It's A Burden Being Different...

kelpiecuddles

I really hate it when people compliment my dogs then ask would I be interested in mating with their back yard dog :mad

Me too! And when I explain that he is desexed they ask me for his breeder's number!

And you should see the other (female) Pug and how badly bred they are... Scrawny, spider-legs and a smutty coat, ugh!

eta

They can't seem to understand why he is desexed.

Oi, my smutty coat boy has an awesome pedigree and is very well bred :p

Your boy isn't smutty :)

Smutty is a reference to the grey colouring in a fawn coat, which some breeders are now calling silver :mad

My boy has fawn in a black coat, he's a different area of special :rofl:

Edited by minimax

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok now I am curious lol are Bassets not common in Aus? cuz they are a dime a dozen here, the whole concept of "different" and "basset" in the same sentence baffles me lol I see at LEAST 3 bassets every single day....

I'm 50 years old, loved dogs all my life and often go to doggy events (although not dog shows as such) and have never seen one!

I was cleaning up my photos on my pc yesterday and came across this pic. It was taken at Greenheart Fair - two pei puppies asleep in a baby's cot. We had people four deep to see those puppies! And people kept coming back to see if they were awake! So while we see loads of pei in rescue most people have never seen one either and can't understand why they need rescuing.

post-33739-0-31519600-1384135071_thumb.jpg

Welcome to my world. Good thing the Pyrs love it. In fact they expect it. They get sulky if someone walks past and doesnt stop! We just get used to it and generally use it as an educational opportunity for the breed, purebred dogs, responsible breeding, good training and how to approach a dog properly. If we don't want the attention or hassle, we leave the dogs home ;-).

Lots of people stop and comment on Treble, however he doesn't really care for the attention. I do get asked a fair bit what breed he is. When I had Raiden I had a lady ask if she could breed him to her Golden who was at the vet for cancer treatment and he was in the last stages of Renal failure, She couldn't understand why I said no.

--Lhok

Guest Maeby Fünke

My boy has fawn in a black coat, he's a different area of special :rofl:

Sorry, I took so long to respond... I was in Photobucket.

Don't worry, I wouldn't have a go at your boy :)

My Pug's trace was once a dark, distinct line down his back but over the years it has become wider and faded. Now he has a smutty back...

Trace.jpg

Edited by Maeby Fünke

My smooth coat griff constantly gets stopped wherever we go, lots of people think she is a pug cross and have never heard of the breed. She loves the attention and my boyfriend and I just laugh about it as we have even had people pull up at lights next our car and start asking about her lol.

Welcome to my world. Good thing the Pyrs love it. In fact they expect it. They get sulky if someone walks past and doesnt stop! We just get used to it and generally use it as an educational opportunity for the breed, purebred dogs, responsible breeding, good training and how to approach a dog properly. If we don't want the attention or hassle, we leave the dogs home ;-).

:thumbsup: Exactly :D

I'll sometimes say to Kirra something like "Not everyone needs to stop and speak to a Border Collie", at which point the person (who I thought was a likely prospect) will indicate that they actually do want to speak to a BC - at which point Kirra says - Nanana - see they did want to speak to me :rofl: . General happiness all round . :)

There are photos of my Dally with tourists from all over the world - he is an absolute magnet! I often set the dogs up in sit/drop stays around tourist attractions for our own photos as a means of documenting our holiday....that always draws some notice although it's Ziggy they fall for. I always take the opportunity to point out that they're not BORN this obedient.....

Oh yes - I'd forgotten the photos. :laugh:

Yup, having a naked boy means heads are turned most places he goes. I knew I was in trouble one day when walking round a park and a gang of Japanese girl students with cameras were heading in my direction - the squeals of delight were so funny :laugh:

I like informing people about the breed, there really aren't many over here in WA. You hear the occasional 'haha look at that ugly dog' comment, or 'look at the shaved dog', but on the whole people are interested and seem to love his ears :laugh:

I like to surprise people with actually knowing what breed of dog they have. :laugh:

Truck stop in the middle of nowhere....German Pinscher.

Local Dog park on a few occasions....Fox Terriers, Welsh Terrier, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, Old English Sheepdog (shaved) and numerous Lagotto's. to name a few.

Work..you name it, we've had a few, the highlights have been Irish Wolfhound I sooooooooo want to steal :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: , a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and a Glen of Imaal (which I didn't guess, I was told).

ok now I am curious lol are Bassets not common in Aus? cuz they are a dime a dozen here, the whole concept of "different" and "basset" in the same sentence baffles me lol I see at LEAST 3 bassets every single day....

