Dog Show Points ?

keasarge

Can someone please explain the dog show point system to me ?

Is there a time limit? Say I got the dog desexed are the points he won as an entire transferable to his neuter championship?

thanks

There is no time limit (well except death really).

No the points earned as an entire are separate to the points earned as a neuter.

So we could earn a champ as an enture and then one as a neuter ?

How many points are needed foe a championship and how many points for first ect ?

Yes, my boy is both an Australian Champion and a Neuter Champion.

100 points is needed for a dog to become a champion.

If you win dog challenge you get 5 points + 1 point for every dog you beat including yourself (so default points is 6)

If you then go on to win best of breed you get 5 points + for every dog and bitch you beat including yourself.

There is a maximum of 25 points that can be earned in one show. e.g You win BOB (8 points) and then go on and win Best in Group (100 exhibits) you get a max of 25 points.

The same points system applies for neuter (so default is 6 points). However you don't get anymore points for beating other breeds at group level. Points are only accrued at breed level.

You can start accruing points once your dog is 6 months old. You only earn points by taking out a challenge (ie. no points if you just place 1st in your minor puppy class) - the judge has to award you a challenge.

One question, why do neuters not get any extra points after breed level when entires do??

The argument as it was put to me was that Neuter in Group and Neuter in Show are not equivalent to BOG or BIS, but are equivalent to Junior of Group/Show because it's a "limited" class (ie not every dog in the breed can compete).

Sounded like an excuse to me though because you could turn around and say Best of Group isn't open to neuters therefore is a "limited" class.

I have to wonder if this was simply an oversight and not actually a deliberate ruling?

It has already been explained very well do I have nothing to add there.

One question, why do neuters not get any extra points after breed level when entires do??

There is no award for Best In Group Neuter where all the Best of Breed Neuters compete except that at the moment most (all?) clubs only offer Open Neuter which means that those competing of Open Neuter in Group/Show were the BOB Neuter winners. Once more of the Neuter classes are offered (Puppy, Junior and Intermediate Neuter are available) then you will no longer necessarily have a run off between the BOB Neuters :)

• 8 years later...

You don't get points for just winning your age class you get points for winning the challenge and best of breed. The winning dog gets 6 points for winning and one point for each dog they beat. I think most state authorities would have a table on their website to help new people work out the points

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rebanne said:

You don't get points for just winning your age class you get points for winning the challenge and best of breed. The winning dog gets 6 points for winning and one point for each dog they beat. I think most state authorities would have a table on their website to help new people work out the points

And winning your class from Minot Puppy up gives the right to compete for Bitch/Dog Challenge. Winning that challenge entitles the dog to compete for Best of Breed.

@just started and as @Rebanne said, Dogs Vic should hopefully have some of this information available for members.  (It does take a while to get your head around it :).