Dog Breeds Where You Live

animals

Ive never owned a pure bred .Not that I haven"t wanted to deciding which one was too hard finding where to go 20 years back wasn"t as easy to find as now. I say 20 years back because thats when we started looking since then others have come into our lives .

Every now and then we go to the dog beach there seems to be more pure breds there than I see simply walking (with owners) in the street. Lately Ive seen a large number of poodles.

Do you find dog breeds come and go with the times? I recall in the 80"s seeing more Rotties .Now I see more x breeds in the street more pure breds at off leash areas .

Im sure lifestyle has alot to do with it also so I was wondering what breeds are seen more often in certain areas ? Have you ever thought about it or taken notice of the dog breeds around you ?

Im minding a schnauzer at the moment a dog breed Ive always liked but never really see around my area

All the dogs in my street are large breed mixes, GSDx's, Labx's etc.

All the dogs i groom are fluffy mixed breeds, shih tzu x, or the oodles :)

The only purebred ones i see are at the dog park and they are labs, staffies and goldens mainly :)

Not a huge variety here!

there is only 50 more standard poodles registered with the ANKC Australia wide now than there was 20 years ago

Minis 700 less and Toys the same give or take 10 so if you are seeing more poodles its not because more are being bred by registered breeders.

We have a wide mixture of different type dogs around, seems to be mostly the X's and kelpies that are always wandering around without their owners. However a Pommerian was found yesterday.

The Cavaliers ive come across (and theres a few) have mostly been from BYB's (if ive been talking to the owners and found out) I've come across quite a few Cavalier X's

People around here seem to like owning Amstaff /Mastiff X's , the bigger the better !

Being semi rural here quite a few people own kelpies.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I see a lot of Shnauzers, Goldie's, Labs and Border Collies. We also have a small pocket of pugs, little fluffy types and a few poodles. In fact I've also seen a lot of Staffies now that I think about it.

We do have cross breeds as well but overall, from my observations, we have a good number of what appears to be purebred dogs.

We see a lot of labs, staffords, German shepherds, jack russels, fox terriers, paps and border collies around here, pure bred wise (though most are not from registered breders) and lots of big mixes, your staffie x, lab x etc, with plenty of mini foxies and small fluffies mixed in. There are also a decent amount of heading dogs and huntaways living as pets here. It's a fairly small town that's very close to being rural. I think the only reason we see lots of German Shepherds is because we have several breeders living here, and they also outnumber any other breed that comes to ribbon parades 4 to 1, because everywhere else in the country I've lived I rarely see the breed around.

Breeds absolutely seem to come and go with the times, particularly with show folk it seems. My mother and father bred and showed GSD's before I was born, so about 22 years ago and she said there used to easily be 15-20 Old English Sheepdogs at a show every time, now you'd be lucky to see one. Since I've been showing I've noticed a huge boom in French Bulldogs, from 3-6 to 20 -30 plus at big shows and that's only in the last 5 years. Frenchies seem to be a much more popular pet choice now too, particularly in cities. Haven't seen them so much in my town yet but there are a few around. I've noticed far fewer boxers and golden retrievers around as pets than I used to as a child too.

Here I see a lot of cross breeds, mainly medium sized staffy mix looking dogs, and working dog mixes. I always get excited when I see a different breeds, especially the pedigree ones, like the bernese mountain dog that came into my work, the japanese akita and the airdale. Don't get me wrong, I also adore cross-breeds, I have my own little pound mutt who I think is the most beautiful girl in the world :D

I agree kiwifeathers, frenchies have had a huge rise in numbers it seems.

Semi rural here, next door have a Maremma, working line Kelpie and 2 Maltese x Pom. Other neighbour has a mini Poodle. Neighbour up a bit more has a Maltese x. There's a Dalmatian way down the road [see him at the fence line] and then the others I see around are Cattle Dogs, Kelpies and mixes there of. I know there's a Siberian Husky around as he got out once and ended up here.

I live inbetween 2 area's,it depends which area I go, if I go Baulkham Hills way to walk my dogs I see a lot of Labs, BC's and Cavs.

If I go Blacktown way its bullbreeds.

I am in the middle and we get a lot of oodles,and labs, although there is a stunning Tibetan Mastiff in my street. :)

In my area Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill we have lots of small, pet shop style crossbreeds and oodles, and the odd purebred which is popular with bybs, ie pugs, cavs, beagles, staffies, goldies, coloured border collies and chocolate labs. However at our local obedience there is a more even mix with more purebreds, large and medium sized dogs and rescue dogs.

Lots of 'Darwin Specials' up here, usually dark brindle bull/working breed mixes or Pitt/Shar Pei types are also popular. Plenty claim to have 'mastiff' crosses but I haven't seen any pure looking mastiffs up here at all that could be used to create all these crosses.

BYB is very popular up here and I am still amazed at how much they charge for their pups. There is currently someone selling a litter of Beagles (no papers of course) for $850 and a Dobermann litter (again, no papers) for $1000. Small fluffy crosses go for $450 usually without any vaccinations or worming :(

In my general area there is a Dobe, a couple of Pointers, Husky and a Pom, Beagles and a couple of Cavs most of the rest are crosses, large and small.

We live in a suburb besides a huge reserve/A & P showgrounds. We actually purchased our house to have the reserve to walk in. One thing I have noticed in my neighbourhood is that is not uncommon for people to have 2 or 3 dogs probably due to the terrific area to walk in. Goldies, labs, bichons and GSD seem popular. I get asked a lot what breed Scout, our Brittany, is. We have all different breeds and sizes of dogs but I have noticed a rising trend in French Bulldogs the past couple of years. Once lately, I got just inside the reserve and let my dogs off lead and a lady with a Frenchie came up to me and said "oh it must be soooo nice to have dogs you can let off lead", I said "why, does yours not have a good recall?" and she said "oh no he's FAR too valuable a dog to let off lead, we paid $3500 for him!". Took my apparently cheap and easily replaceable mutts away before I said something rude :laugh:

Lots of staffies, stiffys and stuffys (amazing what people say their dogs are). In other words lots of generic brindle x breeds. Lots of little tan and white terrier type mixes as well.

I did see a DDB, mastiff & Greyhounds out and about on Sunday.

Cant say 20 years ago as I never saw many dogs around in Australia but going back 30 years to England where I grew up many people had pure breed dogs & country folk usually had the border collies, they were always what were used at the sheep dog trials I went to.

In the city lots of boxers, german shepherds, labradors, pekinese, poodles, retrievers, red setters & various spaniels, basset hounds, corgis & yorkshire terriers are the ones I recall seeing most.

All working breed or large cross breeds here in my rural area.

I live in a tiny village but there are a lot of dogs. Next to us lives an ACD and a Cavalier X, across from them is a Golden Retriever. No dog in the house next to the Goldie but a stumpy tailed ACD next to the Goldie. The next house has JRTS and working kelpie or b/c mixes. Next has a larged mixed breed, next a poodle. My other neighbour has a Border Collie, next to her are 6 Border Collies & a Sheltie. Across from them a JRT and an ACD/JRT mix. Others that I know of in town are a Staghound/whippet mix, a boxer, a number of unknown mixed breeds, a greyhound x, a few more JRTs, another poodle and some more working breeds (yes I know people in town by their dogs :laugh: ).

The only ones I know of that are pedigree are the Border Collies and my dogs. The rest are all either deliberate or accidental BYB.