At The Dog Park

teekay

This video was brought to my attention recently and in light of recent threads I wanted to share.

First off, I think whoever took that little brown dog into a busy dog park needs their head looked at. The dog is obviously very distressed. Where is the owner? Not sure if it is the lady who sits on the bench or not. But IMO that dog should not be there.

Mostly though, I wanted others opinion on the behaviour of the husky. I have a husky and she plays very much like this dog. She loves to chase and she does get that tail up, ears forward stalky demeanour, including heckles up sometimes, when she is about to launch. But it is only a chase and when she has 'caught' the other dog (in my case my Aussie Shepherd Luka, they just have a bit of rough and tumble and then it's his turn to chase her. There is no vocalisation at all and in my case no aggression. So I was wondering if other husky owners think that this husky was being aggressive and wanted to attack the little dog, as stated in the video?

Oh and I'm not defending any of the behaviour shown on the video. The owners of the harassing dogs should have obviously stepped in to stop them from harassing the little dog and a chase between a big dog and a little dog has potential to be disastrous whether harm was intended or not.

Also, the interaction I just described between my two dogs is not at all appropriate for a dog park with unknown dogs and I never take my husky to the dog park( actually I only ever take Luka to the dog park, occasionally, when the park is empty, to practise recall training) Mya is never allowed off lead anywhere except in our, thankfully very large, back yard.

Edited by teekay

Guest donatella

I'm no behaviorist but id be worried about that husky behavior around my dog. Actually I don't like mine around huskies at all had some bad experiences with them wanting to eat mine :(

I think it's more about the comfort of the other dog rather than the intention of the behaviour. I've found that a lot of dogs exhibit very strong prey behaviour around other dogs but also have a very well developed sense of control and bite inhibition. It doesn't mean that I want my dogs to be around them, though ;)

If I were at that dog park and my dog did more than sniff the scared little dog for half a second, I'd be redirecting my dog straight away as it's obvious the small dog doesn't want ANY interaction.

I think that dogs in established, known packs are often different. When I've had two dogs it often regularly sounds like they are attempting to kill each other, but both always go back for more with no injuries.

Edited by wuffles

I think it's more about the comfort of the other dog rather than the intention of the behaviour. I've found that a lot of dogs exhibit very strong prey behaviour around other dogs but also have a very well developed sense of control and bite inhibition. It doesn't mean that I want my dogs to be around them, though ;)

If I were at that dog park and my dog did more than sniff the scared little dog for half a second, I'd be redirecting my dog straight away as it's obvious the small dog doesn't want ANY interaction.

I think that dogs in established, known packs are often different. When I've had two dogs it often regularly sounds like they are attempting to kill each other, but both always go back for more with no injuries.

Totally agree wuffles, and is the reason I don't go to dog parks unless they're empty.

I'm just interested in her interpretation of the dog's behaviour. I certainly am no behaviourist so I wondered what others thought. Definitely not appropriate behaviour by any stretch though.

Just watched the video again and noticed she says the rat terrier is "looking to pick a fight" with the husky???? Really?

Some dogs are submissive by nature and they will almost always have their tail between their legs when under the attention of another dog. Many roll over on their backs if they feel comfortable enough to yield completely. But they can find their place in a dog park.

Other dogs seem intolerant of this submissive behaviour, but it doesn't always escalate - just a bit of bravado to reinforce the relationship.

Some dogs are not submissive by nature, but will submit to another dog in certain circumstances, such as a small dog playing "chasies" with a faster or larger dog and being caught, or as a form of respect to a senior or more powerful friend.

Interesting that the rat-terrier appears to step in and save the brown dog from the Husky. I'd be more worried about the Husky's interaction with other dogs.

Personally I don't think the Sibe was about to attack the little brown dog. It looked like normal Spitz behavior to me when interested in another dog. When it first met the little dog it's body looked fairly relaxed to me.

I have found that many people and other breeds of dog can't read spitz body language. Their ears are very often erect and forward, tails are often up and over the back, roughs are naturally heavier, they're often vocal and they are known to pit their ears flat on their heads when when they're happy.

The sibes reaction to the rat terrier seemed more concerning to me

Edited by Bjelkier

Mostly though, I wanted others opinion on the behaviour of the husky. I have a husky and she plays very much like this dog. She loves to chase and she does get that tail up, ears forward stalky demeanour, including heckles up sometimes, when she is about to launch. But it is only a chase and when she has 'caught' the other dog (in my case my Aussie Shepherd Luka, they just have a bit of rough and tumble and then it's his turn to chase her. There is no vocalisation at all and in my case no aggression. So I was wondering if other husky owners think that this husky was being aggressive and wanted to attack the little dog, as stated in the video?

No.

Mine play the same when they play amongst themselves and there's no aggression involved.

If I was the owner of that husky at the park though, I would of called my dog straight back. It's not hard to see that poor little brown dog didn't want to play. :(

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with a dog with strong prey drive exhibiting prey-drive like behaviour near my small, fluffy dog. It doesn't mean I think the husky would attack, but I wouldn't take the chance. I have seen play turn into prey very quickly with a malamute who frequents our park.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with a dog with strong prey drive exhibiting prey-drive like behaviour near my small, fluffy dog. It doesn't mean I think the husky would attack, but I wouldn't take the chance. I have seen play turn into prey very quickly with a malamute who frequents our park.

