Info On These Breeds

bossyboo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Thanks for all the responses..

So after reading everything , I guess we've outed the Soft Coated Wheaten. Although she still is keen on the Irish, but we may need to look into that further. Her ideal companion is.. Small/Medium dog, low shedding, like I said exercise in the yard and a small walk a day. It would get heaps of companion time with her and her husband, and they would definetly toilet train and obedience train it. So after doing some research ourselves she likes the Snauzers mini.. and the Westies.. She has had a Australin Terrier growing up. A Question about the Cairns are they low shedding and is the coat heavy do they do well in a hot climate? As she likes the look of them aswell. Not too sure on the Airedale thought they might be abit big? I don't know a lot about them though. The lowchen might be a possibility just the grooming might be too much. Sandra777 a Border Terrier is also another they seem to like although they have never seen one in person before.. She is extremely excited about getting this dog and wants to make the right choice.

My sister's irish terrier sheds like the clappers. I am still getting irish terrier hairs out of my car years after he was last in it. Irish terriers need A LOT of exercise. A small walk, as I said, will not do.

The border terriers I have met have been sociable, robust little dogs, if I was going the terrier route I would pick them. Not sure if they need more exercise than she can provide though.

The border terriers I have met have been sociable, robust little dogs, if I was going the terrier route I would pick them. Not sure if they need more exercise than she can provide though.

Norwich and Norfolk's are also awesome little dogs.

Aussie Terriers are high under rated, for the most part they have lovely temperaments and they certainly are hardy

Hi Thanks for all the responses..

So after reading everything , I guess we've outed the Soft Coated Wheaten. Although she still is keen on the Irish, but we may need to look into that further. Her ideal companion is.. Small/Medium dog, low shedding, like I said exercise in the yard and a small walk a day. It would get heaps of companion time with her and her husband, and they would definetly toilet train and obedience train it. So after doing some research ourselves she likes the Snauzers mini.. and the Westies.. She has had a Australin Terrier growing up. A Question about the Cairns are they low shedding and is the coat heavy do they do well in a hot climate? As she likes the look of them aswell. Not too sure on the Airedale thought they might be abit big? I don't know a lot about them though. The lowchen might be a possibility just the grooming might be too much. Sandra777 a Border Terrier is also another they seem to like although they have never seen one in person before.. She is extremely excited about getting this dog and wants to make the right choice.

RE Lowchen grooming: in full coat we brush ours (who are show dogs) 2 -3 times a week our girl who is clipped reasonably short lol she's lucky to see a brush!! it depends on how much coat and what length you keep it at but for a long coated breed they're reasonably low maintenance

If I didn't give my mini schnauzer a decent walk everyday I think he would become destructive. As it is he gets 2 walks and when the second one is missed he needs a good training session indoors to keep him amused.

Great dogs but smart and active little busy bodies.

I'm not sure any of the terrier breeds suggested would be suitable with one small walk a day, except perhaps a cairn or Lakeland... Why not look at other smaller breeds that have been suggested like bichons and havanese? Lovely little dogs that can cope with smaller amounts of exercise

A miniature poodle isn't on the list, but would thrive on the companionship she can offer.

They're about 6-7kg, easy to travel with, easy to train, no shedding.

They can be neurotic if not trained (soon work out THEY are in charge) and left in the yard without the human companionship they crave, but if you put in a little time, fabulous companion dogs.

They get a bad rap due to the spoiled/ ignored problem, frou-frou hairstyles and people assume they're prissy lapdogs.

They're athletic, smart and robust dogs.

If she doesn't like the traditional poodle clips, you can clip however you like.

Most people thought my standard poodle was a labradoodle due to no pom poms and short clip.

The downside of 'no shedding' is that you have to get the fur off with grooming i.e. clippers.

Professional groom around $65+, every 6 weeks.

Is not difficult to DIY, although clippers are $200-ish.

You need the good ones, cheapies don't cut their fur!

We did a trip around Australia with our poodles, no problem (one mini and a 27kg standard poodle).

Mini is the easy, fit in anywhere size.

Good luck.

Perhaps go to dog shows and look at different breeds, speak to breeders etc.

Bossyboo, what is it that attracts your mum to the irish terrier? (I have two at home.)

