Man Eats His Own Dog

Redsonic

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the big deal, he ate his dog ? Just because as a dog owner you can't imagine doing it, doesn't mean you wouldn't either.

The big deal is he went out unprepared, got himself into a situation that could have been avoided if he had half a brain and because of that a dog lost it's life. After saving the fool, might I add.

I love my dogs, I would no sooner kill one of them to feed myself then I would another person.

Wow people are being pretty harsh. I'm sure this guy didn't take his dog as a walking lunchbox. He got stuck for 3 months! He made the terrible and harrowing decision to eat his dog. Starvation changes our outlook and I'm glad you guys are all so perfect that you'd never ever make a mistake. It's easy to sit at your computer in your nice comfortable houses and say you'd never do something.

Pretty big call to say he was unprepared.

If he'd been on horseback or camel and run into trouble, would people still be so up in arms if he decided to eat one of those ?

The only reason some are upset is because he's eaten a dog.

If he had loved the animal and had it as a pet and it had saved his life it would be just as upsetting to me. He killed his dog a "few days" after the bear took his food - didn't seem like he tried too hard for alternatives, although then he managed to survive for another three months so obviously he did find other ways. Of course no one can really predict what they would do until they are in the situation but I honestly don't think I could bash my dog over the head with a rock and then eat him. Especially after he had just saved my life. No doubt the dog was hungry too but he didn't turn on his master.

As for being unprepared - he was warned that river was way too dangerous for someone on their own and that plenty of other people had disappeared - so he did knowingly put himself and his dog in danger.

RIP doggy.

I wouldn't eat a family member that's for sure! If that differs from your opinion thats all good, but I just couldn't do it, no matter what and I'm not going to apologise for it. Even if I survived by eating them I would be racked with guilt for the rest of my life.

Who says he's not feeling terrible? Who says he doesn't feel quilty every day? He killed his dog and ate it to survive (the only way he could think of at the time) and you wouldn't eat an entire german shepherd over 1 day, he probably kept the meat for a long time and he did lose a HEAP of weight so obviously didn't find much else to eat. His dog kept him alive twice.

I wouldn't eat a family member that's for sure! If that differs from your opinion thats all good, but I just couldn't do it, no matter what and I'm not going to apologise for it. Even if I survived by eating them I would be racked with guilt for the rest of my life.

Who says he's not feeling terrible? Who says he doesn't feel quilty every day? He killed his dog and ate it to survive (the only way he could think of at the time) and you wouldn't eat an entire german shepherd over 1 day, he probably kept the meat for a long time and he did lose a HEAP of weight so obviously didn't find much else to eat. His dog kept him alive twice.

No one said he is not feeling terrible or racked with guilt. In fact one commenter who appeared to know him said he will always regret not taking a sat phone with him. People are saying that they do not believe they would do the same thing under the same circumstance - although I doubt many people would put themselves in that position in the first place. He made bad choices and will have to live with the consequences.

Wow people are being pretty harsh. I'm sure this guy didn't take his dog as a walking lunchbox. He got stuck for 3 months! He made the terrible and harrowing decision to eat his dog. Starvation changes our outlook and I'm glad you guys are all so perfect that you'd never ever make a mistake. It's easy to sit at your computer in your nice comfortable houses and say you'd never do something.

Well, I'd never go out in the wilderness on my own, unprepared..,

No one said he is not feeling terrible or racked with guilt. In fact one commenter who appeared to know him said he will always regret not taking a sat phone with him. People are saying that they do not believe they would do the same thing under the same circumstance - although I doubt many people would put themselves in that position in the first place. He made bad choices and will have to live with the consequences.

He made the only choice he thought he had. Starvation is something else and I only hope you and others never get to feel the utter despair that starvation can lead to, not to mention the complete feeling of isolation on top of that. he would have been a psychological mess. I'm not saying I wouldn't eat my dog because when in a situation like that (possible badly made choices aside) who knows what I would do.

I agree with you mixeduppup - no one truly knows what they would do. That is why we are speculating - it is doubtful that many people in a first world country would ever experience that type of hunger. They have allowed the refugees in Syria to start eating the camp dogs as they are in a similar predicament due to the atrocities of war. But many people on here love their dogs equally as family members and cannot contemplate doing what he did. I don't believe I could do it and hope I am never in the situation to find out.

Yes, people have eaten each other as well.

Right now, I can say no way would I do it, the thought makes me sick. But I have never been lost and dying of starvation.

Bears are a genuine risk over there. But just like Australia and it's wilderness, you can have all the signage and warnings and survival gear available but people do make stupid decisions or have freak accidents and end up dead.

What's the big deal, he ate his dog ? Just because as a dog owner you can't imagine doing it, doesn't mean you wouldn't either.

The big deal for me is that if he was prepared or knew anything about his environment he would've been able to source his own food to survive regardless of what the bear did to his canoe and supplies. Did the bear eat his knives? He killed his dog by smashing its head with a rock. With a knife he could've fashioned a spear to get fish or animals down holes. I'd live on beetles and bark before I resorted to killing my only companion for warmth and sanity. And I sure as hell would've given it a cleaner death with my knife if I had to end it's suffering.

I don't have any sympathy for him because locals told him what a difficult place it was and it was clear he went in there only prepared for everything to go well. Mother Nature isn't like that. His dog paid the price and he nearly followed. Lots of other people's lives were subsequently put at risk saving his stupid arse.

Just edited to remind people the bear incident happened very early in his trip and so did eating his dog. He survived quite a number of weeks out there after these things happened and before he was found near death, only after his family sounded the alarm after his initial three months was up.

Edited by Little Gifts

Pretty big call to say he was unprepared.

If he'd been on horseback or camel and run into trouble, would people still be so up in arms if he decided to eat one of those ?

The only reason some are upset is because he's eaten a dog.

I spent two years living in a tent, camping around Australia with my then boyf, sourcing our own food and water most nights. We fished with our limited resources and climbed coconut trees. We camped near water wherever possible (which also meant buffalo and crocs in the territory). I can start a fire without matches, lighter or flint. I know how to heat rocks to keep me warm and get water from a hole in the ground or leaves and cook on the most basic of structures. Survival and safety is your top priority. To me he was unprepared for an emergency or a disaster if all it took was one lousy bear to put him at that kind of risk. How did every knife, gun, bow, arrow, fish hook, rope, etc get damaged beyond use? You can do an awful lot with just one knife. You never keep all your valuables together for a start and you always have a mini emergency kit on your own body at all times. As for keeping his food safe and out of bear grasp, that's a whole other issue.

I don't care if he ate the last platypus on earth - in my eyes he wasn't prepared and his dog paid the price for that very early on in his trip and he seems like the kind of tool who will do something similar again.

The world needs adventurers, but not idiots.

Call me cynical but I am wondering if there is a book in this story?

Saw the headline today that this man "wants another dog" .... personally I don't think he deserves one.

he made the choice NOT to take a satellite phone with him - why on earth would you not do that, particularly if you'd planned on staying a long time?

Sorry everybody who thinks what this guy did was just dandy but even I know you are supposed to hoist your gear up into tree that won't support a bear's weight in bear territory. Surely there would have been a way to protect his bot, too and he obviously had no gun or even a knife or he would not have needed to kill his dog with a rock. The guy is a twat.

Who goes into the wilderness with no way to signal for help? What, in three months he didn't even manage to light a signal fire?

And as others have said, he ate the dog very early on, a few days after the bear attack... Does not sound like he tried very hard before he decided to dine on Fido....

I would not trust that guy with a goldfish, not to mention another dog....

Edited by BlackJaq