In the five years we've had Josie and excluding those belonging to breeders we've actively sought out we've only run in to one other. We've met a single fauve and a single griffon vendeen as well, so yes very uncommon here. I've lived in Melbourne and in the south coast of NSW and travelled up and down so we certainly don't keep to ousrselves either.

Try going out with Koolies - Perry is constantly mistaken for a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd because of her long coat. People have no idea about short coated Friskie who dances on her toes as she walks along - guesses vary from dingo to Dalmatian to Cattledog cross. Very few people have heard of Koolies, even in some country areas. Friskie loves lots of attention but Perry is getting grumpy in her old age and does not want strange children coming up and hugging her.

Try going out with Koolies - Perry is constantly mistaken for a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd because of her long coat. People have no idea about short coated Friskie who dances on her toes as she walks along - guesses vary from dingo to Dalmatian to Cattledog cross. Very few people have heard of Koolies, even in some country areas. Friskie loves lots of attention but Perry is getting grumpy in her old age and does not want strange children coming up and hugging her.

I find this odd, as my Aussie gets the opposite. Almost everyone tells me he is a Koolie!

I have a Coolie/Koolie in the kennels, I think over here I have seen it spelt with a C :)

I suprised her by going past and saying lovely Coolie. To which she replied, yes, yes she is. Apparently lots of people argue she is an Aussie - of which there are even less around these parts :)

I get stopped with the WHippets a lot. I generally don't mind and am happy to chat. I do get the how about you feed your dog, geez that's a skinny dog, look at the skinny dog comments. Mostly I ignore them sometimes I ask if they have ever seen a fat athlete/sprinter? they go no I guess I haven't. I do want to get a T-shirt that says my dog is not skinny yours is just fat though :)

I find this odd, as my Aussie gets the opposite. Almost everyone tells me he is a Koolie!

I was going to comment that there seem to be alot of Koolie experts around here. People are always saying my Aussie is one too, although I've definitely seen more Aussies than Koolies around here so I don't know where this expertise is coming from :laugh:

OT but I think I once accidentally really offended a Whippet owner at the park, I was chatting to some teenagers who were there with their family dog and were interested in all the other breeds that were at the park. They saw the Whippy and asked what it was and I told them, then one asked if that was what Santa's Little Helper in The Simpsons is, I said "no, he's supposed to be a Greyhound but he looks a bit small to me". Unfortunately I think the Whippy owner may have only heard what I said at the end and thought I was saying it about his dog :o :o :o He said "he's a Whippet" in a not very impressed voice. I felt sooooo bad, how offensive if I had been saying it about his dog :(

Edited by Simply Grand

My greyhounds get a fair bit of attention and the aussie pup does too. Around here it seems no one is very interested in a kelpie so poor Ellie (who LOVES attention and pats, especially from kids) is pretty much ignored. I usually don't mind stopping for a chat or for people to pat the dogs, our walks are social and we're usually not busy/in any kind of rush when we're out. I find it a bit strange when they take photos but I don't say anything, in my head I'm thinking why do you want photos of a stranger's dog???

I was going to comment that there seem to be alot of Koolie experts around here. People are always saying my Aussie is one too, although I've definitely seen more Aussies than Koolies around here so I don't know where this expertise is coming from :laugh:

Yep, my Aussie girl gets Koolie a lot or the nbt makes them think Stumpy Tail X.

OT but I think I once accidentally really offended a Whippet owner at the park, I was chatting to some teenagers who were there with their family dog and were interested in all the other breeds that were at the park. They saw the Whippy and asked what it was and I told them, then one asked if that was what Santa's Little Helper in The Simpsons is, I said "no, he's supposed to be a Greyhound but he looks a bit small to me". Unfortunately I think the Whippy owner may have only heard what I said at the end and thought I was saying it about his dog :o :o :o He said "he's a Whippet" in a not very impressed voice. I felt sooooo bad, how offensive if I had been saying it about his dog :(

People think my whippet is a grey all the time. He is a big whippet but nowhere near greyhound size. Can't say it's ever offended me though :laugh: I usually say no, he's a whippet not a greyhound then nod as they exclaim how big he is :laugh: He's only 17kgs so not exactly huge :laugh:

Oh no, it was the "supposed to be a Greyhound but..." bit that was embarrassing :) :o

I don't blame people for being unsure about Whippets and Greyhounds if they haven't had much to do with them, just like I don't blame people for being unsure about Aussies vs Borders :)