What Would You Do?

*kirty*

I'm so sorry for you Kirty and I know how hard it is to make that decision...if it were me I'd give him his wings as painkillers can only do so much with cancer. We recently lost our beautiful Rottie to cancer... when you see that look and the spark for life is gone... you know it's time. :cry:

Kirty I have had to make this decision three times so far, it never gets easier.

I made the wrong decision the first time, I chose to try and fight it, to pump him full of medication, I still cry when talking/writing about this, I only had three weeks from diagnoses to the time, every part of me screamed that it wasn't long enough, he was only 9, I had rescued him as a two year old from the kill row of the RSPCA, it wasn't fair that I couldn't give him a long life to die in his sleep. I knew the time was coming and booked it but it was still too late that last day I had to carry him outside, his legs weren't working well enough to go up and down stairs. I got home to meet the vet and he was standing there on the other side of the yard looking at me and then attempted to get to me, I had a heart dog, he was my soul dog, his legs just collapsed and I ran as fast as I could to get to him, to hold him, all I could do was sit there with him in my lap and cry, luckily the vet came right at that time and he went quickly.

I live with the grief and regret every day that I didn't help him sooner.

The other two, my old mare and my heart dog, I knew I didn't want to live with the additional feelings on top of what I already feel. My old mare had a growth on her chest and she was a little up and down in mood, she was 27, I made the decision with what I felt was the right time, she still whinnied when she saw people she still ran around, it was right.

My heart dog, she had a heart murmur which was slowing everything down, she was holding liquid everywhere, I knew the time was coming, she was 16, she was still eating, drinking and was generally happy. The day came when I just knew, I rang the vet and took her down, she walked into the clinic herself. I still cry thinking about the bit of pain she was in when the first needle went in, her veins weren't the best at the end, I hate myself even for that little bit of pain I caused her.

All I can say is let your head rule as your heart will never want to let go.

Edited by shapeshifter