Would You Give An Adopted Dog Back?

Staffyluv

Return or not  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give an adopted dog back to the original owner after you adopted it?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel really sad for the poor dog. So what the new owners think they have bonded with her so much they can't return her. What about the dog? I bet I know who Mia would pick and it wouldn't the be the nice kind hearted strangers that have been caring for her for 9 days. It would be her loving owner of 7 years. So if the new owners were actually that nice why would they not put the dog first? I would.

The loving owner that left her with someone who couldn't even be bothered to tell her the dog was missing? How do you know the dog doesn't have a better quality of life with the new owners? Mia hadn't been off the property for 7 years.

yes the loving owner who has cared for Mia for 7 years. The loving owner who trusted someone to care for her dog and who didn't.

I worked in a pound for 10 years and had a well loved dog turn up, supposed to be cared for by a trusted family friend. We kept the dog for well over it's pound time before PTS. We couldn't believe the owner would not be looking for this lovely old dog. When the owner came back from holidays the only reason they knew the poor dog had ended up in the pound was because they found an old copy of the paper where the dog was listed. It was elderly and they thought it had wandered off and died. Trusted family friend never looked for it cause the food they were putting out was being eaten, they assumed by the elderly dog even though they hadn't seen it in days. The owners thought they were doing the right thing by the dog by leaving it in familiar surroundings. I dealt with the owners, I had them crying on my shoulder, they were devastated all because they trusted a family friend. So it happens.

Mia belongs back at her home.

Maybe so but I can't make a final decision based on a one-sided news report that was very sketchy on detail. But it would seem that people really need to reassess who they trust by the sounds of things.

So you judge everyone by your one experience? That's not very clever. You must be dumb. I guess I should judge you just as harshly and as loosely as you are judging this person?

But I won't and I don't think you are dumb. I think you are limiting your argument on your one experience though which weakens your point.

No one has said that it is the new adopted owners fault. Why does there have to be fault. Where the problem lies is in the fact that the woman won't return the dog or it's rightful owner.

Yep, and I am sure that this will stop people from adopting dogs.....t will stop as many dogs from being adopted as it will people going on holidays and entrusting their dogs into someone else care.

Edited by ~Anne~

I feel really sad for the poor dog. So what the new owners think they have bonded with her so much they can't return her. What about the dog? I bet I know who Mia would pick and it wouldn't the be the nice kind hearted strangers that have been caring for her for 9 days. It would be her loving owner of 7 years. So if the new owners were actually that nice why would they not put the dog first? I would.

The loving owner that left her with someone who couldn't even be bothered to tell her the dog was missing? How do you know the dog doesn't have a better quality of life with the new owners? Mia hadn't been off the property for 7 years.

How can you hold the owner responsible for someone else's actions? It defies logic. She hasn't any control over the other person unless he was a remote conrolled robot and she held the remote!!

Only she knows how well she knows and trusts the person that she left the dog with - I am assuming not very well. As I have mentioned before, I have been asked by a neighbour I only knew to say hello to to "pop over" and feed her dog for two weeks. She didn't know me or if I would call her if I went over to feed the dog one day and it had escaped the yard. How do you know this wasn't a similar circumstance? We don't know all the facts so it is unfair to say it is a cut and dried case of "give the dog back".

The owner is the responsible for the situation - the dog wasn't chipped and she didn't leave the dog with someone trustworthy. Was someone staying with the dog or just feeding it? The family who went to the RSPCA, chose a new family member and went home to enjoy her is at fault?? The defies logic to me. Talk about a great way to stop people wanting to adopt a dog :(

How do you know it's nothing like your scenario? Personally all this crap about turning people off adopting a dog is just that - crap. If they really cared for the dog they would return it.

