Eukanuba Or Blackhawk?

kelpiecuddles

I feed black hawk to my dogs and cats.

I was feeding my cats Royal Canin but i was not happy with their coat and condition so i switched to black hawk and never looked back.

I was always getting compliments at shows from every judge on my show cats condition and my other cats are the same.

My dogs are the same, coat, condition etc..all beautiful!! Everyone loves it.

We switched to Blackhawk just under two years ago. Read some concerning things about Eukanuba and my dogs weren't doing well on it at all. One suffered itchy skin on it. She's been great on the Blackhawk, they all have. Sometimes itchy skin from dry food can be due to the grain content so if your dog does suffer itchy flaky skin, perhaps look at something completely grain free such as Blackhawk's fish and potato, or Artemis is also good.

We are switching slowly to raw now, once I'm confident I have the diet correctly balanced, we will phase out the dry altogether.

My main recommendation for dry foods, which I've been learning lots about in my studies in Canine Nutrition, is to steer clear of any that list "meat by-products". This means parts like hooves, feet and hair of animals, not actually meat :( not good.

On the label the ingredients must be listed in order from the one that has the highest content to the lowest. Real meat should be the first one. If it's not, then it don't recommend it

We switched to Blackhawk just under two years ago. Read some concerning things about Eukanuba and my dogs weren't doing well on it at all. One suffered itchy skin on it. She's been great on the Blackhawk, they all have. Sometimes itchy skin from dry food can be due to the grain content so if your dog does suffer itchy flaky skin, perhaps look at something completely grain free such as Blackhawk's fish and potato, or Artemis is also good.

We are switching slowly to raw now, once I'm confident I have the diet correctly balanced, we will phase out the dry altogether.

My main recommendation for dry foods, which I've been learning lots about in my studies in Canine Nutrition, is to steer clear of any that list "meat by-products". This means parts like hooves, feet and hair of animals, not actually meat :( not good.

On the label the ingredients must be listed in order from the one that has the highest content to the lowest. Real meat should be the first one. If it's not, then it don't recommend it

Meat meal is better than meat as the water has been removed from it.

Edited by Danois

All my 4 are on BH, have been for a few years now. Bright eyes, shiny coats and lots of energy and they like it, never a morsel left In their bowls at night.

A local rural store stock it for $79 which is a bonus feeding 4.

• 3 weeks later...

My chihuahua loves her dry food. I feed Black Hawk lamb.

She is crazy about food and eats every single last crumb. I am thinking to switch to the Chicken and Rice to see if her weight alters at all. Getting a little chunky....

I have not used Eukanuba.

A few weeks on and my guys are loving the BH. No one has had any reactions, the chubby older boy has lost a bit of weight, the skinny youngster is maintaining a good weight now. Very happy human and dogs here :).

I used it for a while as a secondary/ back-up food and think its a great - just didn't suit my Westie girl in particular - she scratched like crazy! The itching stopped when I took her off it. So same as Snook - suits some dogs brilliantly, others not so much. So I'd try it and see KC. I've found for mine it must be grain free - so I use the occasional VIP grain free from Woolies - cheap and works well for the westies. But it's only ever a back-up food here - not a primary food. I feed raw mainly. smile.gif

All my 4 are on BH, have been for a few years now. Bright eyes, shiny coats and lots of energy and they like it, never a morsel left In their bowls at night.

:dropjaw: :dropjaw: Wow how could they sell it so cheap, mustn't worry about making any profit on it that's for sure!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

:dropjaw: :dropjaw: Wow how could they sell it so cheap, mustn't worry about making any profit on it that's for sure!!!!

I buy it by the pallet and I can't get it for that price.

My Cavaliers did not do well on Black Hawk. Their coats all became dull, and a couple got ill (blood in stools) while on it, including a couple of puppies. I switched back to Royal Canin and they are doing well with glossy coats again. As with everything it is trial and error. But a number of Cavalier breeders I spoke to also commented that they shared this same experience as I did.

I have my Kelpie on a BH diet.

When I first switched her onto it, her stools were very.. 'odd' and she did scratch a lot.

But I continued to feed it for a few more days and the stools & scratching eventually just stopped and her coat turned soft and shiny.

I think it just takes their body a few weeks to get used to it then it's really good for them.

I have my Kelpie on a BH diet.

When I first switched her onto it, her stools were very.. 'odd' and she did scratch a lot.

But I continued to feed it for a few more days and the stools & scratching eventually just stopped and her coat turned soft and shiny.

I think it just takes their body a few weeks to get used to it then it's really good for them.

My Cavaliers were on it for a year.

The rescue pei were all on Canidae or BH and I had one boy in particular who was very malnourished and with multiple kibble feeds a day put on the weight and condition he needed fairly quickly. So when we had a foster failure I decided to switch our other two (an sbt and husky/shep cross) to the same diet. I also found BH cheaper than the Canidae so they were getting BH and some yoghurt in the mornings (different amounts because of diff breeds/sizes) and BH and chicken necks or sardines for dinner. They were all doing really well but then the husky/shep started dropping a bit of weight and she was already a lean dog. The vet felt that as a senior (she is now 10) she needed a seniors diet. The only one we found that she would eat is Advance Seniors. Would've preferred a better quality but she is happy and healthy on it, her weight went back up and has stayed level. The others remain on their BH and they have good condition/health.