (COI). Inbreeding has adverse consequences in terms of loss of genetic variability and high prevalence of recessive genetic disorders.

This paper discusses Breed-Predispositions to Cancer in Pedigree Dogs and may interest you. It even lists breeds associations to canine mast cell tumours (in America). Pugs are among the over presented breeds including Boxers, Shar peis and Labradors.

If you're not a scientific paper reading type, read this magazine article which discusses cancer in dogs and ranks breeds in terms of susceptibility to cancer http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704342604575222062208235690

Here is another paper that has a list of breed related disorders which may help you make an informed decision. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090023309003645

Given this information I would consider breeds that have an open (or only recently closed) breed registry, a large number of unrelated breeding animals, or landrace breeds. I'd look at working herding breeds (kelpies, koolies, working BCs etc), tenterfield terriers or mini foxies, racing greyhounds. Maybe even consider a mixed breed dog (more likely to need cranial cruciate ligament repair, but less likely to get dilated cardiomyopathy, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, and hypothyroidism)

Good Luck!

Thank you very much for this information :)

I just found a page, in a canine cancer book I own, that has a list of breeds with a higher rate of cancer (and the type of cancer they are prone to). It says "Some Examples of Dog Breeds with Higher Cancer Rates" and it includes Pugs. It says:

"Pug - Mast cell tumour, gliomas (brain cancer)"

Sorry, I'm not going to list all the breeds and the cancers they are prone to.

The book is called "The Dog Cancer Survival Guide" and it is written by Dr Demian [sic] Dressler, DVM and Dr Susan Ettinger, DVM, Dip. ACVIM (Oncology) and it is on page 82.

eta

Sorry SamMan, I edited to include the page number :laugh:

Edited by Maeby Fünke

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maeby Fünke

There's more. I also found this paragraph on the next page (sorry, it's 3am and I'm half asleep):

"Inherited Bad Genes

Certain dogs have been bred over many hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of years. Human intervention has strengthened certain traits, including intelligence in herding dogs, acute smell in hounds, and cooperation in sporting dogs. Sometimes less visible traits have been passed down as well, including DNA encoded for cancer development. This is why some breeds are more prone to cancer overall and why certain breeds are more prone to certain cancers.

For example, if two individual dogs with the same cancer-causing mutated gene are mated, their pups have a much higher probability of developing cancer than the parents.

There are also entire breeds with a very high probability of developing cancer. Both Boxers and Golden Retrievers have exceptionally high cancer rates, and 75% of Goldens die of cancer.

Responsible breeders can help improve bloodlines by avoiding breeding dogs whose parents or grandparents developed cancer. If a tendency to develop cancer is in the historical breed line, it will always be a potential hazard in descendants. This is probably why mixed breed dogs have much lower cancer rates than purebred dogs."

Page 83, from "The Dog Cancer Survival Guide" by Dr Demian Dressler, DVM and Dr Susan Ettinger, DVM, Dip. ACVIM (Oncology)

That took ages to type!

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

I think that the subject of this post is a completely legitimate question to ask and even though people are saying that lines are more important than breeds, I do think it is the case that there are breeds that seem to be more prone to health issues than others. It doesn't mean that all dogs of that breed are sick.

Bernese Mountain Dogs don't have the greatest longevity and many die of cancer, there are many Boxers who get cancer, Dalmatians can be prone to hyperuricemia, certain breeds are more prone to HD, skin problems, breathing problems than other breeds etc etc Yes, it depends on the lines to a certain extent but statistically there are breeds out there that seem to have more issues.

Kelpies can definitely get cancer, Cerebellar ataxia, HD, epilepsy etc but I still think it's less common. Kelpies don't have the best longevity - the little dogs seem to have that, but a healthy Kelpie has a good chance at a pretty good life span. Same with Koolies. I do think your chances of a healthy dog will be increased if you go with an ethical breeder of working dogs ...

Thanks very much and I love your dogs. I don't think it's such a crazy idea either :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

Okay, I'm going to type out the list of breeds with a higher rate of cancer...