So what the dog wasn't chipped, not everyone agrees with them and if it wasn't a requirement of the council where her dog was registered then the owner has broken no laws. So what there was no collar or tags, lots of people don't agree with that either and the usual law is they have to be worn when off the owners property, if the dog is not off the property they don't have to be worn. So what it never got off the property, thousands of dogs don't and most of those thousands are perfectly happy with that situation.

And no it is not the new owners fault but they should man up and do the right thing and return the dog.

Lets hope your dog never get lost and then adopted out. Collars and chips are not fail safe means of ID.

So you judge everyone by your one experience? That's not very clever. You must be dumb. I guess I should judge you just as harshly and as loosely as you are judging this person?

But I won't and I don't think you are dumb. I think you are limiting your argument on your one experience though which weakens your point.

No one has said that it is the new adopted owners fault. Why does there have to be fault. Where the problem lies is in the fact that the woman won't return the dog or it's rightful owner.

Yep, and I am sure that this will stop people from adopting dogs.....t will stop as many dogs from being adopted as it will people going on holidays and entrusting their dogs into someone else care.

You are free to have an opinion of me if you wish, that's the beauty of living in a democracy - free speech. And I don't know you so I don't really care if you think I am dumb :) My point was not to use my limited experience in life to judge - it was to make the point that many people do place trust in people that they don't really know to care for their animals, often because it is the cheaper option. And if you don't think this is commonplace (not on dogzonline but in the wider community) then I disagree with you. I am not judging either side - it is a sad situation for all and I would be devastated if it was me.

I didn't vote because I don't know what I would do - there was a lot missing from this story. It is human nature to cry poor me when people feel they have been wronged - I just wish people would take more responsibility for their choices.

It is human nature to cry poor me when people feel they have been wronged - I just wish people would take more responsibility for their choices.

You have judged the owner and found her guilty, it is written in all your posts how it is her fault. Do you not think she is kicking herself right now. How do you know that the person she has trusted has done this job for her several times in the past, with no problems? How about the trusted person got ill and they trusted someone else? How about the owner was a twit and trusted someone she shouldn't and now because of misplaced trust she deserves to lose her dog?

What would the dog choose????

No-one anywhere has said that they're at fault, rather that they're not necessarily acting in the best interest of the dog, or thinking about what the dog would prefer.

It was implied that the new owners should give the dog back - and without knowing what both homes who would know what the dog would prefer?? Maybe it is in the best interest of the dog to stay in the new home. That's the problem - we don't really know.

perhaps the lesson here is if you're going on a holiday, don't trust family, friends or neighbours to look after your dog. Pay up and put them in a kennel. Money well worth spent for peace of mind.

Things sure can go pear-shaped in the best 'baby-sitting' arrangement. I was driving in our Brisbane suburb & saw a largish, Bully-type dog heading towards the busiest road right on peak hour. Was relieved to see an ID tag on his collar.

I stopped ... he was friendly but still determined to go on his travels. Managed to hold him while I dialled the mobile phone no on his ID.

Man answered, I told him I had his lost dog. He said he was in Melbourne, attending a meeting & his dog had been left at his mother's home.

He phoned his mother.... she'd been visiting a friend nearby, but said she'd hurry home. I walked the dog a block ( he was too big & enthusiastically wriggly to secure in my little car). But he happily came with me.... because he wanted to keep trotting along.

There was the mother waiting. She showed me, she found a side gate (the dog was kept behind that) & the front gate ajar. Someone had been in the yard. She'd ask her son to put put a lock on the side gate when he returned.

I'm glad the man had put his phone no on his dog. I don't know what I've had done if I'd been stuck there with a dog that I couldn't secure in my car (because he was enjoying his freedom, not because he was mean!). It would have meant a phone call to the pound... & a long wait with a strong dog that wanted to keep on going! And I had responsibilities waiting at home.

Edited by mita

It is human nature to cry poor me when people feel they have been wronged - I just wish people would take more responsibility for their choices.

