Worried About Mr Huxley's Reaction To The Storm.

mixeduppup

Wonderful news!

I love the look on his face. 'Aren't I a clever boy, I found my way home!' Which he is, too. :thumbsup: Big hugs for the Super Smart Mr Huxley. Even tho' he gave his family a hundred heart attacks. You must be so relieved.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I have a new problem. Mr Huxley came home and was quiet but OK. But then we had a HEAP of storms, the biggest one being this morning. Since 5am he's been sitting under my bed frozen like a statue. I've tried to move him but it's almost like he's catatonic, he might give me a quick lick but just go back into his shut down, frozen state. I'm not sure what to do, he was always a little bit wary of storms before the fireworks but nothing like this. It might be a silly thing to ask but I've been lucky enough never to have a dog scared of storms until him and I'm not sure what to do.

ETA: the storm only lasted 5 minutes, now just raining and occasional distant thunder but he still won't move.

Edited by mixeduppup

I'm not sure what you can do about his current state, hopefully he'll come good soon. Maybe some food/toys to distract him?

Also getting a Thunder Shirt is probably the best place to start to try and resolve the issue long term.

Poor Mr Huxley, he's had a full on few days :(

I have lived with this reaction from one of our dogs for many years ..... (it IS better than throwing themselves against windows/doors- really) Gertie is not bad now, she's deaf .. but had years of frozen dog syndrome ..... all we did was rescue remedy ..and leave her where she felt safest ..... Hamlet was not concerned when young, but 'absorbed' it from Gert ..and used to slink off to his bed , and come out when he was ready .....

I've just been out searching for hours for my dog. The show was on tonight and I had no idea that they were doing fireworkd, no notice in the paper or on their facebook page. I had no warning and Mr Huxley is terrified of them. So tonight I was watching TV and I heard an almighty bang and realised fireworks were going off. Before I knew what was happening Huxley had chewed through the fencing at the base and somehow squeezed his way out of the tiniest hole and now he's missing. I'm beside myself as he's such a timid boy and he's very unlikely to approach anyone and much more likely to run off into the paddocks and farmland. I've posted missing photos all over facebook, searched for hours and texted the ranger to alert him. I don't know what else to do and I'm so upset that there was no warning and I wonder how many other people are worrying about their missing dogs right now as well. Rant over. I'm going out to search again.

My property runs along the fence line of the showground and every year they let off the fireworks you would think they are aiming them at our back porch. Any way as you can imagine my Maremma go nuts and run around like mad to protect their sheep and us - by the time the fireworks are over they have the sheep in the furthest corner facing away from the fireworks - but one.

She is 9 years old and the Maremma best sheep dog ever but each year she has gotten worse. Like you one year it took us hours to find her but we are at a point now where she is literally shell shocked. This year in August even when she heard them setting up the rides etc she was starting to salivate and jumped fences to get back to the house - left her sheep and lambs to do so. By mid afternoon she was under my computer desk a mess and when the fireworks started she was a screaming pile of fur and lost cause for hours. Problem is that she hasnt recovered still. She wont stay in the paddock and as soon as she is put there she is digging under or climbing over to get back to the house even over barbed wire which cut her tummy. Any bang or gunshot starts up the panic all over again. Yesterday it was thunder and started her again. Someone loaned me a scary noises DVD but seeing her so stressed and upset when we play it has put that out of the question for me - it may work but the poor thing has to go through hell when its on and I cant do it to her. Something terrible just takes over her and she has no control and othing we do makes any difference until its all over .

Im at a point where Ive admitted Ive lost the use of her as a sheep guardian so she is now in the house yard all the time but the house dog [ pet Maremma] hates her so that's a whole new challenge too. Nothing I can do about it the fireworks will be back next year and I cant see her getting any better. Poor Jade.

MUP, not sure how often you come to Wagga, but both Petstock and Petbarn seem to have big specials on this week. I can go check if they have Thundershirts on special too if you like?

Could you check what their specials are like, that would be great :)

Steve - That is horrible. I have no idea why fireworks even exist in towns. I have never been here on show night before and had no idea fireworks were on. It just baffles me why they would let them off so close to houses in the centre of town. Your poor dog.

Edited by mixeduppup

MUP, not sure how often you come to Wagga, but both Petstock and Petbarn seem to have big specials on this week. I can go check if they have Thundershirts on special too if you like?

Could you check what their specials are like, that would be great :)

Steve - That is horrible. I have no idea why fireworks even exist in towns. I have never been here on show night before and had no idea fireworks were on. It just baffles me why they would let them off so close to houses in the centre of town. Your poor dog.

To be fair Im not really in the centre of town but neither is the show ground we have a fence line we share across the back of my property which is a kilometre long and where they set up the fireworks it just happens to all happen over my back yard. icon_smile_mad.gif