Arctic breeds - Perianal adenomas, adenocarcinoma

Beagle - Transitional cell carcinoma, perianal adenomas

Basset Hound - Lymphoma, nasal tumours

Bernese Mountain Dog - Histiocytic sarcoma (aka malignant histiocytosis)

Boston Terrier - Mast cell tumour, gliomas (brain cancer)

Boxer - Lymphoma, mast cell tumour, brain cancer, skin hemangiosarcoma, gliomas (brain cancer)

Chow Chow - Oral melanoma (especially tongue)

Cocker Spaniel - Anal sac carcinoma, mammary cancer (along with other Spaniel breeds), oral tumours including melanoma, perianal adenomas

Collie - Transitional cell carcinoma, meningiomas (brain), nasal tumours

Doberman Pinscher - Osteosarcoma, oral tumours, brain tumours

English Springer Spaniel - Mammary cancer, anal sac adenocarcinoma

German Shepherd - Hemangiosarcoma, mammary cancer, nasal and oral tumours, osteosarcoma, and anal sac adenocarcinoma

Golden Retriever - Osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, lymphoma, brain, mast cell tumour, anal sac adenocarcinoma, oral tumours including fibrosarcoma

Great Dane - Osteosarcoma

Keeshound - Nasal tumours

Labrador Retriever - Hemangiosarcoma, lymphoma, mast cell tumour, oral fibrosarcoma

Poodle - Mammary cancer (toy and miniature breeds), oral melanoma

Pug - Mast cell tumour, gliomas (brain cancer)

Rottweiler - Osteosarcoma, heart hemangiosarcoma

Scottish Terrier - Oral tumours including melanoma, transitional cell carcinoma, brain

Sharpei - Mast cell tumour

Shetland Sheepdog - Transitional cell carcinoma, acanthomatous ameloblastoma (oral tumour)

St Bernard - Osteosarcoma

West Highland Terrier - Transitional cell carcinoma

*Note: This lists some common examples of breed-related cancers, but it is not comprehensive

Page 83, from "The Dog Cancer Survival Guide" by Dr Demian Dressler, DVM and Dr Susan Ettinger, DVM, Dip. ACVIM (Oncology)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Kelpies can definitely get cancer, Cerebellar ataxia, HD, epilepsy etc but I still think it's less common. Kelpies don't have the best longevity - the little dogs seem to have that, but a healthy Kelpie has a good chance at a pretty good life span. Same with Koolies. I do think your chances of a healthy dog will be increased if you go with an ethical breeder of working dogs ...

But buying ANY breed simply on the basis of its apparent lack of health issues is no guarantee of a good "fit" for dog and owner. I can't imagine too many pug owners finding the switch to a working breed an easy one. I think a few of the working breeds have issues that any potential buyer needs to think about and to be quite frank some temperament issues are emerging in the most popular working dogs.

Many of my agility friends have working breeds and I would not consider them as being less prone to health issues than most dogs I know. There have been joint issues (HD, OCD) and IMHA within the dogs owned by my immediate circle of friends and these dogs obtained from sound lines and that have the best husbandry.

I can understand trying to avoid a breed with severe heath issues but "healthy" breeds still have to have other characteristics that make them a good match for you.

Oh, with Whippets its hearts. Few Whippets die young but their hearts often go in the end - strokes etc. Mind you, most vets will tell you they will see a Whippet for a few stitches here and there due to skin tears but that's about it.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Given this information I would consider breeds that have an open (or only recently closed) breed registry, a large number of unrelated breeding animals, or landrace breeds. I'd look at working herding breeds (kelpies, koolies, working BCs etc), tenterfield terriers or mini foxies, racing greyhounds. Maybe even consider a mixed breed dog

Good Luck!

Racing greyhounds get osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and pannus (eye disease which will blind them if not treated) amongst other things including thyroid problems.

