Dogs Get 3rd Degree Burns At A Canberra Groomers

Her Majesty Dogmad

Nothing stops grubs being grubs, we have bad drivers on the roads all holding a legal drivers license. All the laws and regulations in the world are only good if individuals abide by them or they are able to be enforced adequately.

True but some training in what seems just common sense safety would go a long way IMO.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in assuming that cage dryers are used so that the groomer is freed up to start working on another dog rather than spending the time required to dry the current dog manually - thus increasing turnover in the number of dogs that can be groomed in a particular timeframe?

The fact that 3 dogs (that we know of) have been injured at 2 establishments owned by the same person is telling, isn't it?

T.

-

In this case your assumption would be correct.

Cage drying can be done in several ways, and for a couple of reasons. The very sad thing is that it can be an excellent method of assisting drying for very elderly or extremely nervous dogs when hand drying them is stressful, and that does not mean blasting them with a constant stream of hot air up close for a long period or at temperatures that are dangerous and leaving them there to cook.

If a dog is placed in an open cage and has air flow around it is possible to direct warm or room temp air around the dog whilst it is under the watchful eye of a responsible Groomer and minimise the time needed for table drying a stressed or elderly animal. Whilst good Groomers have various techniques for minimising the stress and easing animals through the grooming process there will always be a few animals do not cope well on the table, and we sometimes have to come up with ways of working around the animal

Like the awful Buddy tragedy this was the result of human negligence. These incidents were not because cage drying or table restraints were used, they were due to human negligence and apparent contempt for the welfare of animals in their care.

Agree ...and until the industry is properly licensed and standard training practices and staff qualifications are legislated it will keep happening. Are there any current accredited courses groomers can undertake?

Its not just courses - its third party accountability that is required.

Heard about this a few weeks ago. I agree with needing regulations. It's almost impossible to know who to trust in the grooming world, not even for safety but for not clipping double costed breeds etc..

I am so glad this dog survived but it would have been a horrible ordeal.. :(

I always work on one dog at a time. They get washed, blow dried (on the table by me) and clipped. I have worked somewhere that cage dried and it was all about getting through as many dogs as possible per day.

I prefer clients to leave the dogs with me but I always allow them to the area where I groom and have allowed a few to stay who were real worry warts but I explain that it's actually much less stressful for the dogs if the owners are not there, not to mention a hell of a lot easier for me! The ones who've stayed the first time have been happy to leave them after that.

I can only imagine the pain of these poor dogs and I hope this guy gets taken for all he's got.

I've heard about dog world. apparently quite a few of their practices are shoddy.

Storm sold Dog World to Lance over 12 months ago, why he kept the name is beyond me. I have had nothing but praise for Storm he gave me really good discounts not only for the rescue dogs but for my own dogs, he groomed a lot of the dogs that were at DAS over the years that came in in appalling condition.

Maree

CPR

I had one of my dogs leg cut, when I picked her up Lance was standing behind me as I was asking the girl what happened, she said she never noticed that she was cut, she said there was no blood, and Jessica did not cry out so she did not realise she had cut her, :eek: WTF, Lance said nothing to me at all, I went straight to my vet and he put 4 staples in the wound.

I took the bill ($85) in the next day and asked the lass to give it to him and said I would like a freebie as well, she said that they had decided that I could have a freebie, well that was big of Lance....., so they had obviously discussed what had happened, I rang the salon about 3 times and took in another invoice to ask him to call me, he never did, this went on for over 6 months until I caught him early one morning at Animal Attractions, once he knew it was me he started attacking me over the phone, saying I rang and threatened to ruin his business, WTF he was doing this himself he didn't need me to do it, he said that is why he refused to speak to me, I think it was the last call I made before getting him that I said to the receptionist that it is not doing his business any good by him refusing to talk to me, and I don't know how he gets out of that that I threatened to ruin his business before that last call.

I did get the $85 and have at every opportunity told new owners on that side of town to not use his salon because of what happened to me.

I saw the second dog called Millie at my vets here in Qbyn some weeks back and asked if she was hit by a car and the owner said no she was burnt at a groomer, I knew exactly who it was and we had a long conversation about it, I cannot believe that he is allowed to continue, his licence should be taken off him and his salons closed.

