Black Hawk Food

Hi all,

I am looking to try Black Hawk Lamb & Rice Adult Dog for my new 2 year old German Shepard.

However someone said the quality has gone down, and they pointed me to this forum. Is this true?

I want to ensure my dog has a quality good that helps his bones as he is a German Shepard... maybe I should try something else instead?

People have said that they went off it because itching etc... what are peoples current opinions on the black hawk food?

Like most foods it seems to suit some dogs well and others not so much. The food that is best for your dog is the one your dog does best on, try it, if it doesn't suit use something else. I'm about to trial it for my next bag of food and haven't heard anything about a recent quality drop.

My 2 adult Border Collies have been on BH for a couple of years now. Currently Lamb & Rice and Fish & Sweet Potato, bt they've also had Chicken & Rice. It seems to suit them, although as has been said many times, what suits one dog may not suit another - even of the same breed.

Haven't noticed any drop off in quality. There is a size difference in the kibble - Lamb is smaller than Fish.

Having said all that - I must say that I'm very lucky in that my two are pretty easy to please, so probably not the best guide. :laugh:

On an earlier thread, there were some knockers & like all foods there will be some dogs that it doesn't agree with. Here is a link to a more recent discussion on BH More Recent Link & if you go to any of the threads where someone has started a poll on dried foods, it comes up as the one that most DOL's who took part in the survey, feed their dogs. If anything, the quality has improved & now there are new varieties out including Chicken & Rice & Fish & Potato (sweet potato). I have raised my two BC's on it..originally the Lamb & Rice as that was all there was, but now they are on the Fish & Potato. They lost a little bit of weight on the Chicken as it was lower in fat & they are very active dogs. All varieties they love, & I use it for training treats when working inside on the carpet. I only give them a metric cup each at the most, at night, sometimes with a raw egg, & in the morning they get 1/2 a turkey neck.

I haven't heard of anyone talk about the quality going down. Like any food, some dogs do well on it some don't. A large portion of the Dane community use it for their adults and we're also favouring a newish Australian one called Stay Loyal that I think rivals BH on cost and ingredients.

Wouldn't touch it I had very bad results, the dogs looked awful after only a few weeks on it.

For the first time in my 12 year old poodles life her coat was crap and she was full of dandruff (so were 3 of our other dogs), changed back to what we use and a couple of weeks later the dogs skin and coats were back to normal.

Wouldn't touch it I had very bad results, the dogs looked awful after only a few weeks on it.

For the first time in my 12 year old poodles life her coat was crap and she was full of dandruff (so were 3 of our other dogs), changed back to what we use and a couple of weeks later the dogs skin and coats were back to normal.

and what did u use?

My dogs have been on it for a few years now. I have raised a litter on it and am growing a puppy on it. I also feed it as my default food in my kennels.

I have not had any issues with any of my four dogs or my litter. One is a working BC with ADD and he is going really well and maintaining his weight nicely. I feed the lamb and rice as one dog cannot have chicken and I want the highest caloric value. They have eaten the fish and potato and liked it and had no issues with that one either.

I would try it if you like it use it, if you don't like it then try the next one :)

Oh and I rarely have issues with upset tummies in the kennels and some dogs are getting a totally different diet to the BH.

I've been feeding it to my dogs for a few years. If anything I'd say the quality has gone up recently. Used to get the ocassional different looking kibble piece in the bag, which hasn't happened of late.

I just got my 15 month old german shepherd the fish and sweet potato, if I'm not careful about zipping the bag closed, she'll help herself!

I've been feeding it to my dogs for a few years. If anything I'd say the quality has gone up recently. Used to get the ocassional different looking kibble piece in the bag, which hasn't happened of late.

I just got my 15 month old german shepherd the fish and sweet potato, if I'm not careful about zipping the bag closed, she'll help herself!

Different kibble in the bag indicates that the manufacturer who is making it (BH outsources it) is not taking a lot of care with their production lines and making sure there is isolation between the different runs they are doing for different people. It's should be one of the basics for manufacturing.

I just looked at the stay loyal and they have mixed protein including chicken, beef and tuna. No good for me. Why can't more companies go with single or minimal protein sources

Wouldn't that be awesome!