Given this information I would consider breeds that have an open (or only recently closed) breed registry, a large number of unrelated breeding animals, or landrace breeds. I'd look at working herding breeds (kelpies, koolies, working BCs etc), tenterfield terriers or mini foxies, racing greyhounds. Maybe even consider a mixed breed dog

Good Luck!

Racing greyhounds get osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and pannus (eye disease which will blind them if not treated) amongst other things including thyroid problems.

How closely they are related isn't as important as having knowledge of the pedigree and the lines of the dogs you are breeding.

I have had beagles for 40 years bred hundreds of them - never seen or heard of one with cancer and if I bring in dogs I have no knowledge of their family health history I run a greater risk of spotting cancer or numerous other things in a couple of generations than I do by breeding a dog I know hasn't had any ancestors with a problem. The advantage a knowledgeable breeder has when they breed purebred dogs is being able to identify and eliminate as many risks as they can - using science and historical knowledge not just using dogs because they are less related and hoping it doesn't happen relying on luck. Mixed breed and cross breed dogs are not immune to developing cancer.

Thanks very much and I love your dogs. I don't think it's such a crazy idea either :)

Awwww. I didn't realise you knew my monsters :) They are awesome dogs - smart, great company and also help us rehabilitate our foster doggies. I am so sorry to hear about your dog and am thinking of you.

But buying ANY breed simply on the basis of its apparent lack of health issues is no guarantee of a good "fit" for dog and owner. I can't imagine too many pug owners finding the switch to a working breed an easy one. I think a few of the working breeds have issues that any potential buyer needs to think about and to be quite frank some temperament issues are emerging in the most popular working dogs.

Many of my agility friends have working breeds and I would not consider them as being less prone to health issues than most dogs I know. There have been joint issues (HD, OCD) and IMHA within the dogs owned by my immediate circle of friends and these dogs obtained from sound lines and that have the best husbandry.

I can understand trying to avoid a breed with severe heath issues but "healthy" breeds still have to have other characteristics that make them a good match for you.

Oh, with Whippets its hearts. Few Whippets die young but their hearts often go in the end - strokes etc. Mind you, most vets will tell you they will see a Whippet for a few stitches here and there due to skin tears but that's about it.

HW I totally agree with you and I don't think one should ever buy a dog on the basis of ONE factor alone, whether it is appearance, fur type, longevity, health, its dog sport potential etc. It should always be based on a number of factors and each person will weight the various factors differently depending on what is important to him or her. If health and longevity is an important factor then I don't see the issue in considering say considering a dog that has a higher likelihood of good health over a dog in which certain health conditions may be more prevalent. I don't think any one can deny that there are certain illness that seem to pop up more frequently in certain breeds ...

I know you say that working breeds still have health issues but:

1. As you know, dog sports like agility and flyball etc can be pretty tough physically on any dog so if a dog is doing a lot of dog sports, you increase the chance of injury no matter how careful you are as a handler. So yes, there will be instances of working dogs with injuries in dog sports.

2. I know that some people think that temperament issues can be a problem if people are breeding to emphasise one particular trait e.g. dog sport ability at the cost of other traits. The more responsible breeders aim for a well-rounded dog - a dog that is structurally sound but is also calm and has an off-switch, is friendly to humans and people.

3. All dogs can have health problems - I have also heard of HD and epilepsy in Kelpies and BCs etc but it doesn't seem to be common - I'm just saying that there are some breeds who seem to have certain health issues pop up more regularly. There are no guarantees, all we can do is TRY to shift the odds in our favour a little more when we adopt a dog - this is done by picking a breeder we trust, by picking a certain breed, by perhaps picking a particular age group.

I know that a lot of people have concerns/aversions to working dogs and I normally do not 'push' them on people, but Maeby Fünke had already indicated in a previous post that she rather liked Border Collies and Australian Shepherds so I didn't think that she was one of those people who disliked working breeds/had ruled a working dog out of her list of possible breeds which is why I chimed into the discussion.

I can't imagine too many pug owners finding the switch to a working breed an easy one.