Maree

CPR

I feel quite sad about Dogworld. I used to take Grumpy there for daycare for a while when Storm owned it and they used to take such good care of him. The last few times I've been there to use the hydrobaths the staff couldn't possibly be qualified groomers just because of their ages. And it was quite grimy. Wouldn't go again unless it changed hands. Part of the sale contract should have been to change the name.

I've heard about dog world. apparently quite a few of their practices are shoddy.

Storm sold Dog World to Lance over 12 months ago, why he kept the name is beyond me. I have had nothing but praise for Storm he gave me really good discounts not only for the rescue dogs but for my own dogs, he groomed a lot of the dogs that were at DAS over the years that came in in appalling condition.

Maree

CPR

I had a conversation with someone about 3 weeks ago about an experience they had at dog world and then a few months ago about the same place. They didn't give a time frame so don't know when it happened.

Maree

CPR

I had a conversation with someone about 3 weeks ago about an experience they had at dog world and then a few months ago about the same place. They didn't give a time frame so don't know when it happened.

Storm sold over 12 months ago could nearly be 2 years.

The very sad thing is that it can be an excellent method of assisting drying for very elderly or extremely nervous dogs when hand drying them is stressful, and that does not mean blasting them with a constant stream of hot air up close for a long period or at temperatures that are dangerous and leaving them there to cook.

If a dog is placed in an open cage and has air flow around it is possible to direct warm or room temp air around the dog whilst it is under the watchful eye of a responsible Groomer and minimise the time needed for table drying a stressed or elderly animal. Whilst good Groomers have various techniques for minimising the stress and easing animals through the grooming process there will always be a few animals do not cope well on the table, and we sometimes have to come up with ways of working around the animal

Like the awful Buddy tragedy this was the result of human negligence. These incidents were not because cage drying or table restraints were used, they were due to human negligence and apparent contempt for the welfare of animals in their care.

Having just tried to use a force dryer on my puppy, I can see how cage drying would be great (if done PROPERLY).

B4 Dog World's current owner, I bathed and blow-dried my standard poodle there.

It was taking ages and I asked a groomer if I was doing something wrong?

Groomer was really helpful- dog just had a lot of coat.

Said they didn't use the heater-type dryers due to them heating up and people could accidentally melting the hose of the dryer (!!) and /or burn their dog.

Imagine the horror for those dogs of being trapped in a cage (which I assume would turn into hot metal itself) unable to get away from that heat. If that was my dog I would go after that owner until he couldn't afford shoes, let alone to run another business involving animals.

When these dodgy groomers get it wrong, they really do a good job of it. I really feel for all the good and caring groomers out there. What a wonderful thing you did for Miley's family. Thank you for sharing that information with us as we need those positive stories to balance out the horrific ones.

Said they didn't use the heater-type dryers due to them heating up and people could accidentally melting the hose of the dryer (!!) and /or burn their dog.

That's a different type of dryer. You were using a HV (high velocity) dryer, these dogs were burned using a stand dryer, which is what you use to fluff the coats dry with (or cage dry for those that do it) and yes, if you use the heat on high for the HV dryers it does get too hot. The better ones heat with the motor, rather than use a 'hot' switch.

The question is how far can you "go after" these people? They can be charged with animal cruelty - paltry fine in most cases. You can claim compensation as dogs are viewed as property you would receive the dollar value of the dog. How far legal action would succeed if you sued for emotional trauma to yourself is the interesting question.

I'm talking stalker type 'go after'. My behaviour would border on being illegal. Lots of public humiliation. I'd break that bastard mentally and physically before I saw another dog suffer like that. To run a business is one thing but to ignore injury, blame it on a new staff member (the oldest trick in the book) and wait till a court case to pay compensation tells me what kind of human being he is so I'd just need to be a worse one.

The very sad thing is that it can be an excellent method of assisting drying for very elderly or extremely nervous dogs when hand drying them is stressful, and that does not mean blasting them with a constant stream of hot air up close for a long period or at temperatures that are dangerous and leaving them there to cook.

Having just tried to use a force dryer on my puppy, I can see how cage drying would be great (if done PROPERLY).

B4 Dog World's current owner, I bathed and blow-dried my standard poodle there.

It was taking ages and I asked a groomer if I was doing something wrong?

Groomer was really helpful- dog just had a lot of coat.

If the puppy is not happy with the dryer you can try using a Happy Hoody which is a thick towelling snug fitting snood basically, very calming and diminishes the air and noise from around the head.