Told She Was Desexed.. Find Out She Isn't. Accidental Mating

Wilfred

Here is a hypothetical. Has anyone from the rescue world gone to get a rescue bitch desexed only to find she already has been? I'm only asking because I have never heard it happening before and I'm thinking if ear tattoos weren't mandatory this would be an issue that crops up. Not all rescue dogs come with vet history and I've seen plenty of bitch bellies where no scar is visible if they were desexed a long time ago or (like my girl Tempeh) the vet is an artiste! Obviously it is different with boys - saggy sacks and lack of training wheels are easier to look for than scars or tattoos!

Sold a male dog from the pound once that the vet thought had been desexed by a farmer. All was well until a little bitch (desexed!) joined the household. Turned out the dog was entire with both testicles firmly tucked up in the tummy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We often get dogs with unknown histories. NSW dogs often don't have ear tattoo's as proof of desexing. One of our girls (greyhound) was desxed during an emerency ceasar (but we didn't know that) so when she came to us she was operated on to be desexed but of course already done. But that wasn't the end of the story. We had her in foster care for 6 months when the foster carer rang up to say she was in season. Impossible we said then she took sick. Turns out that during the emerengcy ceasar they missed removing an ovary which floated around in her abdo (& was missed during second surgery because it wasn't in the right place) & had lodged next to one of her vital organs causing severe pain & sickness when it started to swell due to her coming into season. So another operation to remove the offending ovary.

I like to say she is the only dog I know that has been desexed 3 times. She made a complete recovery & found a wonderful home.

I've discussed with our vets if there is any way to determine if a bitch has been desexed & been told no. Blood tests tell you nothing unless she is in season. Ovaries & uterus are too small too detect via ultrasound (unless in season)so the only way is to open up & look. Usually successful unless things aren't were they should be, lol.

How bizarre Greytpets! She must've rued the day she was born female!

Unnessecary operations seems like a pretty good reason to get ear tattoos when a dog is desexed then! Well unless it is in the best interest of the dog not to of course. I'm sure few human beings would like to be opened up to find out their appendix was already gone!

Here is a hypothetical. Has anyone from the rescue world gone to get a rescue bitch desexed only to find she already has been? I'm only asking because I have never heard it happening before and I'm thinking if ear tattoos weren't mandatory this would be an issue that crops up. Not all rescue dogs come with vet history and I've seen plenty of bitch bellies where no scar is visible if they were desexed a long time ago or (like my girl Tempeh) the vet is an artiste! Obviously it is different with boys - saggy sacks and lack of training wheels are easier to look for than scars or tattoos!

Yes, I put a bitch in for desexing and she had been desexed. Missy was unchipped, unmarked and unregistered. When the vets opened her up they discovered she had been done but it was messy and I think there was something left (I can't recall what it was now.... Maybe the uterine stump was excessive or something??) and so they tidied it up while they were there.