I am not sure this is necessarily correct although I know what you mean. I have to say that I know a lot of people with breed mixes you wouldn't expect. A few workers in the mix as well as a little lap dog ...

Also, aside from whether or not it's easy for a pug owner to cross to the Dark Side of the Force and own a working breed, while I know that a LOT of people struggle with working dogs (I foster for a working breed rescue so I see this every day!), I really think that it's not that they picked the wrong breed - they picked the wrong DOG. The range of temperaments even within one litter (let alone within a breed) can vary. Within the same litter, you can have the laid back dogs, the drivey dogs, the placid dogs. Out of my three dogs, our Working Kelpie Council Kelpie is the most chilled and laid back of the bunch. He could easily run 60km a day without getting tired, but in his litter, he was the most chilled and relaxed.

I am not kidding when I tell you that this is what our dogs spend most of the day doing:

sloth.jpg

Yes they love their walks, dog park, agility, play dates and doing nose works but they're also totally happy to chill out around the house as long as their humans are nearby. We live in a normal sized house and yard in Canberra. When my father was dying of cancer and we were at Canberra Hospital all the time, the dogs didn't get a walk. When we had parvo pups earlier this year, we locked down all of our dogs for a month (no walks, no dog park, no dog club, no agility, no obedience etc) until the stool samples confirmed that the pups were no longer shedding parvo and we had decontaminated the house ... Our dogs were totally fine confined to the house as long as they had their mental enrichment - tricks training and human time.

It's not just our dogs either, every single foster dog we get, if they don't come with an off-switch, it's the first thing we teach them. The dogs we take in are usually the ones surrendered for being crazy, untrained, destructive doggies and we teach them how to chill out and be couch potatoes because it makes them way easier to adopt out if they've got that off-switch. The actual 'workers', don't come to us for fostering and will go to a different carer who trains up their working ability and I agree that those dogs might not be happy with your average owner as a pet BUT as I mentioned before, it's all about finding the right dog and I believe that anyone can own e.g. a Kelpie as long as they want to own a Kelpie and they pick the right one and are willing to provide it with the appropriate level of intellectual and physical enrichment. Everyone has to start somewhere - before we owned Elbie my husband was a cat person and I hadn't ever owned my own dog let alone a working dog - we are also the world's worst desk potatoes ;)

Edited by koalathebear

Guest Maeby Fünke

I just found this on page 310 of "The Dog Cancer Survival Guide":

"Which Dogs Are at Risk for Mast Cell Tumours?

The cause of MCT is not known, although we do know a few things about what can predispose a dog to developing it. Dogs of any age, and either gender, can develop MCT; we see it more commonly in the following breeds: Boxers, Boston Terriers, Labradors, Golden Retrievers, Pugs and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Boxers tend to develop low and intermediate grade tumours.

Chronic inflammation of the skin may predispose dogs to develop MCT, as can repeated application of skin irritants. Also, about one-third of dogs with MCT have a genetic mutation in a protein called the c-kit oncogene."

And there are six other places in the book where they talk about the c-kit oncogene.

Also, I just remembered something...

My Pug's oncologists told me that at some point, if I wanted it, they could have his DNA tested for the c-kit oncogene*.

eta

*The reason being that the cancer drug Palladia can switch off this gene temporarily (though I don't want my Pug to have any drugs).

Edited by Maeby Fünke

In the past I have lost

1 Great Dane to lymphatic cancer

2 Siamese cats. Half sisters mammary cancer for one & throat cancer for the other.

1 Doberman to mammary cancer.

No simple way to predict it.

Maybe with a completely different breed you may not worry so much.

As you can see from my dogs it is easy to adjust to breeds. I also had 2 Chihuahuas for 13 & 16 years & have had Toy Poodles for the last 22 years. I love all dogs.

:hug: its a hard time for you worrying so much about your baby.

Guest Maeby Fünke

In the past I have lost

1 Great Dane to lymphatic cancer

2 Siamese cats. Half sisters mammary cancer for one & throat cancer for the other.

1 Doberman to mammary cancer.

No simple way to predict it.

