Crates And Shipping To Perth

Yonjuro

Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice please.

I am in Perth and am exploring the possibility of getting a Siberian Husky Puppy from an Eastern States breeder. I am familiar with the breed, however I have never brought a dog in from another state.

I have been through a few threads here on transport companies to use and Dogtainers are frequently recommended. My main question relates to crates and cages; I intend crate training the puppy and it seems like I can purchase a crate for not too much more that hiring and have it delivered to the breeder, which I will then be able to use afterwards? - am happy to be corrected though :) My question is - am I better buying a large size crate for shipping the puppy or will this be overwhelming for the pup, or do you think it is better to just hire and then buy a crate suitable for an adult and use a divider for use at home?

Oh, and if anyone has recently shipped a dog to Perth I would be really interested in approximate costs of the transport.

In regards to all of the above I am not looking to cut any costs at the expense of the puppy, in fact I would prefer to spend more to ensure the best possible comfort.

Any advice on the whole procedure will be greatly appreciated.

I'd buy a smaller crate, use it for a little while and then sell it and get a bigger one. The cost of hire is not far off purchase cost anyway and that way you'll still get some use out of it for a while and get a chunk of your money back when you sell it to go to your bigger one.

Contact a member on this forum called Wayrod-

A lot of people have used his services and been very very happy.

Can't help you with pricing though, although I have a friend who flew her sibe boy in from nsw or vic and it worked out cheaper still than buying from a local breeder here

( not that price would be my main concern but anyway)

I'm in perth and used Jetpets to get my boxer girl from qld. I opted to hire the crate and it cost around $350 (can't remember the exact amount). When I picked her up, I was able to keep the crate too!!!! Not sure what happened there lol! I was really happy with their service!

Guest Wildthing

wayrod - have used him and can't speak highly enough of his service. Cheaper to buy a crate and you know you are getting a clean one(no parvo) I have only flown cats around the country and always buy the crate as I get to use it many times over and they are clean.

I'd buy a smaller crate, use it for a little while and then sell it and get a bigger one. The cost of hire is not far off purchase cost anyway and that way you'll still get some use out of it for a while and get a chunk of your money back when you sell it to go to your bigger one.

Thanks, that makes sense

Contact a member on this forum called Wayrod-A lot of people have used his services and been very very happy.Can't help you with pricing though, although I have a friend who flew her sibe boy in from nsw or vic and it worked out cheaper still than buying from a local breeder here( not that price would be my main concern but anyway)

I will try Wayrod when I get closer - thanks. And yep, money for the puppy is not an issue at all.

I'm in perth and used Jetpets to get my boxer girl from qld. I opted to hire the crate and it cost around $350 (can't remember the exact amount). When I picked her up, I was able to keep the crate too!!!! Not sure what happened there lol! I was really happy with their service!

Wow that seems very cheap, are you saying $350 included the crate?

Thanks to those that have responded thus far :)

wayrod - have used him and can't speak highly enough of his service. Cheaper to buy a crate and you know you are getting a clean one(no parvo) I have only flown cats around the country and always buy the crate as I get to use it many times over and they are clean.

Thanks! :)

Thank you everyone for the referrals. Greatly appreciated.

As a guide for you on pricing, based on the information provided:

Brisbane to Perth $320.00

Sydney to Perth $290.00

Melbourne to Perth $260.00

These are guide prices only and include new PP40 crate. Actual price may vary but can be confirmed closer to date of transport.

Edited by wayrod

As a guide for you on pricing, based on information provided:

Brisbane to Perth $320.00

Sydney to Perth $290.00

Melbourne to Perth $260.00

These are guide prices only and include new PP40 crate. Actual price may vary but can be confirmed closer to date of transport.

Great, thanks for that information. I was expecting the cost to be a lot more! I will definitely be in contact closer to the time :)

Have people found their puppy covered in poo and wee after being crated for a longish time :eek:

What type of bedding is recommended and are there any other recommendations in preparing for such a journey? I was thinking of sending one of those adaptil pheromone collars to the breeder.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to post a big thanks to Wayne (Wayrod) for the handling of my puppy from Newcastle to Perth. HE arrived safe and sound in a nice clean crate with no dramas whatsoever. THanks Wayne, I was a bit nervous about the whole exercise but it was all too easy. Ronin is home and happy as are we.