You have judged the owner and found her guilty, it is written in all your posts how it is her fault. Do you not think she is kicking herself right now. How do you know that the person she has trusted has done this job for her several times in the past, with no problems? How about the trusted person got ill and they trusted someone else? How about the owner was a twit and trusted someone she shouldn't and now because of misplaced trust she deserves to lose her dog?

What would the dog choose????

I don't know - I'm not the dog. And as for all your other questions, I don't know either. But that's the point, we don't know. I don't find her "guilty", I feel devastated for her - as I would be. But I also feel you have judged the new owners and it is written in your posts that you think they should give the dog back. All I tried to say is that for me - it would depend on knowing the rest of the story and the quality of the dogs home before I gave her back. And if I found out there were circumstances beyond her control and the dog was very-muched loved I would give her back in a heartbeat. But if I felt I could offer the dog a much better home I would struggle to give her back. In hindsight I probably should have just voted :)

[that's the point, we don't know. I don't find her "guilty", I feel devastated for her - as I would be. But I also feel you have judged the new owners and it is written in your posts that you think they should give the dog back. All I tried to say is that for me - it would depend on knowing the rest of the story and the quality of the dogs home before I gave her back. And if I found out there were circumstances beyond her control and the dog was very-muched loved I would give her back in a heartbeat. But if I felt I could offer the dog a much better home I would struggle to give her back. In hindsight I probably should have just voted :)

That's a fair enough perspective. You've just said the devil would be in the details, for you. I actually didn't vote, either. Because I said, just given what appears in the article, I'd be leaning strongly towards returning the dog. But I also acknowledged I didn't have details.

And I'd still like to see gratitude, by the original owner for the fact that a bunch of people.... acting in good faith & with no apparent doggie ID .... kept that 7 yr old dog safe from a nasty fate lost on the roads, & got her to safety. Ranger, RSPCA staff & adopting family. Frankly, that would be my very first response.... if I was the owner of the dog. Before we got up to.... return or not. But, then, again, we don't have details. . So I can't judge her.

I had tremendous gratitude to the people who saved my tibbie girls when they were let out. Guess who got the biggest box of chocolates.

if this was my dog I would move heaven and hell to get her back. No if, buts or maybe's. The rightful owner has turned up, it was not their fault the dog was in the pound system long enough to be put up for adoption, it is not the pounds fault nor the new owners. But that dog is mine and I would be getting her back no matter how nasty it got.

Years ago I did ask the question about what would happen if a dog was adopted out and then the owners turned up. The answer was the dog would have to go back and we were instructed to tell all new adopters if the original owner turned up within a certain time frame ( which I forget ) then they would have to hand the dog back. In fact it was on the paperwork they signed that they would give the dog back.

Did Mia live in an apartment? Or perhaps she lived on acerage? We don't know, but I think it's fairly safe to say a Kelpie x would not live in apartment style housing.

Also with using vet bills as proof of owership, those who use a regular vet can use their vet to ID the dog.

if this was my dog I would move heaven and hell to get her back. No if, buts or maybe's. The rightful owner has turned up, it was not their fault the dog was in the pound system long enough to be put up for adoption, it is not the pounds fault nor the new owners. But that dog is mine and I would be getting her back no matter how nasty it got.

Yes... & that's a fair enough perspective as well. It's how the world works... people make decisions on how things appear to them.

Someone else saying .... they'd lean strongly towards returning, but keep a proviso of case by case details... is not invalidating your position that you would fight for your dog's return no matter what. So would most people, I'd expect.

As others have said ... the bottom line is legal possession versus original ownership which predates that. Then there's the overlay of what's just plain fair, rather than the letter of the law. My leaning towards returning the dog, was based on what appears to be a 7 yr incident free original ownership. It'd take some huge missing detail to change my decision on that.

It's not about 'fault'.... it's what's been done, by a whole bunch of people to take care of that dog. And that started with a 7 yr long period of care by the owner. Of course, someone in that position would go 'all out' for return.