Maybe with a completely different breed you may not worry so much.

As you can see from my dogs it is easy to adjust to breeds. I also had 2 Chihuahuas for 13 & 16 years & have had Toy Poodles for the last 22 years. I love all dogs.

:hug: its a hard time for you worrying so much about your baby.

Thanks Christina, that's very kind of you :)

The problem is that the shock/stress from finding my Pug's latest tumour has triggered my symptoms of anxiety and depression in a spectacularly major way.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I promise you that I didn't make it up and I didn't imagine it (I'm starting to feel like I did now!).

Why would not one but five oncologists tell me that Pugs are prone to MCT's? I can't imagine that they're allowed to go around saying stuff that isn't true. And they're dealing with a person whose dog could die. This is serious stuff.

And these people aren't just anybody Max, they're some of the world's best oncologists.

I regret starting this thread and I'm really sorry that I brought this up. I'm upset now. And I feel like making a complaint to the veterinary board because it sounds like you guys think I'm being stuffed around.

I'm really shocked and upset because I thought it was true and I thought everyone knew about it.

I have had two different vets from two different clinics tell me that Pugs are prone to MCT's. Not that I'm saying their word is gospel, but they've told me they see a lot of it.

I promise you that I didn't make it up and I didn't imagine it (I'm starting to feel like I did now!).

Why would not one but five oncologists tell me that Pugs are prone to MCT's? I can't imagine that they're allowed to go around saying stuff that isn't true. And they're dealing with a person whose dog could die. This is serious stuff.

And these people aren't just anybody Max, they're some of the world's best oncologists.

I regret starting this thread and I'm really sorry that I brought this up. I'm upset now. And I feel like making a complaint to the veterinary board because it sounds like you guys think I'm being stuffed around.

I'm really shocked and upset because I thought it was true and I thought everyone knew about it.

I have had two different vets from two different clinics tell me that Pugs are prone to MCT's. Not that I'm saying their word is gospel, but they've told me they see a lot of it.

Not the first time I have heard this either. My first Pug (living with friends) had a low grade MCT removed earlier this year. All went well and will have to see how she goes. My current dogs are not related to her.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I've been reading about genetics and DNA... It's very technical and hard to understand but, from what I can gather, my Pug's DNA has either been damaged, which means that it could repair itself, or he has inherited a mutated gene, which means that it is permanent and irreparable.

So I've decided that I'm going to talk to his oncologists about having his DNA tested for the c-kit oncogene (the inherited gene that is irreparable).

eta

I just found out that damage can lead to mutation anyway.

Damage >>> cancer (repairable) or

Inherited mutation >>> cancer (permanent/irreparable) or

Damage >>> mutation >>> cancer (permanent/irreparable)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I've been reading about genetics and DNA... It's very technical and hard to understand but, from what I can gather, my Pug's DNA has either been damaged, which means that it could repair itself, or he has inherited a mutated gene, which means that it is permanent and irreparable.

So I've decided that I'm going to talk to his oncologists about having his DNA tested for the c-kit oncogene (the inherited gene that is irreparable).

eta

I just found out that damage can lead to mutation anyway.

Damage >>> cancer (repairable)

Inherited mutation >>> cancer (permanent/irreparable)

Damage >>> mutation >>> cancer (permanent/irreparable)

I think there's at least one more basic factor. If the immune system is functioning well, there's a chance that mutated cells will be detected and eliminated, rather than developing into a tumor.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I think this explanation, on the American Cancer Society website, is really clear and helpful. It applies to humans of course but the process of cancer development is the same in dogs as it is in humans.

Gene mutations that can lead to cancer

The 2 main types of genes that play a role in cancer are oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes.

