Stands..

I have accepted a challenge to get my older, totally untrained bitch trained and enter her in ccd next year, game on! she is a smallish English springer, whos main purpose in life is to be cute and loving. she sits, and drops, more or less on command, however, she's quick! those who know me, know I'm used to larger, slower moving dogs, so now, I'm stumped, when I give the "stand" command and signal, and try to prevent the drop/sit reaction to me halting, she's so fast, or I'm too slow (it's a long way down) she's VERY food motivated. this morning I've switched to luring her back up into a stand (saying "stand, good stand") then treating, but wondered if there was a better way.

post-5154-0-59185100-1382060221_thumb.jpg

I have accepted a challenge to get my older, totally untrained bitch trained and enter her in ccd next year, game on! she is a smallish English springer, whos main purpose in life is to be cute and loving. she sits, and drops, more or less on command, however, she's quick! those who know me, know I'm used to larger, slower moving dogs, so now, I'm stumped, when I give the "stand" command and signal, and try to prevent the drop/sit reaction to me halting, she's so fast, or I'm too slow (it's a long way down) she's VERY food motivated. this morning I've switched to luring her back up into a stand (saying "stand, good stand") then treating, but wondered if there was a better way.

Practice without the dog, all one smooth action, start luring but fade it quickly, the luring becomes the signal. Draw the dog forward at nose level, a drawn dog can't sit!! I suspect you are stopping to do the stand and that is where the sit opportunity is being taken. Stop on your right foot. You could always do groundwork on a box or table if the dog is small

I think we should consider all positions are not taught as something static, think of it as bringing the dog into a sit, a stand or a down.............hope that makes sense but that is how we get perfect positions, straight and close in all of them.........dog learns quickly because if we do it right, he can't fail to please!!

I've got two littlies myself and they're slowly improving their stand. I find the position of my hand is very important when you're stopping at a stand. Too high and they're straight into a sit and too low, they're dropping, hand needs to be right in front of their noses, a treat to nibble on will take their minds off the usual response to sit when they stop as well.

Although once I have Sarah into a nice stand any attempt to reach for a treat to reward her she has her bum on the ground faster than I can say....well..sit :laugh:

Once in the stand there's lots of strokes on the head and the back and a bit of support on their sides so they know you want them to keep standing.

It is tougher with smaller dogs, I'm only 30 and my back gets pretty sore after a few heel exercises when I'm using a lure

• 2 weeks later...

Use a touch/target stick instead of bending down over the dog.

We start by teaching stand with our right leg ahead (as if mid step) so dog isn't thinking you have stopped and want automatic sit.

You can also get dog to walk backwards at heel for a few steps ( we are doing this for tight left turns, make the turn then immediately walk back) gets them thinking of backend not just being used for sitting!

Waldo stars at anticipation so I say stAND ('and' really) because as soon as I say 's' he sits (which on rare occasions may anticipate a different word starting with 's" from the handler). The other thing I tried with Waldo is teaching positions not only in the heel position.

she's fast... I'll give her that... still dropping that butt. I'm having to lure the stand. otherwise she just sits there looking at me! at this stage, i'm just working with her in front of me, in the lounge. might try a few gentle heels outside tonight.

google the Susan Garret method of teaching a stand. Makes a game out of a hand touch. I did a quick bit of it on one of my kelpies and she responded fast. I don't do obedience so haven't done a lot of it. Made it fun for the dog. There are videos of how to do it.

google the Susan Garret method of teaching a stand. Makes a game out of a hand touch. I did a quick bit of it on one of my kelpies and she responded fast. I don't do obedience so haven't done a lot of it. Made it fun for the dog. There are videos of how to do it.

Thanks for that, will go and have a look..

The stand is one thing that Zig gets mixed up with.. I think it is my hand signal but can't be sure.

He does it most of the time but now and then, it is like he forgets and just sits down..

Thanks for the link to that video.

I have always sucked at the stand ( or rather teaching it to my dogs). My little ones go OK but the kelpie hasn't really been taught to stand. And the silly thing is, they all do great nose touches. I never thought to put them together so I'll give that a go and be interested to see how it goes.

not working for me so far, they still drop/sit, then just come up on thier haunches

Which hand are you using for your signal? And how are you giving it, too fast, too slow, not steady at nose level? Are you slowing down and leaning slightly forward when giving the signal? Have you thought about using perch work box just to teach the stand eg, you are coming up to the box in heel position and give the stand signal on that, then weaning it down a layer to say a foam kneeling mat and then the final stage the floor?

Have you thought about teaching it up on a table till your dog has an idea of what you want, cause you can walk around a table with your dog in the perfect heel position.