Importation Dogs And Cats Into Australia

wayrod

Good news everyone!

Just had to share as soon as I received official notification (below).

At this stage it appears that 10 day Quarantine will only exist at Eastern Creek and Spotswood Quarantine Stations.

A dog that is not sharing quarantine accommodation and eligible for the minimum Australian quarantine period of 10 days will cost approximately AUD$525.

Regards

Wayrod

Dear Transport Agents

I am writing to inform you that the Department of Agriculture is changing the import requirements for dogs and cats, and their semen (excluding animals from New Zealand, from which there is no change at the present time).

You can access key information about the new requirements via the department’s website.

The new import requirements are only available to importers whose animal(s) will be imported to Australia on or after 3 February 2014. These importers may only apply for import permits from 2 December 2013.

The key change to import requirements is a decrease in the minimum number of days in post-entry quarantine, from 30 to 10. However, prospective importers should note that the new requirements also include changes to pre-export preparations, to enable the reduction to 10 days quarantine, which must be followed.

The Department of Agriculture has given current permit holders the following options:

Option 1. Confirm that you will import your animal under the old conditions using your existing import permit(s), noting that:

1. Your existing permit(s) will remain valid for use until the expiry date (indicated on the permit)

2. You must prepare your animal(s) in accordance with the import conditions on your existing permit(s)

3. Your animal(s) will spend a minimum of 30 days in post-entry quarantine.

Option 2. Request that your existing permit(s) be varied to include the new conditions, noting that:

4. A permit variation will cost a minimum of $390 for the first animal and $230 for subsequent animals

5. Additional pre-export preparation of your animal(s) will be required

6. Your application for a permit variation cannot be submitted until 2 December 2013.

7. Your permit will not be valid for use until 3 February 2014.

Please note:

If importers are seeking to bring a cat or dog into Australia before 3 February 2014, they must use the old import conditions.

To ensure we can assist all clients as efficiently as possible, our preferred contact method for advising us of your choice is via the following email address: [email protected].

I look forward to working with you all as we implement the new import requirements.

Yours sincerely

Tamira

Tamira Ford

Director | Animal Division | Animal Import Operations

The fee structure at this stage will be:

Approximate quarantine costs for dogs

A dog that is not sharing quarantine accommodation and eligible for the minimum Australian quarantine period of 10 days will cost approximately AUD$525.

Note: This is an approximate cost only. The total cost will be confirmed by the quarantine facility after your dog's arrival.

Below is an example of how the charges are applied. Further to the fees and charges listed below there may be other costs associated with import clearance, parasite treatment, veterinary care or other services provided for your dog whilst in quarantine. These additional fees will appear on the final invoice.

An International Documentation Fee (IDF) will appear on your final invoice. This fee is charged by the airline and is paid by the department on your behalf. This fee can vary depending on the freight handling company, weight and size of the consignment.

Example of how charges are applied for dog Service Notes Fee AUD$

Quarantine entry (listed as ‘Lodgement-Manual’ on initial invoice) Fee is charged for each animal $15

Document clearance (listed as ‘LAI In Office (1/4hr) Anim/Rep’ on initial invoice) This fee is charged for each animal. If additional information is required to complete document assessment an additional $40 per 15 minutes will be charged. $40

Veterinary examination of animal (listed as ‘LAI In Office (1/4hr) Anim/Rep’ on initial invoice) Fee per 15 minutes. In the majority of cases only half an hour is required. This fee is charged for each animal. (Generally 30 minutes of time applies.) $40 x 2

Accommodation of a dog Daily rate for the first dog $39 x 10 (days)

Any additional veterinary care Additional veterinary care, e.g. booster vaccinations, are provided by a private veterinarian Charged to the owner by private veterinarian

A discount rate applies for two dogs sharing quarantine accommodation. A second dog will cost approximately an additional AUD$465 (provided that the dog is eligible for the minimum Australian quarantine period of 10 days).

