Walking One Dog

kiesha09

I walk both dogs for 45 minutes every morning before work and then after work would either go to the gym or run for about an hour without them.

Unfortunately I have a bad back and the physio has recommended I give up the running for now :( But I'm allowed to walk. So probably twice a week I go for an hours power walk in the afternoon.

I haven't been taking the dogs as one of them won't be able to keep up the pace AND wants to stop and sniff every 5 seconds which defeats the purpose of 'my' walk. The other would keep up easily.

But I would really love to be walking with a dog. It just feels nicer some how. Would you walk with your the dog who can keep up and leave the slow one behind? She would end up getting about 2 more hours of excercise and me time per week.

I feel bad about it though.

I for the most part walk my dogs separately.

Max is tiny and Remy is large in comparison to Max.

Remy needs a good brisk walk for about half an hour and Max likes to wander, sniff and pee.

Remy is a social butterfly but Max only has his favourites.

Usually I take Remy out and then take Max for a slower easier stroll.

It works for me!

Mine won't let me walk them separately :rofl: God forbid I leave Mischa behind!! I did have to keep her home while I walked Carl after she had a sore back for a month and she didn't like it one bit... Luckily though she's a lot smaller than him she keeps up just as well. In fact, she's faster! Sometimes if I walk them twice I will leave Misch at home as I don't like to overstress over joints now she's getting older, but she doesn't like it at all.

Guest hankodie

I usually walk mine separately as one of my dogs is reactive and needs some extra TLC on our walks :D I do feel really bad taking one without the other but I usually leave a stuffed kong with them to ease my guilt!

I walk mine together but Mr TSD never walks Em but runs her on the back block because she is SUPER annoying on a walk......he can't let her off because she'll go hunting and on leash she spends the entire time quartering and trying to shoot off after anything with fur or feather. I train and trial them together and separately so they are very cool about being left at home alone. I will tell them: "Zig, see you later" and "Em, come with me" or vice versa or tell them both to come training. The one told "see you later" curls up on the couch and the one coming with me dances around like a lunatic.

I do it all the time! If I am going for a morning run, which is 9kms, I only bring rusty. Then if I do my 5km circuit both the boys come, but Cherry stays at home because she's too old to keep up. They are used to it now, they know whoever is left will still get their turn. When I only had 2 and was taking one to training it would make me feel better to give the left one a nice treat like a chicken frame :o

I walk some of mine separately. Zoe is 14 and dog aggressive, so goes separately. Kaos and Diesel walk together, then I do some training with Kaos and he gets a run while Diesel plods on lead (Diesel is nearly 10 now). Nitro gets walked separately because he is still a bit of a loon :laugh:

I usually walk my 2 separately because I like doing some training with them. Also, I like the one on one time with them.

Neither one of them like being left at home.

Mr W walks them together but he likes taking them to the park for a run.

I always walk separately. I take Booker and my partner walks Eva. I get home a lot earlier than him so take Book out then & he usually takes Eva in the mornings. I also do training with Book when we are out.

On the weekends though we go for a big walk together.

I walk/run mine separately. Each one is at a different stage in life, I have pups from 4 months to 10 yr old, crumbly oldies.

For example I wouldn't run my 6 month old the way I would my 3 yr old who is training for his ET title.

I had to change to one dog per walk after shattering my wrist a year ago. My dogs still hate it! Well the one walking likes it but the others carry on like pork chops the whole time we are gone. And when the lucky dog who got picked gets home the other two sniff her relentlessly for clues....

I have the same problem and because I'm a ridiculous softie I feel bad too :laugh:

Does the one who can't keep up get anxious when away from the other dog? I'd just take the one that can keep up and try not to feel bad!

I feel exactly the same Aussie3 & am too a ridiculous softie at heart. I pretty much always walk both my guys together as I can't bare the thought of leaving the other one at home when I know how much they want to be with us. I just feel like I'm being cruel. Know it is totally stupid but..... I still do a light bit of training with each of them while we are out. Just tie one up while I am training the other. I am extremely fortunate these days to have a spare 2 to 3 hours a day to spend with Sonny & Stella. We go for long walks. 6 to 7 km's. Go swimming. Basically hang out together & have lots of fun :)

Edited by BC Crazy

It's nice to hear that other people walk their dogs seperately. But I still feel bad :o

They will still get walked together in the morning but one of them will get another walk in the afternoons some times. The one left behind won't like it but he copes with it MUCH better than the one I'm taking if she were to be left home (oh the woe is me performance !!).

I might try it tonight.... if I can get over the guilts

:rofl: hmmm nope I could never get over the guilt complex. Not even with Kenz needing to be crate rested after surgery. Took me a good fortnight before I would leave Kenz crated and walk Ness. Mostly I gave up and would drive her to the park with us and Ness could have her wander around and Kenz would sit in the car with me and have cuddles.

When the tables were turned and Ness was injured I shipped her off to live with the grand parents because there is no way she was going to be happy being crated while Kenz went out for walks :laugh:.

I have a similar problem when I have a young pup and older dogs. Usually we do a short walk altogether, then the pup gets put away and we do a longer walk . . . or bike ride. The puppy complains seriously loudly. Dogs have a strong sense of justice, and mine don't take it well when they get left out.