Box Full Of Puppies Cause Commotion In Sydney's Cbd

Panto

Seems like he's stuffed now when it comes to selling them, if he can't afford the next vacs he probably can't afford microchipping for them all anyway but the council will be watching pretty closely for him selling them without chips.

Hopefully they are seized or he surrenders them before he resorts to desperately selling them to someone dodgy or unsuspecting that they are getting an unwell pup who's had god knows what kind of life so far. Or worse, dumping them somewhere because it's all become too much hassle.

Hopefully he'll also be under some scrutiny in the future so won't breed more litters (though he doesn't seem like the type to responsibly separate his two adults when the bitch is in season so unless she's desexed...)

Panto, I could see comments on the story, gotta love the ones about how the pups look happy, healthy and clean. Also the suggestion that councils should subsidize desexing because vets are a rip off, how about if you can't afford to desex your pet (or manage an entire one) you either don't get one, or get one from a reputable shelter or rescue that desexes them for you, not that hard.

Can the RSPCA desex his adult dogs so they don't accidentally "hook-up" again :/

Only if he surrenders them/one, which means he signs over rights to them and can't necessarily have them back, or if they are seized based on animal cruelty laws AND THEN he agrees to surrender them or the RSPCA wins in court if he protests.

Which is totally frustrating in apparent cases like this, but there still needs to be that legal process, as dogs are the property of their owners (not that I think you were questioning that MM!).

Can the RSPCA desex his adult dogs so they don't accidentally "hook-up" again :/

Only if he surrenders them/one, which means he signs over rights to them and can't necessarily have them back, or if they are seized based on animal cruelty laws AND THEN he agrees to surrender them or the RSPCA wins in court if he protests.

Which is totally frustrating in apparent cases like this, but there still needs to be that legal process, as dogs are the property of their owners (not that I think you were questioning that MM!).

No I get what you mean, I guess I was more wondering they had any programs for low/no cost desexing, but you're right they can't force him to desex them. I wonder if he would voluntarily desex them after this has caused so much drama for him.

No I get what you mean, I guess I was more wondering they had any programs for low/no cost desexing, but you're right they can't force him to desex them. I wonder if he would voluntarily desex them after this has caused so much drama for him.

RSPCA here in ACT does offer discounted or even free vet services to people on a low income, I don't know what the actual criteria are but certainly desexing to avoid unwanted litters would be supported where possible, as you say though, the owner has to want it to even start the process. I don't know if NSW has the same option, from what I gather things are run differently.

ETA - I really hope he does decide to just desex them, at least the girl, to save the hassle. #tryingtobeoptimistic

Edited by Simply Grand

He won't have a problem getting rid of them. Thanks to all this publicity there will be people lining up to "save" them.....

Yes. Otherwise they would probably all get PTS.

The man is a feral idiot but that may not mean he has ill treated or starved the pups or mums. From the couple of photos here they look fine.

Not an uncommon thing except that he walked through the city with them all in a stupid way & went to the vets for their shots. Many of these idiots don't even bother with that.

Given the mentality he didn't drown them at birth, dump them etc.

I took a litter off an alcoholic years ago & sold them & kept the money to use to take mum & get her desexed, he wouldn't let me take the boy, needs man bits & all that crap.

The moron did actually love the pups & cared for them in a haphazard but adequate way.

Not good but there are worse things happen to dogs that are legal.

I've seen this guy walking those two adult dogs around Martin Place and other parts of the CBD before. Some people cross the road to avoid the dogs because of how they look. It's always in the middle of peak hour I've seen him - morning and evening. He comes across as a real nutter.

I'm sorry but this totally pisses me off! We've got police, council and the RSPCA all involved in a case involving one man and one litter or puppies? Why can't they get this involved and do something about an actual puppy farm which is effecting hundreds of dogs? The salary costs alone in pursuing this one man could've paid to desex the adult dogs, remove, accommodate, vet care and rehome the remaining puppies with a rescue group. More action, less fricking talk.

You'll probably find that, as he apparently was pushing them around the CBD in a wheelie bin that various agencies had numerous complaints. They all have to sort through that and resolve the bits that are their various responsibilities.

If the owner refuses to surrender the dogs or the pups none will be getting desexed or rehomed through rescue - whether affordable or not.

I know Aloysha but I just wish they were willing to put this much effort into other bigger ongoing abuse cases that are happening day in and day out too. He's just one man, two adult dogs and one litter of puppies and they still haven't sorted him out either! The amount of resources being wasted and achieving nothing bugs me today. Tomorrow I may not care so much!

I'm sorry but this totally pisses me off! We've got police, council and the RSPCA all involved in a case involving one man and one litter or puppies? Why can't they get this involved and do something about an actual puppy farm which is effecting hundreds of dogs? The salary costs alone in pursuing this one man could've paid to desex the adult dogs, remove, accommodate, vet care and rehome the remaining puppies with a rescue group. More action, less fricking talk.

So they shouldn't bother getting involved in small stuff?

Don't mean that either Mini - just cheesed off that one case has attracted so much enforcement attention, probably due to publicity and public outcry. If they have excessive manpower for this then why don't they have it for some of the other ongoing cases involving puppy farms and the like? Why don't they respond en masse when we express outrage about those? Is it because it isn't so visible? The money in manpower alone that has gone into this case already could've achieved so much for so many more dogs in need and it could've also ensured these particular dogs were vetworked and safe rather than just talking about it. I bet that will still fall down to rescue, while others claim pats on the back for it. I know the system doesn't work like I wish it did. I'm just being a moaner. I truly wish these dogs and puppies well but am struggling to let go of the hypocrisy of the overall system regarding animal abuse and neglect in general.

Maybe we should take all these damaged souls currently in rescue into our respective CBD's and something might change? Maybe we should show and shock the public so they can see in the flesh how bad it can get for some animals? I wonder are people getting immune to looking at graphic images on their computers, TV's and phones? Maybe they need to see it in real life to take a stand and express their dissatisfaction so police, council and RSPCA will act? Maybe that is what has happened here and we can learn from it?

Mind you, if rescue took a bunch of damaged dogs into their CBD's to share a few home truths with the public they would be pegged as nutters.

In my kennel days we had one client who looked and sounded a lot like a rural version of this guy. His dogs were the mainstay of his limited sanity. But he refused to desex, consequently ended up with a large litter of mother x son puppies. We could never convince him to desex his dogs. He lived in a hovel, and a large fraction of his welfare payments went to dog care.

It gets very sad when the mentally ill find dogs are better than medicine. It's hard to know what to do to help.