Do You Keep A Bloat Kit On Hand For Emergency S

chook007

When I was in SES dog tracking, I took a dog first aid class where they taught us how to deal with bloat in an emergency. I could see immediately that I don't have the intestinal fortitude to impale an animal in attempt to let out trapped gasses, especially not without some sort of simulation where I could make sure I was aiming for the right organ. For most of us, I think the best bloat kit is the vet's emergency number.

I think I'd have to agree with sandgrubber, it's an incredibly risky thing to do without some proper training and on a distressed dog who might be struggling, that risk just gets even worse (let alone risk of being bitten while attempting it).

I too have experienced bloat with 2 of my girls who thankfully both survived. I also have experience nursing dogs presented in various stages of bloat .....it is awful.

I def travel with a big first aid kit for my dogs.

I agree that a vet is the first port of call......but if you are away or for example camping you need to be prepared to do something.

I have only had experience with bloat with the cows from eating too much fresh clover, & thankfully havn't had this problem for years, but we used to have an oil on hand called "bloat oil" & we would give them a dose of this down a tube into their stomach. If we didn't have the oil, we had to penetrate the stomach with a very, very sharp object, which wasn't easy getting through the tough hide of a cow. If it were my dog, I would get it straight to the vet, but as the nearest vet is nearly one hour away, it is a bit of a worry. Not sure if it is something that can affect border collies as much as other larger breeds :confused: I know with the cows they could die very, very quickly if we weren't there on the spot when it happened. :(

Yes, I have them in the van and house.

I have the instructions, have seen it done at vets, been to lectures and discussed it intensely with vet and friends who have experienced it (I have lost a dog to bloat)

I used to sell them but far to many idiots out there would use it to save money rather then go to a vet.

I travel often with the dogs and we don't always know where a vet is or if we are close to one, it may buy you some extra time if you are lucky.

Yes, I have them in the van and house.

I have the instructions, have seen it done at vets, been to lectures and discussed it intensely with vet and friends who have experienced it (I have lost a dog to bloat)

I used to sell them but far to many idiots out there would use it to save money rather then go to a vet.

I travel often with the dogs and we don't always know where a vet is or if we are close to one, it may buy you some extra time if you are lucky.

Out of curiosity, what's in the kit?

I seem to remember from the briefing I got that the central piece of equipment is an ice pick.

No, but am thinking about it.

Recently lost our standard poodle to bloat, despite an immediate rush to vet.

I'm a nurse.

Have passed tubes into human stomachs, so happy to have a go on a dog.

Also fine to stick needles into abdomens if needed.

Also, planning on getting our new standard puppy's stomach stitched to abdominal wall when he's desexed.

At least helps prevent the stomach twisting ("torsion") part of bloat.

Will discuss with vet.

Excuse my ignorance, i only have small digs so i haven't had a particular need to worry about this, but i thought the torsion of the stomache was the fatal part of bloat.

Is this not the case?

What is actually involved in bloat?

If you get them soon enough a tortion doesn't have to be fatal. My dog survived a tortion where a stomach tube could not be passed.

Same with my girls....but its the after effects from the torsion that can be fatal. The part of the stomach that has been lacking in blood supply can break down days after surgery. The heart also needs monitoring post op.

I would be worried about any kit that included an ice pick!! A needle or catheter could also be used.

Education, prevention...as much as is possible, I know its impossible to prevent bloat....an know your individual animal. Also be prepared to get a speeding ticket and a very large vet bill! :)

Edited by Poodle Mum

Slightly OT and will start another thread if need be...

What would you suggest as essentials for a good doggy first aid kit?

I'll admit we have nothing but lately I've been thinking we should have a basic one handy come Summer when we tend to be out and about lots more.

Our human one is pretty poor too. So we should be given a stern smack in the back of the head :o

If you get them soon enough a tortion doesn't have to be fatal. My dog survived a tortion where a stomach tube could not be passed.

Same with my girls....but its the after effects from the torsion that can be fatal. The part of the stomach that has been lacking in blood supply can break down days after surgery. The heart also needs monitoring post op.

I would be worried about any kit that included an ice pick!! A needle or catheter could also be used.

Education, prevention...as much as is possible, I know its impossible to prevent bloat....an know your individual animal. Also be prepared to get a speeding ticket and a very large vet bill! :)

We have run red lights getting to the emergency vet at midnight .

Excuse my ignorance, i only have small digs so i haven't had a particular need to worry about this, but i thought the torsion of the stomache was the fatal part of bloat.

Is this not the case?

What is actually involved in bloat?

Bloat is where the stomach becomes abnormally large having expanded with gas or food (often fermentation of food - think a typical gassy tummy but heaps worse). Torsion is where the stomach twists on itself and causes a blockage. The extent of the twist In some cases the stomach and spleen can swap places. This cuts off the blood supply to the organs and shock quickly sets in.

This is a very basic explanation but I hope it helps. Here is a link with more detail if you are interested. My link