Dogs On Holidays

Lhok

So I have had this on again off again problem with the neighbours and the dogs one of their family members bring with them for holidays. These dog always bark no matter how long they stay for be it a week or over the entire school holidays. They charge the fence and are a nuisance. Last time they came, I was spoken to by the ranger and a noise dispute was undertaken against my dog because the neighbour lied and said they had no dogs. The last school holidays the dogs didn't come and I am pretty sure it is because they couldn't blame me for my dog as Miss had passed away and we didn't have Raiden at that point.

What can I do? I really don't want the council on my door step again blaming me for these damn dogs.

--Lhok

Can you photograph the dog on their property (is that legal?) and start keeping a diary? Then you have proof and a record. Also, neighbours that can testify that Treb is not barking?

Or video your own dog being quiet whilst theirs are barking. That way you are not doing anything that can be misinterpreted by the neighbours because you are only filming your own dog on your own property.

Just went out to intervene, as the golden retriever was lunging and barking at Treb through the fence. All the owner of the golden did was yell out the window. I more worried about Treb because any stress, at this point in time can do so much damage to him as it is suspected he has Addison's disease.

I can't really bring Treb inside all that much because it stresses him out, He loves chilling out in his kennel run during the day which the other dog can see into through the tiny slits of the paling fence.

I will set up a video camera though we have a go pro that I could set up on his collar not sure how long it would last though. You also can tell the difference between the barks the golden has a high pitch grating bark whereas Treble's is deep and loud.

--Lhok

I had a problem with the dogs barking and birds screeching across the road and we used our gopro. Set up your gopro without the case (but out of the weather) so that is records the noise better. Don't put it on your dog as you want your dog in the picture. Put it somewhere where it captures most of your yard including your dog kennel. Depending on the size of the SD card in your gopro you will get approx 1 hour of recording on a 32gb card. The gopro automatically breaks it into 15mins videos. Download to your computer, wipe card free and record as much as necessary. You can setup an app on your phone or ipad to see exactly what your gopro is recording if you dont have the screen on the back.

Hope this helps

The good news they have decided to go home. While they were here the dogs charged the back fence after the neighbour while he was working in his yard. Then they went over to the corner and barked and lunged at the fence at the neighbour there who was having a BBQ. After that they decided to pick on Treble twice to which the owner was watching and when I yelled at them to get away and intervened the owner stated that the dogs were only barking. Enough was enough and I went over there and told them to lock the dogs up on the balcony and block it in so the dogs can't see anything to react to. We also think they have went home due to one of the other neighbours loudly stating that they were going to call the council on Monday morning.

Apparently it is ok for your dogs to be a nuisance if they are only going to stay a short while.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

I was left shaking though when I went over there, and have been suffering panic attacks due to having to say something. The tone I used with them probably wasn't good but yeah something had to be said, after 4 years of them coming and going and the huge council mess they blamed missy dog with to the point where we were getting harrassed I just couldn't take the risk of Treb getting blamed for it.

--Lhok

I would ring council anyway and explain the situation. Ask them what they would like you to do when the situation arises again. Make sure you keep a written record of when they are there and maybe ask other annoyed neighbors to do the same to corroborate your notes. Maybe they will be prepared to back you if they try to blame your dog again. Sounds like everybody is getting pissed at them so you shouldn't be the one to shoulder all the responsibility for dealing with them...

They own, but it is their guests that bring the dogs and cause all the problems. The last time they were here was over the 6 week christmas break. Another neighour did bring up the issue to them but they lied and said they had no dogs as the dogs were out at the time with their owner at the local leash off beach. They also told the guy who was complaining that it was my dog that was causing all the problems..

Then we had a huge problem with council. I have told council about them coming and going before and I did manage to get the ranger to go over there while the dogs were in the yard, but again they tried to blame my dog however Missy had passed away by that time and I had informed the council that she was no longer with us.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

Sounds as if its been awful. I agree with writing down dates etc, if the neighbors choose to try drag it out you'll be able to shut it down quickly. Hope it settles down and you can get some peace back. Arguing with neighbors really gets under my skin somehow, I guess because you can't get away from them.