Oncogenes

Most oncogenes are mutations of certain normal genes called proto-oncogenes. Proto-oncogenes are the "good" genes that normally control what kind of cell it is and how often it divides. When a proto-oncogene mutates (changes) into an oncogene, it becomes a "bad" gene that can become permanently turned on or activated when it is not supposed to be. When this happens, the cell grows out of control, which can lead to cancer.

It may be helpful to think of a cell as a car. For it to work properly, there need to be ways to control how fast it goes. A proto-oncogene normally functions in a way that is much like a gas pedal. It helps the cell grow and divide. An oncogene could be compared with a gas pedal that is stuck down, which causes the cell to divide out of control.

As scientists learn more about oncogenes, they may be able to develop drugs that inhibit or stop them. Some drugs that target oncogenes are already being used, and more are on the way. This is discussed in more detail later on in this document.

Inherited mutations of oncogenes

A few cancer syndromes are caused by inherited mutations of proto-oncogenes that cause the oncogene to be turned on (activated). For example, multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2) is caused by an inherited mutation in the gene called RET. People affected by this syndrome often develop an uncommon thyroid cancer called medullary cancer of the thyroid. They also develop other tumors, including pheochromocytoma and nerve tumors. Inherited mutations in the gene called KIT can cause hereditary gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs). And inherited mutations in the gene called MET can cause hereditary papillary renal cancer.

Acquired mutations of oncogenes

Most cancer-causing mutations involving oncogenes are acquired, not inherited. They generally activate oncogenes by chromosome rearrangements, gene duplication, or mutation. For example, a chromosome rearrangement can lead to formation of the gene called BCR-ABL, which leads to chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). Acquired mutations that activate the KIT gene cause most cases of gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST).

Tumor suppressor genes

Tumor suppressor genes are normal genes that slow down cell division, repair DNA mistakes, or tell cells when to die (a process known as apoptosis or programmed cell death). When tumor suppressor genes don't work properly, cells can grow out of control, which can lead to cancer. Many different tumor suppressor genes have been found, including TP53 (p53), BRCA1, BRCA2, APC, and RB1.

A tumor suppressor gene is like the brake pedal on a car. It normally keeps the cell from dividing too quickly, just as a brake keeps a car from going too fast. When something goes wrong with the gene, such as a mutation, cell division can get out of control.

An important difference between oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes is that oncogenes result from the activation (turning on) of proto-oncogenes, but tumor suppressor genes cause cancer when they are inactivated (turned off).

Inherited mutations of tumor suppressor genes

Inherited abnormalities of tumor suppressor genes have been found in some family cancer syndromes. They cause certain types of cancer to run in families. For example, a defective APC gene causes familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), a condition in which people develop hundreds or even thousands of colon polyps. Often, at least one of the polyps becomes cancer, leading to colon cancer. There are many examples of inherited tumor suppressor gene mutations, and more are being discovered each year. For more information about inherited mutations and cancer, see our document Heredity and Cancer.

Acquired mutations of tumor suppressor genes

Tumor suppressor gene mutations have been found in many cancers. Most of these mutations are acquired, not inherited.

For example, abnormalities of the TP53 gene (which codes for the p53 protein) have been found in more than half of human cancers. Acquired mutations of this gene appear in a wide range of cancers, including lung, colorectal, and breast cancer. The p53 protein is involved in the pathway to apoptosis. This pathway is turned on when a cell has DNA damage that can't be repaired. If the gene for p53 is not working properly, cells with damaged DNA continue to grow and divide. Over time this can lead to cancer.

Acquired changes in many other tumor suppressor genes also contribute to the development of sporadic (not inherited) cancers.

Last Medical Review: 12/27/2011

Last Revised: 12/27/2011

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/geneticsandcancer/oncogenesandtumorsuppressorgenes/oncogenes-tumor-suppressor-genes-and-cancer-mutations-and-cancer

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Maeby, you might want to do a little reading of past posts regarding MCT's. Not so much to learn about cancer, but to get the sort of support that comes from knowing you're not alone ...and to lessen your association of MCT's with pugs. There's an active discussion in the palleative care forum, and it refers back to some other discussions.