Edited by mita

Years ago I did ask the question about what would happen if a dog was adopted out and then the owners turned up. The answer was the dog would have to go back and we were instructed to tell all new adopters if the original owner turned up within a certain time frame ( which I forget ) then they would have to hand the dog back. In fact it was on the paperwork they signed that they would give the dog back.

I have dug out my adoption papers from the RSPCA - It is very old 1997 :o It has a clause "I undertake to give up the animal to the lawful owner, should such owner be discovered"

We must have members here who have much updated paperwork??????

I would give the dog back. It is a very hard lesson not microchipping the dog, but they had it for 7 years.. its their family. As said by others, raises questions why the pet-sitter didnt say anything or if they did, why didnt anyone ring around at the pounds as I am sure they would have if they knew their dog was missing.

If I were the new owner, I would give the dog back (on the condition the old owners paid me the adoption fees I incurred) as the dog already has a good home, then adopt a different dog from the pound who is in need of a forever home.

I don't think it is ever ok to keep a dog that belongs to someone else especially of the dog escaped while being cared for when the owners were away. Yes the dog should have been microchipped but what if it had been and the chip fell out? Also why did the council register the dog without a microchip number? There is no way to compare 9 days to 7 years of ownership. In this case the RSPCA should retrieve the dog and return it to the original owner.

Yes, but the RSPCA as usual are hiding behind legislation to avoid having to potentially pay compensation to either owner. Bet they're kicking themselves that they didn't euthanase, would have saved them a world of hassle. :mad

Why would the RSPCA have to pay compensation to either owner? They didn't do anything wrong, and they did try to retrieve the dog and return it to the original owner but legally the dog does belong to the new owners so they can't just take it back.

I don't think it is ever ok to keep a dog that belongs to someone else especially of the dog escaped while being cared for when the owners were away. Yes the dog should have been microchipped but what if it had been and the chip fell out? Also why did the council register the dog without a microchip number? There is no way to compare 9 days to 7 years of ownership. In this case the RSPCA should retrieve the dog and return it to the original owner.

Yes, but the RSPCA as usual are hiding behind legislation to avoid having to potentially pay compensation to either owner. Bet they're kicking themselves that they didn't euthanase, would have saved them a world of hassle. :mad

Why would the RSPCA have to pay compensation to either owner? They didn't do anything wrong, and they did try to retrieve the dog and return it to the original owner but legally the dog does belong to the new owners so they can't just take it back.

Going by my very old paperwork it states the RSPCA will refund the new adopter.

Compassion? I always ask myself how I would feel if it happened to me.

I can't imagine that anyone here would give up their beloved dog of 7 years, without a fight, regardless of the legalities.

If this was about abuse or neglect (by the owner, not an irresponsible house sitter), of course, it would be completely different.

But as it is, I wonder how the new owners can live with themselves, after hearing the story.

This is clearly a moral issue, not a legal one.

I wish they would let the dog decide.

How can you hold the owner responsible for someone else's actions? It defies logic. She hasn't any control over the other person unless he was a remote conrolled robot and she held the remote!!

Exactly?!?!

I voted No - but depending on circumstances, I could probably swing to a Yes...

In this case, I would probably give the dog back to the original owner. They didn't even appear to know the dog was missing until they got back from holidays, and are quite distraught at the turn of events that occurred while they were away. The dog was obviously worth the save by the RSPCA (the home of the dreaded "temperament test") - many other dogs would have been long dead in the timeframes we are talking about here...

I know that I'd be completely feral about getting my own dog back under these circumstances... but I also know as someone who has regularly been trusted to care for friends' pets while they are away, I'd have been frantically searching every pound, shelter, vet, clinic, street, alley, lane, park, bush, etc, to find a dog that went missing under my watch... just sayin'...

Someone does need a sharp kick to the backside for this... and I'd be looking squarely at the "carer"...

T.