Would You Give An Adopted Dog Back?

Staffyluv

Return or not  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give an adopted dog back to the original owner after you adopted it?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Pug has been microchipped, is registered with the council (has a council tag), has a CAR certificate (and tag) and an engraved tag with my mobile number on it.

I have tons of vet bill receipts, but I'm not sure if I still have his receipt of purchase. I haven't renewed his Dogs Vic rego for many years and I never became a member of the

Pug Club - would that help?

A DNA profile is a good idea. I might get that done.

I know his microchip number off by heart.

I reckon a microchip, along with everything else, would be ok in your case, and most cases really. Rego, vac certs and IME paperwork from breeders etc have the microchip number on them so that should be enough to identify the dog. It's only really non-chipped dogs I'd be worried about.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I reckon a microchip, along with everything else, would be ok in your case, and most cases really. Rego, vac certs and IME paperwork from breeders etc have the microchip number on them so that should be enough to identify the dog. It's only really non-chipped dogs I'd be worried about.

Okay, thanks :)

I just bought him a quick release collar from Etsy and an engraved brass ID tag from eBay :laugh:

On microchipping, when Scout got his done the vet tattooed an M into his right ear [his was done at the time of his desexing] - don't know if tattooing is still done here or not.

His is registered with the Australasian Animal Registry [AAR]

Edited by Noishe

I don't think it is ever ok to keep a dog that belongs to someone else especially of the dog escaped while being cared for when the owners were away. Yes the dog should have been microchipped but what if it had been and the chip fell out? Also why did the council register the dog without a microchip number? There is no way to compare 9 days to 7 years of ownership. In this case the RSPCA should retrieve the dog and return it to the original owner.

I don't think it is ever ok to keep a dog that belongs to someone else especially of the dog escaped while being cared for when the owners were away. Yes the dog should have been microchipped but what if it had been and the chip fell out? Also why did the council register the dog without a microchip number? There is no way to compare 9 days to 7 years of ownership. In this case the RSPCA should retrieve the dog and return it to the original owner.

Yes, but the RSPCA as usual are hiding behind legislation to avoid having to potentially pay compensation to either owner. Bet they're kicking themselves that they didn't euthanase, would have saved them a world of hassle. :mad

The facts are, the dog ended up at the RSPCA, was unable to be identified due to a lack of a microchip , served it's time and was rehomed. The dog was an unidentifiable stray and was rehomed accordingly.

At the time of being rehomed, the dog did not have an owner.

I agree with those who say it's not right to keep another person's dog, you can't simply pull one off the street and keep it because you thinks it's unwanted or neglected but this dog was rehomed legally, after being held for the required amount of time.

I haven't read all the replies, but if I had legally adopted the dog I don't think id give it back.

wasn't this a huge issue after hurricane Katrina? people adopting dogs and with the hole shamoozle owners couldn't be contacted, dogs travelled huge distances, got adopted and owners tracked them down..if it was a situation like after Katrina id give it back

Is there such thing as a breakaway collar for dogs? Like you get for cats?

yeah there are but what if your dog gets out and while out it snags itself on something and it releases the collar .. the dog wont have the id attached to it after, Seen it happen with our cat in her cat run many times with hers.

The facts are, the dog ended up at the RSPCA, was unable to be identified due to a lack of a microchip , served it's time and was rehomed. The dog was an unidentifiable stray and was rehomed accordingly.

At the time of being rehomed, the dog did not have an owner.

I agree with those who say it's not right to keep another person's dog, you can't simply pull one off the street and keep it because you thinks it's unwanted or neglected but this dog was rehomed legally, after being held for the required amount of time.

Very true, technically the RSPCA and the current owners if Mia have done nothing wrong. If I was in the same position and had legally acquired the dog through adoption and then heard what had happened, I'd have no qualms in handing the dog back to the previous owner.

It's up to the new owners as to what they do and what decision they feel they can live with.

I'd be more worried about those on DOL who think it's OK to steal an animal that belongs to another because they judge the animal to be unwanted and neglected, than getting one of mine back from the pound or RSPCA should it escape my yard.

If a dog is chipped than you've got 14 days for find it, if some do-gooder takes it off the street, your chances of finding it in their back yard are limited, especially if you have already been judged by the DOL jury as a bad owner.

Is there such thing as a breakaway collar for dogs? Like you get for cats?

yeah there are but what if your dog gets out and while out it snags itself on something and it releases the collar .. the dog wont have the id attached to it after, Seen it happen with our cat in her cat run many times with hers.

breakaway collars are useless. I tried them on my dogs and they were pulled off multiple times when the dogs played. My dogs only wear collars when we are out and about at a show or on holidays.

I feel really sad for the poor dog. So what the new owners think they have bonded with her so much they can't return her. What about the dog? I bet I know who Mia would pick and it wouldn't the be the nice kind hearted strangers that have been caring for her for 9 days. It would be her loving owner of 7 years. So if the new owners were actually that nice why would they not put the dog first? I would.

I feel really sad for the poor dog. So what the new owners think they have bonded with her so much they can't return her. What about the dog? I bet I know who Mia would pick and it wouldn't the be the nice kind hearted strangers that have been caring for her for 9 days. It would be her loving owner of 7 years. So if the new owners were actually that nice why would they not put the dog first? I would.

The loving owner that left her with someone who couldn't even be bothered to tell her the dog was missing? How do you know the dog doesn't have a better quality of life with the new owners? Mia hadn't been off the property for 7 years.

Edited by Chocolatelover

The loving owner that left her with someone who couldn't even be bothered to tell her the dog was missing? How do you know the dog doesn't have a better quality of life with the new owners? Mia hadn't been off the property for 7 years.

How can you hold the owner responsible for someone else's actions? It defies logic. She hasn't any control over the other person unless he was a remote conrolled robot and she held the remote!!

Edited by ~Anne~

yes the loving owner who has cared for Mia for 7 years. The loving owner who trusted someone to care for her dog and who didn't.

I worked in a pound for 10 years and had a well loved dog turn up, supposed to be cared for by a trusted family friend. We kept the dog for well over it's pound time before PTS. We couldn't believe the owner would not be looking for this lovely old dog. When the owner came back from holidays the only reason they knew the poor dog had ended up in the pound was because they found an old copy of the paper where the dog was listed. It was elderly and they thought it had wandered off and died. Trusted family friend never looked for it cause the food they were putting out was being eaten, they assumed by the elderly dog even though they hadn't seen it in days. The owners thought they were doing the right thing by the dog by leaving it in familiar surroundings. I dealt with the owners, I had them crying on my shoulder, they were devastated all because they trusted a family friend. So it happens.

Mia belongs back at her home.

How can you hold the owner responsible for someone else's actions? It defies logic. She hasn't any control over the other person unless he was a remote conrolled robot and she held the remote!!

Only she knows how well she knows and trusts the person that she left the dog with - I am assuming not very well. As I have mentioned before, I have been asked by a neighbour I only knew to say hello to to "pop over" and feed her dog for two weeks. She didn't know me or if I would call her if I went over to feed the dog one day and it had escaped the yard. How do you know this wasn't a similar circumstance? We don't know all the facts so it is unfair to say it is a cut and dried case of "give the dog back".

The owner is the responsible for the situation - the dog wasn't chipped and she didn't leave the dog with someone trustworthy. Was someone staying with the dog or just feeding it? The family who went to the RSPCA, chose a new family member and went home to enjoy her is at fault?? The defies logic to me. Talk about a great way to stop people wanting to adopt a dog :(

Edited by Chocolatelover