Dog Tennis Balls?

Steph M

There is a tennis club right next to a park we frequent so Elsie always has tennis balls at the park, she trots off to the bushes and brings them out. Last night she had 8 of them, I thought it was a bit over the top so I threw them back over the fence (much to her disgust).

Our park has a tennis court too and they leave the gate open and frequently end up with an overexcited retriever trying to shove as many balls in his mouth as he can whilst still saying hi to everyone playing and pretending to not hear me. It's quite a sight!

Still, one will play tennis in a dog park with the gate open...we've only had rapturous laughter as the response yet.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I resist throwing balls for my ball mad boy as I don't want him running too much.

I never knew there was a difference in the tennis balls though. We love the chuckit ones that I got half price one day!

Anything that squeaks is a favourite. I'm on the hunt for a new tug that also squeaks. Any ideas?

I resist throwing balls for my ball mad boy as I don't want him running too much.

I never knew there was a difference in the tennis balls though. We love the chuckit ones that I got half price one day!

Anything that squeaks is a favourite. I'm on the hunt for a new tug that also squeaks. Any ideas?

you want squeak? Try some of these

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=131

I am wasting my money buying normal tennis balls for Zig.

We use the Kong, squeaky tennis balls - they come in a variety of sizes for different sized dogs and they squeak, even when punctured.

I think they are about $10 for 3 in a packet.

We train with them and take one to the dog park to play fetch..

They are awesome - he never defuzzes them and chews them into pieces, like he did with the few normal tennis balls we had here.

Do find with the kong tennis balls, the plastic squeakers pop out easily after a few retrieves and chews [might've been a few bad batches though...I buy the 3 pack ones]. So happily squeaking to silent air huffing noises lol. Wondering now about the JW isqueak balls or similar, or if he'd just kill them as easily.

Edited by Noishe

I have a few of the orange Chuckit ultraballs here - those and the Cuz range are the only toys that my Lab and Camp Dog haven't killed yet - the Chuckit balls are nearly 8 years old now and still going strong. Been through all of my dogs and hundreds of foster pups too...

The Chuckit balls are worth plenty times more than the fairly high asking price IMHO... if you buy them, you won't be sorry.

T.

Guest Maeby Fünke

My Pug can't fit his mouth over a tennis ball. He has those small i-squeaks.

We use the JW balls that have feet so the Pugs can carry them by the feet :laugh:

That's a good idea!

The only problem I have with buying more expensive balls is that due to my shoddy aim, they always end up on the roof.

Much to the disgust of my inlaws dog..

Scout has the habit of swinging his kong on a rope and letting it go so it shoots up on the roof. Have to use a mirror attached to the extendable tree branch lopper - locate it in the gutter and carefully grab the rope with the lopper to bring it out without cutting the rope :rofl:

I buy the kong brand ones that say are not abrasive for their teeth which is very important for a dog that lives with it in her mouth.

That's what we get, plus the squeak and come in smaller sizes. Hansel has hidden supplies of them now and brings one out when he wants to play :laugh:

Do find with the kong tennis balls, the plastic squeakers pop out easily after a few retrieves and chews [might've been a few bad batches though...I buy the 3 pack ones]. So happily squeaking to silent air huffing noises lol. Wondering now about the JW isqueak balls or similar, or if he'd just kill them as easily.

Yeah they do come out easily - Zig takes the squeaker out of his after a while anyway..

The one I use in training has no squeaker in it either - he is just as attentive with one that makes the air noise :)

Funny thing is he makes not attempt to chew them into tiny pieces or defuzz them - like he has done with every normal tennis ball he has ever had.

Hahahaha glad it's not just my long suffering mower...

Gus's best fetchy friend is a Tyre Biter retriever.

Although more than 2 people have pointed out to me it looks like a sex toy so it hides in my bag when it isn't in his gob.

Admittedly it does....

http://www.prestigep...s/94-31040F.jpg

:offtopic: There are a surprising number of dog toys out there that look a bit 'suspicious', or maybe I Just have a dirty mind :laugh:

Steph & Huski ~snorts~ pmsl :laugh:

You guys should subscribe to dog snobs. They have a blog post occasionally where you have to choose which is the dog toy...and which...isn't. :laugh:

Dog snobs is hilarious. I just read the entire blog this afternoon. People at work now think I'm completely bonkers after sending them the sex toy or dog toy pictures

Kong make a tiny tennis ball - the toy poodle that Zig plays with at the park has one. You buy them in a 3 pack and they are bit bigger than a ping pong ball..

They come in 3 different sizes - normal tennis ball size, big (about the size of a softball or a little bigger) and tiny (the ones I mentioned above)..

They are softer and have a squeaker in them. I get mine from Petstock.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Kong make a tiny tennis ball - the toy poodle that Zig plays with at the park has one. You buy them in a 3 pack and they are bit bigger than a ping pong ball..

They come in 3 different sizes - normal tennis ball size, big (about the size of a softball or a little bigger) and tiny (the ones I mentioned above)..

They are softer and have a squeaker in them. I get mine from Petstock.

Okay, thanks. He loves tiny toys and likes to walk around with them in his mouth. Sometimes I buy him cat toys.