The Woolworths Pet Insurance Advert

Christina

That you need pet insurance because big dogs attack small dogs ?

That bulldog breeds are dangerous to toy breeds ?

Its the most stupid advert showing the 2 dogs tied up near each other with the small one acting nervously & saying you never know when you need pet insurance.

There is enough of a problem here with people being dog phobic, big dog phobic, breed phobic etc & to use it to try & scare people into taking insurance in case of attack is low, pathetic & ridiculous.

Am I the only person who is seeing the advert this way or does it have another meaning that I have missed ?

I haven't seen it yet but it sounds stupid. I own bull breeds and they are sweet, friendly dogs and its hard enough with the misconceptions most people hold towards them without something like this reinforcing what so many already believe.

It was on channel 10, not sure if its on every channel but would think so being Woolworths.

Saw that ad this afternoon for the first time and though 'what'??!! Wasn't impressed with the commercial either. Starts off with a bulldog walking up to a chihuahua and then the voice over says something along the lines of does your pet need insurance and then the chihuahua yelps when the bulldog moves closer. Then there's the insurance spiel and then the final scene with the bulldog moving closer again to the chihuahua.

Yes, I have seen that ad a couple of times and it is really really stupid. I couldn't figure out what it was about at first then I cottoned-on that it was meant to portray the scenario of the Bulldog about to chew up the Chihuahua.

Knobs!

Edited by Boronia

You can lodge a complaint with the Advertising Standards Bureau about it.

Good idea.

Thought about this & instead I have sent a polite email to their media department explaining how the ad comes across. Hope they take some notice but there are bigger things in life to make a huge ado about if I was more motivated to kick up.

You can lodge a complaint with the Advertising Standards Bureau about it.

Good idea.

Thought about this & instead I have sent a polite email to their media department explaining how the ad comes across. Hope they take some notice but there are bigger things in life to make a huge ado about if I was more motivated to kick up.

I looked at the ASB website & couldn't see it fitting into their criteria, so this is probably the better way to go. Especially if a huge group of polite people write in. :)

Let them make the decision. I would make a complaint on the basis that it is not a responsible community message in that it is implying certain breeds of dog are dangerous and this could lead to discrimination against the owners of those breeds and public fear of the breeds.

If they consider there is a case to answer then they will send it to the advertiser.

Honestly writing to WW will not get much attention - its clearly been signed off by their legal, risk, marketing and Comms people to make it to air.

It's either that ir she's about to make puppies with the bulldog. Says something like "Fifi got herself into a spot of bother..." something similar. I honestly couldn't make anything pleasant or sensible out of it. Just silly and crass.

That you need pet insurance because big dogs attack small dogs ?

That bulldog breeds are dangerous to toy breeds ?

Its the most stupid advert showing the 2 dogs tied up near each other with the small one acting nervously & saying you never know when you need pet insurance.

There is enough of a problem here with people being dog phobic, big dog phobic, breed phobic etc & to use it to try & scare people into taking insurance in case of attack is low, pathetic & ridiculous.

Am I the only person who is seeing the advert this way or does it have another meaning that I have missed ?

You are not alone! Stupid idiots. Bet they lost the bulldog market all in one go - as well as me.

I haven't seen it yet but it sounds stupid. I own bull breeds and they are sweet, friendly dogs and its hard enough with the misconceptions most people hold towards them without something like this reinforcing what so many already believe.

Not like they don't already have enough bad publicity and people that seem to actively dislike them :(