100 Dogs Seized From Vic Puppy Farm

gillbear

MORE than 100 dogs kept in small wire cages have been seized from a Victorian puppy farm in what the RSPCA says is one of the worst cases of animal cruelty in history.

The dogs were surrendered to the RSPCA after inspectors found them in cramped wire cages surrounded by their own excrement.

The animal welfare organisation was notified about the intensive breeding centre after receiving a complaint and conducted the raid with a team of RSPCA inspectors, police, a veterinarian and council staff.

The RSPCA's Helen Cocks said the organisation was shocked at the number of dogs and the deplorable conditions in which they were kept at the farm.

"A large proportion of these dogs, of various breeds and ages, were kept in wire cages over their own excrement, which was several centimetres deep," Ms Cocks said.

"Wire cages are inhumane and totally unacceptable because they inhibit normal movement and pose a significant risk of leg and paw injuries for dogs and especially puppies."

Ms Cocks said many of the dogs were unable to be inspected thoroughly because they were too traumatised and afraid of people.

The owners of the puppy farm, the location of which the RSPCA has not disclosed, have been issued with several notices to comply and could face prosecution for animal cruelty.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/dogs-seized-from-victorian-puppy-farm/story-e6frfku9-1226751256639

MORE than 100 dogs kept in small wire cages have been seized from a Victorian puppy farm in what the RSPCA says is one of the worst cases of animal cruelty in history.

The dogs were surrendered to the RSPCA after inspectors found them in cramped wire cages surrounded by their own excrement.

The animal welfare organisation was notified about the intensive breeding centre after receiving a complaint and conducted the raid with a team of RSPCA inspectors, police, a veterinarian and council staff.

The RSPCA's Helen Cocks said the organisation was shocked at the number of dogs and the deplorable conditions in which they were kept at the farm.

"A large proportion of these dogs, of various breeds and ages, were kept in wire cages over their own excrement, which was several centimetres deep," Ms Cocks said.

"Wire cages are inhumane and totally unacceptable because they inhibit normal movement and pose a significant risk of leg and paw injuries for dogs and especially puppies."

Ms Cocks said many of the dogs were unable to be inspected thoroughly because they were too traumatised and afraid of people.

The owners of the puppy farm, the location of which the RSPCA has not disclosed, have been issued with several notices to comply and could face prosecution for animal cruelty.

http://www.news.com....9-1226751256639

Thank God they've been surrendered.

glad they've been caught out, but hoping that as they did surrender they can still be prosecuted if found guilty. It's puppy farms like this that should be made to pay out a set compensation to rescues and the like as usually what they produce ends up in them some way or another. Call it a victims of greed levy - but this is just me thinking aloud.

I don't understand why they have issued with notices to comply ?

Comply with what ?

Something that will allow them to keep more dogs ? Or get some of them back ?

Just reading this makes me feel sick.

These people need prosecuting & banned from keeping any animals for life. There is no excuse on earth for doing this. Even a half wit would have to know how wrong & cruel this is. :cry:

Comply with what ?

These people need prosecuting & banned from keeping any animals for life. There is no excuse on earth for doing this. Even a half wit would have to know how wrong & cruel this is. :cry:

Yeah I agree. There should be nothing to comply with because the bastards should be locked up,

Comply with what ?

Yeah I agree. There should be nothing to comply with because the bastards should be locked up,

Locked up in the cages those pore animals were

that is terrible :(

Awful, great they were caught out. But hardly "one of the worst cases of animal cruelty in history". The standard mink farm is pretty much as described, except the minks end out slaughtered. For the matter, cage chickens, or many pig operations, work on similar lay-outs.

Awful, great they were caught out. But hardly "one of the worst cases of animal cruelty in history". The standard mink farm is pretty much as described, except the minks end out slaughtered. For the matter, cage chickens, or many pig operations, work on similar lay-outs.

Totally agree.

it is the place. But yet again, nothing said also about the fact that the footage handed over to TT was taken by activists trespassing - apparently the end justifies the means, and since they did not know for sure according to them it was a puppy farm, and breaking in and filming gave them the evidence, this also apparently suggests they have the implicit OK from the RSPCA to break into any place they think is doing anything they may not approve of.

The RSPCA has admitted that even if the new laws come into place, there is nothing different that they would be charging them under anyway, since they are charging them against POCTA offences, then clearly the local councils and DPI are the ones that have been left caught out by this, since this place does look like, from the footage, that many of the areas in which the animals are filmed are less than the current standards allow, let alone the proposed new standards.

But vigilante action being OK to obtain evidence is something that should never be approved.

It would be wonderful if we could have faith that approved authorities maintained a level of vigilance in all animal related enterprises that was sufficient to ensure animal welfare was protected but this is not the case. I can't help but suspect that atrocities would continue behind closed doors, the general community would be blissfully unaware, and animals would suffer if there were no truly independent third parties involved. I am not saying that some aren't misguided or zealots, and I know that sometimes innocent people get caught up with devastating consequences, but if no legal body is doing an effective job then what are the options. Personally I am more concerned that suffering be stopped quickly , wherever it occurs, than with how it is discovered.

Sadly the law is an ass and requires due process so the issuance of a notice to comply is necessary to prove they were given an opportunity to rectify the state the animals were kept under.

it is the place. But yet again, nothing said also about the fact that the footage handed over to TT was taken by activists trespassing - apparently the end justifies the means, and since they did not know for sure according to them it was a puppy farm, and breaking in and filming gave them the evidence, this also apparently suggests they have the implicit OK from the RSPCA to break into any place they think is doing anything they may not approve of.

The RSPCA has admitted that even if the new laws come into place, there is nothing different that they would be charging them under anyway, since they are charging them against POCTA offences, then clearly the local councils and DPI are the ones that have been left caught out by this, since this place does look like, from the footage, that many of the areas in which the animals are filmed are less than the current standards allow, let alone the proposed new standards.

But vigilante action being OK to obtain evidence is something that should never be approved.

No it's not ok but this appears to be the method by which they gain "evidence" or doctor that "evidence" as was the case with the Collie Rough's.

The RSPCA and Councils can walk through any establishment any time they like, so why do we need vigilante's breaking into people's property in the name of "animal rights". Debra Tranters "poster child" was himself stolen. AA and OL think they can do anything they please and obviously they can as no one is prepared to stop them. It's about time some of them were shot.

I agree it is wrong to sneak into these places and 'doctor' evidence, but I also think that relevant Govt authorities are falling down on the job and at least it is being bought to the forefront and increasing public awareness about the problems.

In the cases about puppy factories I think that many of public do now realise the dog-horror of it all and I reckon this would not have happened if the info was not obtained by underhand means, it is the biased reporting that is unfair.

I am wondering if obtaining the information unlawfully sometimes justifies the end result of saving animals.

Lyn White's Animals Australia deserve points for bringing to public knowledge the abattoir shame in Indonesia.

just wonder if all of those people who have no problems with AR zealots breaking and entering (and potentially also bringing god knows what diseases in with them), would be of the same opinion if it was their own property and a neighbour had dobbed them in on the grounds there was something suspicious going on at their place in their opinion, and so people had broken and entered your place in your absence, gone through all your stuff, taken images any old way they wished, and set you up for charges - these people can and do make something out of nothing at all if it suits them, as their track record has shown. Would you still be, oh its OK, as this is the only way to catch people breaking the law, and I do not mind my own personal rights being able to be invaded by people who have absolutely no rights under law to do so - they are not police, they are not inspectors, they do not have warrants, they are people who are breaking a law that they believe does not apply to them, as they are operating under a "higher imperative". That kind of thinking is so very dangerous, and allowing it to gain acceptance is a true insight into just how far they have swung such acceptance

NO IT IS NOT OK - THE END DOES NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS

Enforcing the law that there is is the only way by those people actually empowered under low to do so - actively encouraging vigilantes to trespass, break and enter, and get away with it scott free is only fanning that flame, and making it that no one is safe in their home, it is more and more Orwellian instead.

And sorry, I am also not about to give any support to a group whose end game aim to is turn everyone vegan, I am not going to be dictated to by some AR zealots that I cannot eat meat, wear wool, and put leather on my feet.

just wonder if all of those people who have no problems with AR zealots breaking and entering (and potentially also bringing god knows what diseases in with them), would be of the same opinion if it was their own property and a neighbour had dobbed them in on the grounds there was something suspicious going on at their place in their opinion, and so people had broken and entered your place in your absence, gone through all your stuff, taken images any old way they wished, and set you up for charges - these people can and do make something out of nothing at all if it suits them, as their track record has shown. Would you still be, oh its OK, as this is the only way to catch people breaking the law, and I do not mind my own personal rights being able to be invaded by people who have absolutely no rights under law to do so - they are not police, they are not inspectors, they do not have warrants, they are people who are breaking a law that they believe does not apply to them, as they are operating under a "higher imperative". That kind of thinking is so very dangerous, and allowing it to gain acceptance is a true insight into just how far they have swung such acceptance

NO IT IS NOT OK - THE END DOES NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS

Enforcing the law that there is is the only way by those people actually empowered under low to do so - actively encouraging vigilantes to trespass, break and enter, and get away with it scott free is only fanning that flame, and making it that no one is safe in their home, it is more and more Orwellian instead.

And sorry, I am also not about to give any support to a group whose end game aim to is turn everyone vegan, I am not going to be dictated to by some AR zealots that I cannot eat meat, wear wool, and put leather on my feet.

OMG Linda...I hope you don't think I support PETA :bolt:

I would rather poke hot sticks into my eyes!