Eukanuba Or Blackhawk?

kelpiecuddles

My dogs are currently eating Eukanuba but my work has just started stocking Blackhawk. The Blackhawk works out a lot cheaper per kilo for me to buy but I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on whether I should switch? In terms of feeding volume how do the two compare?

My dogs are currently eating Eukanuba but my work has just started stocking Blackhawk. The Blackhawk works out a lot cheaper per kilo for me to buy but I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on whether I should switch? In terms of feeding volume how do the two compare?

I don't know about Eukanuba as I have never fed it, but I have been feeding my two on BH for three years. They have had all three varieties & are currently on the Fish & Sweet Potato. They did well on the Lamb but understandably lost a bit of weight on the Chicken because it is lower fat & they are high energy dogs.

ETA My guys get one cup of BH at night & in the morning they get 1/2 a turkey neck.

Edited by sheena

Is there a reason other than cost that you're looking to switch KC? I only ask because I've looked into changing my two dogs' diets from Royal Canin (one gets Mini the other Medium) because of the cost factor. Turns out RC is the best choice because a lot of the other brands gave my guys sloppy poos and they lost coat condition.

If it's only cost you're worried about and your dogs are doing well on the Euk, I'd leave the food as it is.

How much do you feed your BCs per day? Would be pretty comparable to my kelpie so would give me a good idea I think

Kirra (15 kg 49cm HAW light frame) has 1/3 cup morning and again night - they have yoghurt as well

Rory (21kg 53cm HAW bigger boned) has 2/3 cup morning and again at night. Maybe a little more if they've been doing a lot.

They have training treats as well - occasional veggies and chicken wings.

They've been on BH for about 2 years - mostly Lamb and Rice, but they like all the flavours and seem to do well on it.

Having said that - obviously not all foods suit all dogs. Just saying what I find with mine.

We moved our house brand for our home/show dogs and boarding kennels dogs over from Eukanuba to Blackhawk twelve months ago, initially with our own dogs then also for those boarding with us. We go through 6+ bags per week with no side affects with the boarding dogs. The cat version was not as readily accepted by the cats and we continue with Iams as the house brand.

Dogs with strict diets still get what they and supposed to get. We still have all varieities in our feed pantry including Prescription diets.

Like all dogs foods, try it out to see if it works for you. We tried a number of varieties and basically stick with the Chicken version. Lamb and Fish varieties didn't seem to be accepted by our dogs as well as the Chicken variety but your dogs may be different.

Shop around for your best prices as I have seen some shops at around $120.00 a bag whilst some have been around $95.00 (thereabouts).

We became a distributor for Blackhawk so get at a really good rate and from our prespective it was a good move both financially (cheaper than Eukanuba-which was our previous house brand)and for meeting dietary requirements. It has kept conditioning on our dogs and clients dogs. We have a number of clients that have switched over when they saw the benefit/s and they too are happy, they keep buying and recommend to others.

How much do you feed your BCs per day? Would be pretty comparable to my kelpie so would give me a good idea I think

One metric cup of BH at night & 1/2 a turkey neck in the mornings. They might get another very small amount as we use it for their nightly trick training sessions in the loungeroom. :)

BH is all we feed, our afghan is actually maintaining some kind of condition on it she's got allergies and is generally a fuss pot... and everyone is doing well on the lamb and rice. Everyone stuck noses up at chicken but we're not having issues 3 different breedsand sizes all happy and healthy... we just adjust portion sizes as to what they need... Ella (lowchen) who's chunky monkey gets 1/4 -1/2 a cup..

Amber (Lakeland) gets 1- 1.5cups

Leo (Lowchen) - 1 cup

Xanthe afghan - 2 -3 cups

Twist (young Lowchen) - 1 puppy cup

Mind you they get extras so we do cut back on feeding the BH when they get wings or left overs... that guide is if they don't get extras. Its more then recommended but they are active and burn it off (Ella the big exception)

I have just switched my guys over to the fish one and they seem to like it. Even my Mums fussy dogs quite like it as well.

I feed mine Black Hawk and also use it in my kennels. I haven't tried Eukanuba for some time but was told many eyars ago not to use it with Dobes so haven't used it since

I have all three varieties but feed mine the Lamb as one can't each chicken and the working dog loses weight as he needs a fair bit of food to keep weight on his ADHD behind!

The Whippets get 1 to 1 1/4 cups - Lewis

3/4 to 1 cup - Rommi

1 to 1 1/2 - Wilson the puppy

3 to 4 cups - Goose Working BC

Their amount varies depending on exercise done for the day, any bones etc consumed and how their weight is going. The working BC works sheep at least half the days of the week and even when not working is flat out chasing, well, nothing half the time, but he never stops. He maintains good weight and muscle tone and has good stamina on that food and amount.

I use it in the kennels and use different varieties depending on the individual dogs needs. Mainly I use the lamb as the general fall back food. I have had allergic dogs improve and don't seem to get upset tummy issues and have had people change onto the food after their dogs having it here.

Edited by OSoSwift

I've been feeding the lamb for 4 years. My fusspot loves it and his coat and breath gave improved. He's a big fit mini schnauzer at 11kg and he gets 1/2 cup a day.

He also has mild grass allergies and the black hawk does well with his immune system.

A while ago I tried my Samoyed on the chicken & rice. I found he lost a fair bit of weight and I had to feed him quite a bit to get it back on and keep it on. Now I'm trying the fish & potato on him and my German Spitz and they're doing really well on it, I'm very happy with it. I'm going to pick up a bag of the lamb & rice and see how we go.