Constipation In Old Gsd

dogmatic

hahaha, don't worry about the probe, they are big dogs LOL If it was a wee chihuahua that would be unnerving!

and yes a check up with the vet now is probably going to include more than the probe if she's slowing down. Let us know what they say.

Psyillium husks work well. You can get them in the health food stores or the health food section in some supermarkets. Just sprinkle a small amount over the food (you may have to experiment with amount - will depend on the dogs size.)

With hard poos in oldies I often feel it is a combo of feeding bones and dehydration.

I have found many of the oldies drink less. Along with what you are trying I would closely monitor her drinking and try to encourage her to drink more by adding small amounts of yummy things to the water.

What we do here with our low water intake oldie is add a tiny amount of goats milk to a cup or so of water for her once a day when it is too cool for her to bother drinking. It is such a small amount that it wouldn't be enough to alter her diet or digestion, (but mine all have goats milk anyway) but as soon as she sees the water turn white, she thinks it is all milk and goes for it til it is all finished.

I wish you all the best with her, love the oldies :)

Thanks everyone. I plan on keeping her for at least another five years. :) Looking for long-term solutions.

I think that some consistency in the diet she has had all her life would be beneficial. I'm not ready to switch brands entirely, but will have a look around for the suggestions and maybe add them gradually.

I saw that harder chicken bones were causing her problems at times, so reduced the quantity to smaller softer bones like wing-tips, etc

Even though the pumpkin soften the stools, I detected that there might be a slight muscular (reflex?) problem. Very slight.

The last GSD I had at this age was incontinent, so I'm in uncharted territory now. Her walking improved and we missed seeing the vet the other day.

• 1 month later...

Psyillium husks work well. You can get them in the health food stores or the health food section in some supermarkets. Just sprinkle a small amount over the food (you may have to experiment with amount - will depend on the dogs size.)

when one of my guys had bowel problems for the rest if his life i added psyllium huskes or benefibre to his meals.. the vet recommended that i soak the psyllium husks first.. they become sort of gelatinous.. but it works. I second the thyroid testing older dogs often develop thyroid issues and constipation can be one of the indicators ( make sure it is the full panel including antibodies why check here: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-dept/small-animal-dept/how-to-test-interpret-thyroid-function.aspx?sc_cid=4828620

Cheers

Helen

One of my dogs benefits immensely from having psyllium husk added to her meal twice a day(every single day) Some dogs do have a problem where their colon is not absorbing enough water from the daily fluid intake. I mix the psyllium in hot water(in a very small cup)she gets one heaped teaspoon and this is poured over her dry food and mixed. I know in this case the food isn't the issue(as my other dogs are all fed the same quality food) but it is something with her.

Also I would do as other suggest with an old dog and forgo the bones. Digestive systems can change as the dogs get older. As with us. Sometimes we need a little help and psyllium husk is a completely natural and safe mixture to give

Edited by Bullbreedlover