And while the husky might not attack, it's behaviour could cause another dog to become heightened, and THAT dog could be the one to chase and grab. Like a domino effect.

I second that even though the husky itself may just be behaving like a regular husky another dog could be stimulated by its normal behaviour and act inappropriately because of that and then pack behaviour could quickly set in and the situation could escalate very quickly. Hence the reason I don't do dog parks.

Edited by mixeduppup

I felt positively sick watching that poor little brown dog trying constantly to get away from all the dogs that interacted with it..

As for the husky... I would have packed up my dog and left, as soon as it entered the park. Ziggy likes to be chased and often plays chase (with him being the one chased), with a lot of little dogs at the dog park..

I watched a GSD do exactly the same thing to Zig (as the husky did when it chased down the little terrier) once and she caught him.. It was awful to see my dog trying to get back to me (because I let him get to far away) and not make it because she gave chase and got on top of him before he got back to me..I blame myself for what happened, I should have leashed him and left that day but didn't.

I have never understood how people go to to dog parks and don't watch their dogs like a hawke (where was the huskys owner in all that?)

I've seen someone let their dog into the park and walk back to their car talking on their phone and looking through their car for something. The dog was a pretty toey border collie and snapped at a few dogs who went to meet her (those dogs were promptly called away). I don't get some people.

Edited by mixeduppup

Personally I don't think the Sibe was about to attack the little brown dog. It looked like normal Spitz behavior to me when interested in another dog. When it first met the little dog it's body looked fairly relaxed to me.

I have found that many people and other breeds of dog can't read spitz body language. Their ears are very often erect and forward, tails are often up and over the back, roughs are naturally heavier, they're often vocal and they are known to pit their ears flat on their heads when when they're happy.

Yup I agree with this. Although, if I saw Treble displaying that amount of interest (what was going on with the rat terrier) in a smaller dog I would be packing up and going home as I know him and it would escalate pretty quickly especially if they ran away.

--Lhok

I've seen someone let their dog into the park and walk back to their car talking on their phone and looking through their car for something. The dog was a pretty toey border collie and snapped at a few dogs who went to meet her (those dogs were promptly called away). I don't get some people.

That is terrible.. I forgot poop bags once, so leashed him and took him to the car with me.. He would panic if I left him in there without me anyway.

I watched a woman walk out while her dog attacked another dog and left the other owner to deal with it on his own. I dumped Zig in the puppy side (no other dogs in there) and went to help. His dog was an older SBT and hers was a large Kelpie sized dog (not a kelpie). We gave her a serve over it as well and all she said was she didn't want to get in the middle of it.. But you don't walk away and leave your dog in there..

The older SBT was a true gentleman through the whole thing.. He is one of the bigger dogs that I let Zig play with. Same play style and not aggressive (unless attacked)..

It is a hard call at dog parks.. Some people genuinely have no idea at all about dog behaviour and this is where problems start..

I have said before, I usually leave if there are unknown dogs there or there are to many dogs..

Sorry if I offend any Husky owners out there but Huskies do look intimidating when they approach other dogs. I know this does not mean attack mode but there are times when I'm uncomfortable around them.

No offence taken. I actually completely understand what you mean. Although I'm sure most are friendly, they can look and sound intimidating if you are not used to them. Took me a while to relax around Mya when I first got her, to be honest. I also think there are still plenty of people who think wolf when they see a husky :shrug:

Thanks for the replies, esp from the sibe owners. I think the whole video is harrowing, that poor little dog, but I did find the narrative confusing and a little bit annoying. I sincerely hope, when the video was turned off someone had words with the dog owners concerned. IMO ALL of them were at fault. The little dog owner for letting them be bullied and the others for not recalling their dogs.

cant say much about the husky as i have no idea how they work, but the poor brown thing is terrified and any responsible owner would notice this and get their dog out of the situation before anything happens.

We were caring for a very small dog for a few weeks and she would exhibit this behaviour around any unknown dog, if the dog came any closer she would resort to snapping yapping and biting, I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen the same outcome here.

I agree with this post. Whilst the little brown dog was clearly terrified, the husky looked pretty relaxed to me, especially at the beginning of the clip when she first came in. The ears, upright tail etc just looked like a normal husky to me. confused.gif The husky and Rat terrier interaction seemed more tense to me. I do think that owners should have stepped in to prevent the little brown dog being chased. She clearly wasn't comfortable at all and didn't want to interact with the other dogs, let alone be chased by them.

I have to watch my dog around huskies, only because he has a bit of a thing for them (not sure if it's because both breeds have an upright stance etc?) He adores them at the dog beach, and I'm sure would go home with them if I didn't call him away!

That little dog should not be at the park at all... poor thing!

As for the Husky... to me, that's normal behaviour for a husky (and most spitz breed) but I would have called that husky away as soon as I saw how scared the little dog was which was making the husky more interested. I would be worried about the other dog in the video though.