Edited by wayrod

Is there a link somewhere on pre exportation procedure?

I would love to take my dog to Germany with me but if she needs to be there for six months for rabies shots and immunity testing then obviously this won't be a viable option lol

Thank You!

Half the links on that stupid website don't even work but I guess government websites are like this on most topics :p

Wayrod, you do dog transport overseas don't you?

so according to this information, I should be able to get the dog rabies vacced and titre tested before even leaving Australia?

And all the paperwork to go with the rabies testing should be able to be completed by the Australian Authorities as well?

The import permit would need to be in hand before leaving the country as well then?

Just wanted to say that having brought 2 dogs and a cat over with us from the UK when we moved, there is no way I would consider going through the paper work, blood tests, the quarantine, and the stress of making sure they were on the various flights ok etc. just for a holiday.

Just wanted to say that having brought 2 dogs and a cat over with us from the UK when we moved, there is no way I would consider going through the paper work, blood tests, the quarantine, and the stress of making sure they were on the various flights ok etc. just for a holiday.

Not to mention the stress of an overseas flight to the dog itself.. They're a huge stress factor for them, I'm already dreading our 3 day journey back O/S some time next year. :/ Never ever would I put my dog through something like that just for my own enjoyment.

So is the UK. Ours didn't need a rabies jab coming over in 2010 but they would now despite the fact the UK is rabies free :confused: Is that why no more puppies from Norway Ptolomy?

UK and Sweden were made category 3 a while ago, while Norway remained a Category 2, but that has now changed. So yep the reason why no more puppies from Norway.

Not to mention the stress of an overseas flight to the dog itself.. They're a huge stress factor for them, I'm already dreading our 3 day journey back O/S some time next year. :/ Never ever would I put my dog through something like that just for my own enjoyment.

Yup, that goes without saying.

UK and Sweden were made category 3 a while ago, while Norway remained a Category 2, but that has now changed. So yep the reason why no more puppies from Norway.

That's a shame :(

Thank You!

Half the links on that stupid website don't even work but I guess government websites are like this on most topics :p

Wayrod, you do dog transport overseas don't you?

so according to this information, I should be able to get the dog rabies vacced and titre tested before even leaving Australia?

And all the paperwork to go with the rabies testing should be able to be completed by the Australian Authorities as well?

The import permit would need to be in hand before leaving the country as well then?

BJ I do International Import and Export as well as Interstate, Domestic and Local.

If you contact me directly via PM with some more details that would be great and hopefully I can answer all your questions.

Ha ha ! glad to see this finally came through but very happy I didn't choose to wait for the 10-day quarantine before moving to Australia with my boy. We arrived at the end of Feb this year, and Clancy's a proper Melbournian now.

I'm a bit grumpy about how much lower the fees will be now though. Oh well, my loss is future importers' gain !

• 1 month later...

oh this change is a PITA and not very helpful at all, although marketed as such

In actuality AQIS have extended its quarantine to 180 + 10

previously dogs could enter aus and make up the 180 days in quarantine.

ie 150 days in the country of export + 30 days in Aus Quarantine,

or 140 days in the country of export + 40 days in Aus Quarantine etc

Now its minimum 180 days in the exporting country.

+ an extra 10 days on arrival in Australia.

This is worse for dogs coming from non- approved import countries. [Plus EU imposed RNAT on EU nonmember countries which AU will not recognise.]

Another unhelpful [political] change

feeling irritated and having a rant

:dancingelephant:

Edited by lilli

• 5 months later...

DAFF have released new fees after a recent review.

All Animal Imports (non-horse) fees have increased. The horse industry must have put up a good fight as their fees did not increase! :mad

I'm not too happy as my import boy arrives mid July and DAFF new dates meant it has taken longer (not quicker) for him to be able to leave the country of export and more boarding/vet fees on other end also :(

http://www.daff.gov.au/bsg/biosecurity-fee-review-2014

Daily fee for dogs has gone from $39/day to $149/day :eek: