Turkey Necks

andrewang

Hi guys,

I used to feed Caesar chicken necks but after seeing how he just swallows them whole, I've decided to stop.

I've been snooping around the forum, casually reading and I realised many people feed their dogs turkey necks instead. I managed to get 1 for free from a butcher in QV market but he told me it's not easy to find turkey necks there. Caesar enjoys his turkey neck very much so I was wondering if anyone living around Melbourne knows where to get them? I live just SE of Melbourne but I don't mind driving 30-45 mins one way to get them.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

I tried my local Coles but they only have chicken necks and only once in a blue moon. I don't usually go to Woolies, as I prefer to get petrol from Shell and Coles provide petrol discounts. LOL. I might go take a look at my nearest Woolies and hopefully they do carry it.

The last bag I got had 4 necks in it and was close to 2kg. Our Woolworths often has them in the reduced to clear section so I got that bag for less than $3.00.

The border collies get a whole 1 each and I take a meat cleaver to 1 for the beagle.

I used to get mine from a pet-food supply store in Redlands but they have changed hands and I am not impressed with the new owners and the store looked dirty last time I was in there. I asked at my local Supa IGA (as they supply Inghams turkey wings and drumsticks for humans...the turkey comes in purple/mauve trays) if they could get me 14-15kg box of necks. The 'Meat-lady' gave it a go and as long as I bought the whole box she said she could source it from Inghams.

It cost about $2.60kg for the bulk lot (then I lug it home and spend the rest of the morning shoving the necks down the mincer-tube) :D

Sooooo, it may be worth while to ask the person in charge of the meat section at a Supa IGA if they can get a box...if they supply Inghams turkey already you may have a chance.

It might be worth asking your local butcher if he can get them in bulk lots. A friend of mine gets all his doggy friends (of which I am one) together and then orders 90kgs from his butcher. It takes a bit of juggling because everyone has to be ready to go and pick them up fairly quickly so as not to inconvenience the butcher but it works out to around $2.50kg. Last time I got 15kgs which is one box, but next time I'll buy at least 30kg. Of course you need room in your freezer too.