Would You Give An Adopted Dog Back?

Staffyluv

Return or not  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give an adopted dog back to the original owner after you adopted it?

My 14 year old girl was chipped at 5 weeks of age. Her chip is in the right spot still, and still working, but takes an age to register with all the scanners we've used to find it... it took me a full 5 minutes to find it the last time, and I know exactly where it is... errr! A pound would have no chance with one of their cursory quick swipes in the general area scans...

We had a dog in rescue whose chip was found in the right rear flank... not many pounds would have found that one. Luckily the pound that had him knew to scan all over the dog - but even after they'd found it, it hadn't been registered by the pet shop that sold him some 2 years previously. (there are ways of tracking batches of chips... *grin*)

Chips are useless if the person implanting them doesn't send in the paperwork - or the person tasked with entering same into the database(s) can't be arsed... and unfortunately this sort of thing happens a LOT!

T.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chips are also useless if the paperwork never made it into the system. Temp has a chip but for whatever reason I found out today she is not registered. You think they could've contacted me or Ams when they got the bleeding change of ownership form and my money back in January! Given she hates leaving the front verandah and certainly wouldn't go anywhere with a 'stranger' the likelihood of her going missing is low to zilch. She'd be pounding on the front door to be let back in.

It would depend. if the dog looked well cared for and was a well socialized, normal dog I think after a week I would rerun it. I'd feel sorry for someone who lost their dog after 7 years.

If the dog appeared to have been less than well cared for I'd keep it.

There's so many digs needing rescue if this one has a decent home then I'd rather rescue another.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I just rang up and confirmed that all my Pug's details are correct and up to date (they are).

Thank you for this thread, Staffyluv, it has been really interesting :)

I know this thread has made me decide that the next time i'm at the vets i'll get her chip scanned. She was chipped over 10 a half years ago and hasn't been scanned since.

+1

Same with me, my boy's has been in for 7 years and not had it tested to see where it is or if it picks up.

lilipily and Noishe, :thumbsup:

But PLEASE also go here:

http://petaddress.com.au/

to make sure that the chip is actually registered.

My boy's microchip showed up nicely when scanned at the vets, but there was no info in any database!

And neither my vet nor I would ever have known, if it wasn't for that link.

Little Gifts, I am SO glad that you caught yours. Hopefully, you can sort it out quickly. Good luck!

To get back on-topic: I'm happy to see more people putting themselves into the shoes of the original owner.

I have never received anything from NPR regarding the microchip in any of mine or my sister's dogs. And while I get the microchip number from my vet (or the rescue group) when the chipping is done, the issue for me is that if the registration hasn't gone through properly there is nothing to match the dog to me. In this instance NPR isn't even recognising that number so it wouldn't even lead Temp back to Ams or the vet who the chip number was allocated to. Not sure how the hell that could happen in this age of technology - surely that number is 'allocated' at least?

We don't get any confirmation letters from council (Logan City and Gold Coast City) either - just the annual registration invoice which includes the microchip number (because I gave it to them!). But my dogs don't wear collars/council tags at home so if one escaped the yard or the verandah before they were harnessed (which Stussy has done) then I would be stuffed without those chips.

I would be devastated if I lost Temp knowing she wasn't protected by her chip.

Do your councils not send out a confirmation letter? We received a companion animal register print screen showing all the details as entered in the system, sent out by our council when we registered them and again when we changed address.

I only have experience with WA, where microchip registration and council registration are two completely different things.

I think that most other states are like WA, but according to melzawelza (thanks melzawelza!) NSW is a little different. See bottom of page 10! :)

lilipily and Noishe, :thumbsup:

But PLEASE also go here:

http://petaddress.com.au/

to make sure that the chip is actually registered.

My boy's microchip showed up nicely when scanned at the vets, but there was no info in any database!

And neither my vet nor I would ever have known, if it wasn't for that link.

Little Gifts, I am SO glad that you caught yours. Hopefully, you can sort it out quickly. Good luck!

To get back on-topic: I'm happy to see more people putting themselves into the shoes of the original owner.

Had checked that site a few years ago and comes up with the AAR registration for Scout :D

ETA when you posted it the other day I rechecked and still comes up in their window

Take it this is what you mean by registered...

post-10065-0-06148700-1383736622_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noishe

Guest Maeby Fünke

I still don't know what to do about the problem with the collar...

A quick release collar could come loose and there goes your ID tags. And a standard collar could get caught on something and strangle them. I have ordered both types because I'm not sure which is the best option.

A quick release collar could come loose and there goes your ID tags. And a standard collar could get caught on something and strangle them. I have ordered both types because I'm not sure which is the best option.

And there in lies the quandry of many of us............

Guest Maeby Fünke

And there in lies the quandry of many of us............

I guess all we can do is make sure our dogs' microchip details are all correct and up to date.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Had checked that site a few years ago and comes up with the AAR registration for Scout :D

ETA when you posted it the other day I rechecked and still comes up in their window

Take it this is what you mean by registered...

post-10065-0-06148700-1383736622_thumb.jpg

Yep, it's registered! :D

Now, if a scanner can find it on Scout, and the number is readable, everything will be absolutely perfect! :)

ETA

Oh, and your contact info is up-to-date. :provoke:

Edited by GbDb