Puppy With No Eyes

Just saw an ad for a puppy born with no eyes for sale in Brisbane, its a little samyoed x golden. Is this true that if the litter is big the first time the pups can be born with no eyes? Just thought if any rescue helps these kind of pups.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/riverhills/dogs-puppies/blind-samoyed-x-golden-retriever-puppy-for-sale/1029900246

Please delete if this is not allowed :)

Edited by Alibi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it could be microphthalmia, which is genetic (known to be autosomal recessive in some breeds, may not be that simple always)

Yes I was going to say the same thing. I know it can happen for other reasons but I've only seen it occur in double merles.

Very possible could be, the Samoyed people in America acknowledge it does have a mode of inheritance in merles and they're not sure if it's 100% inherited in their breed. It also happens in cavies, something to do with the piebald/white patch gene.

Whatever caused it....kinder to PTS at birth. What are the chances of finding a home for the poor dog?

He will rehome in a flash. There are many people out there who like dogs with 'disabilities' for varying reasons. Some feel like they're saving them, some understand they can give them expertise or dedication.

I've rehomed deaf and blind pugs without a worry and they weren't even pups. I usually had just as many applications, and sometimes more, for the dogs needing particular care.

Being a pup, fluffy and white will increase his chances tenfold. Besides which, having been born without his eyes I'd imagine he will adapt in no time to a new home.

Guest Wildthing

Any living being who has one of the senses missing or diminshed develops the others to compensate for the lost/missing one. Given this pup has never had any vision, one of his other senses should compensate for that.

Just wish cats with disabilites were easy to home!

ETA Have just read the listing and it has had 629 hits. Quite amazing and I am sure he will find a home from one of those 'hits'

Edited by Wildthing

Any living being who has one of the senses missing or diminshed develops the others to compensate for the lost/missing one. Given this pup has never had any vision, one of his other senses should compensate for that.

Just wish cats with disabilites were easy to home!

ETA Have just read the listing and it has had 629 hits. Quite amazing and I am sure he will find a home from one of those 'hits'

Probably mostly curious people. I really hope he does find a home poor pup - and with someone who will commit to him for the long term and not just someone with a "saviour" syndrome who will dump him once the novelty wears off :( .

I've rehomed deaf and blind pugs without a worry and they weren't even pups. I usually had just as many applications, and sometimes more, for the dogs needing particular care.

Being a pup, fluffy and white will increase his chances tenfold. Besides which, having been born without his eyes I'd imagine he will adapt in no time to a new home.

I think it's very different being a breed rescue. I have experience of general rescue - all sorts of dogs, all sizes, all ages - plus Italian Greyhound Rescue (Iggy Rescue) that I run with indigirl. It's very different, we manage to rehome even elderly Iggies, some with health issues as they are a delicate breed - without too much trouble at all. Quite incredible. I've been in rescue for years - both with general rescues and I also rescue dogs myself.

Much harder to rehome a 10 year old crossbreed than a 10 year old Iggy, no matter how cute and sweet they are. Even less chance if they have anything slightly wrong with them ... can take months and months if at all.

Edited by dogmad

not sure what his energy levels would be, I know goldens are pretty easy going, unsure about the Samoyed energy wise. Fingers crossed that there is someone out there that is prepared for the long haul. Poor baby, some people really have no right to own dogs. And so they are taking the other two dogs and I can almost guarantee they will breed those again. I can't see any reason stairs would be an obstacle as long as they approach training him correctly. The cynic in me is saying all the other pups were sold easily and they are 'moving' in an attempt to offload.