Dogs Are Great Teachers.

Blackdogs

My first dog taught me that I could be unconditionally loved and that I was stronger than I thought. My second dog taught me that I could achieve my goals, the art of sociability, restraint and to take joy in life. My third dog taught me patience, self-control, humility and that I could love unconditionally.

What have your dogs taught you?

So much. Too much to list however after reading an article about why a mother doesn't want a dog for her child who keeps asking I realised I have learned that the joy & pleasure of having them ( or any pet ) is more important than having a perfect house with no marks on the doors, a perfect garden etc, being a perfectionist & impressing people.

Responsibility, kindness & caring comes easy to me but it is a thing that children need to be taught & having a dog is ideal if lifestyle permits.

They've taught me -

It's ok to eat poop.

It's ok to eat dead things.

It's best to roll in mud after showering.

If someone just left then comes straight back home again you're meant to get really excited.

Cat food is delicious and so is cat poo.

The best place to play is under the feet of the person you love.

Use your back feet and teeth to scratch an itch.

And that I should never trust the postman.

They've taught me far too much to list, but most importantly they've taught me what it is to be loyal, and how much I value this trait...in people as well as dogs. I will also be forever grateful to "Lassie", my first ever puppy of my very own who was given to be on Christmas when I was 7, who led me to my passion.

Guest hankodie

As someone who owns a reactive, "difficult" dog: patience, understanding, acceptance, love, patience, patience and patience :laugh:

As someone who owns a reactive, "difficult" dog: patience, understanding, acceptance, love, patience, patience and patience :laugh:

This. They have also taught me that I don't melt in the early morning rain and that morning walks are one of my great joys, what it means to be loved unconditionally, that lizards are to be unsuccessfully chased and birds cheat by flying. Contentment is found in small and simple things, trust is earned by increments. That the difficult, quiet dog who no-one looks at is sometimes the most rewarding.

And other things.

Damascaus my wise old man taugh me The joy of a mid day nap, feather pillows might be more comfortable but they are harder to clean up when shredded that I will never ever be alone (not even to go to the toilet hahaha)

Church my young sweet heart has taught me the joy of a zoomie run that gardens are to be dug in and that crates are the best thing ever for a naughty puppy !!!

Togther that I love doggy breath in the morning dog hair in and on everything that a dog slime covered tennis ball wont kill me

my dogs taught me how to be a better human

Yep. And not to base your experiences solely on proven science, We forget too much that way. Its usualy a long step behind experience and observation.

Edited by moosmum

So much really, especially that I know nothing and should listen, try and persevere. That people react in strange and unpredictable ways. The value of an encouraging smile from a stranger, a kind word from an Internet buddy ( yes all you folks). Small things that you work really hard for make you very happy. Every day is a new day and yesterday's mess should be left in yesterday.

Most importantly when your dog finally comes after ignoring you for 2 minutes, suck it up and praise the hell out if him. There's no such thing as fail, just a do over opportunity.