For low shedding, I think that if your dog is getting stripped a couple of times a year,maybe. Otherwise, I don't think I'd call them exactly non or low shedding - certainly nothing like german shepherds or pugs, but that hair gets everywhere.

For me, I like the fact that they are great watchdogs (triggered by sounds, including 1/3 of the aircraft going overhead, for some reason), and they keep me on my toes. Keep in mind, a lot of people don't cope with that sort of dog, there is a very good reason why the IT is a rare breed. While there is not a malicious bone in their body, they will push. Nonstop, sometimes. And they are smart enough to find a lot of different ways to push your buttons, just because they like to see a reaction. Not good dogs to have around if you have cats, birds or other small animals (yes, there are always exceptions, but don't ever rely on that!)or you can't stand a dog that will counter surf, that will steal that tin of fish and eat the fish thru the tin on your bed, (not to mention, stealing the vegimite jar - they all figure out how to get the lid off. Do you know how scary it is 2 am in the morning and your bare toes hit that cold glass?? Trust me, its the world's fastest wake up call!)There's an Irish Terrier forum on the internet, just search Irish Terrier and Forum, you'll get there. It's got a lot of good information and stories on about ITs.

Keep in mind, not enough stimulation (and I don't think a short daily walk will cut it) and they'll find other ways - like fence running, runs in the ground (currently here at 25 cm deep, but they have been as deep as a metre), catching the local wildlife (like magpies), the neighbours cat (usually really not appreciated), redesigning your hemlines on your washing (actually, they left my stuff alone and targeted the rest of the family's clothing), adding new holes to your reticulation network, doing 'interesting' things to your gates and fencing.... you get the idea. My life is not boring with these guys around!

I wouldn't recommend a Lakeland - they are VERY naughty and strong willed dogs, for the breed experienced and enthusiasts only.

Well I have one that fits that description but our boy is much more biddable :)

Good news - we had a very naughty one for 11 years and I've met others that were just the same! We treasured him but couldn't have visitors at all and always had to walk him wearing a muzzle ..

Hi ChristineX..she loves the appearance the reasonably low maintenance coat, the I guess the watchdog aspect aswell. Her husband would keep it busy with walks and training, although he goes away every know and then so it might become a bit much for mum on her own by the sounds of it. She is leaning more towards a Westie, Snauzer or Cairn. Although the price difference is huge, Cairns are more affordable with the westies and snauzers about 2000.00 We have spoken to some breeders some very informative and helpful. Can anyone recommend some great breeders in QLd or NSW you can PM me please.!

I see you have picked your dogs out but I wanted to suggest a papillon, they are awesome smaller dogs but their sizes can range from 2.5kg to 6kgs. They are very loyal and clever, they are happy to be snoozing on the couch with you or a daily walk would do fine. I have 3 and they are the sweetest dogs and nothing can stop them from being happy! They do not require clippung like the terriers but a quick brush every few days.

They do not eat very much and shed their coat twice a year (summer and winter coat change) mind you all dogs will lose abit of fur anyway. They do not have a doggy smell and I cannot reccomended them enough lol I'm not biased because I own them....

I have a family friend who strongly dislikes smaller dogs, she has had german shepherds all her life but she loves this breed and they melt her heart lol. Good luck (y)

I can vouch for the westie, though be warned they are like potato chips and you can't just stop at one!

A pet westie is usually clipped and can be done yourself as for shedding they are not completing non-shedding ie: if you are wearing black you will notice some white hairs.

My two are happy with a walk or more a day, I find that wherever I am they usually are. They are not a lap dog however if i am on the couch they are usually there too but in their own space.

They can be stubborn at times but are very willing to work for rewards (mine have tried their hand at showing, obedience, earth dogging, tracking, lure coursing and lure racing)

They are a great watch dog.

When considering a westie I highly recommend that you go to a great breeder as skin problems can be an issue in the breed, and be prepared to wait for a great breeder then you can be sure you are avoiding any potential skin issues.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :)

Or a Toy Poodle. Mine are all lazy couch potatoes most of the time, but they have plenty of energy when it comes to going for walks. If you keep a poodle very short, you can let a few months go by without a trim but you must cut the hair away from their eyes. Also if they are very short, they appear to be NON SHEDDING.