Breed Recomendations

Crysti_Lei

Hi DOL,

I am getting excited as my MIL is starting to look for a new puppy and we were just discussing what breeds may be ideal for them.

They recently lost their little mix that they got FTGH. An accident left him quite phobic and when he got scared he would bolt up to the road where he'd chase cars, unfortunately he caught one. He was a bitza and not an ideal match for them in their situation. he looked looked like a tall black and tan Jack Russel, given their location and what they knew of his family he was likely some JR X Staffy mix.

their dog before him was a Kelpie/cattle dog/border collie mix from the pound. He was great for them, but he was also very unique and i doubt they ever find another like him. he died of old age last year.

They are retired and live on 10 acres of bush in the south west (cold). The property is unfenced but any dog would be an inside dog with a choice to sleep downstairs next to the fire of upstairs in their room next to the flume. So, basically, very spoilt. a life of left overs, love and leisurely walks around the fire break.

They also travel and any dog would need to be happy to spend time at other peoples houses and possible at a kennel.

So i figure anything terrier or working dog would not work for them. and recommended they look at gun dogs and toy breeds.

I know my MIL has always loved weimaraners and I think they would be a good fit and I have also recommended looking at german short/wire haired pointer and pointers. I also mentioned Clumber Spaniels (i love the look of them, but I am not too sure on their temperament) and Griffons (again because I like them and can't see why they wouldn't fit)

Was my advice sound and can anyone else recommend breeds for them to look at?

and just coz, here is a pic of their old dog Rusty on their property.

2001%20%2804%29.jpg

Edited by Crysti_Lei

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I've seen Weims wouldn't suit as they tend to get very clingy to their owners. And pointers are FULL ON energetic breeds. Clumbers may suit. I know a couple of older people with them (very hard to get though and very expensive). Know nothing of Griffins. They might want to secure where the other dog was getting out first before they get another.

I would be worried that any gundog with decent prey drive would head out into the bush hunting a lot.

Wei's may be too anxious for the visiting/kenneling that they require.

Although you say they don't want another working dog, they could possibly try AWDRI, stating their requirements for a laid back personality, they get all types of working mixes through there, and apparently quite a few don't make it to the website if they can match the dogs with their current applicants.

Perhaps something like mini poodle or mini schnauzer might be worth considering?

from what I've seen Weims wouldn't suit as they tend to get very clingy to their owners. And pointers are FULL ON energetic breeds. Clumbers may suit. I know a couple of older people with them (very hard to get though and very expensive). Know nothing of Griffins. They might want to secure where the other dog was getting out first before they get another.

the property is unfenced. it was never an issue for their dogs until Max became phobic. He was offlead when he got spooked and bolted. They had managed the issue well with limited time outside and off lead and a tether or lead at other times, but it just took the one time that he got away and he got killed. on a residential, no thoroughfare street in the middle of the bush. the only traffic is from the few residents that live their. it was a terrible and improbably accident.

Good ol fashioned Labrador....

i thought about this, but they have a dam, i fear they would never see their dog LOL Rusty used to swim in the dam a lot but would come out after a little while, i just don't see a lab doing that voluntarily. LOL

What breeds do they like the ones you have listed are just as much work if not more than many terriers .

When you say spend time at other peoples houses what size do they feel will work in that area,not everyone will appreciate a big bouncy Wei in there backyard .

Running off will just be the same with a gundog .

As long as they were planning to keep it always on a long line when out walking anyway a basset might be a good fit. They are very relaxed, go with the flow dogs and mine is happy to travel and will chill out with anyone who's happy to be leant on. They don't need to be 'run' to keep fit like my kelpie does, a good walk at your pace and they are happy to relax next to the fire the rest of the time. Although she is officially a large breed she doesn't feel like it because she is shorter than my kelpie

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Griffs are fantastic little dogs and are very loyal to their owners so I don't know how one would go being kennelled or being away from their owners often, I know mine would hate it. Other than that and if they had a small fenced off yard around the house it sounds like a good match as they love being inside with you being spoilt attached to your lap or just following you around. But I wouldn't trust any breed without a fence.

A toy breed would not suit on 10 acres of unfenced property with a dam. Something a bit bigger & more robust would be better.

Unless they go out every time with their dogs it would be best to have a fenced area for when they are out alone.

What about a Corgi.

A Poodle would not suit at all.

What about a german shepherd? Maybe an older one if they dont want to deal with a pup... lol like me going through the destruction age haha. They are very loyal dogs and happy to be at your feet or relax and do their own thing. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from others, I was also thinking their coat might be better than a poodle or similar ie. From grass seeds and burrs, finding a dog that will suit their lifestyle

An unfenced yard with a road nearby makes it difficult. A Lab swimming in the dam all the time would be the least of my worries.

I can't think of a breed that's guaranteed not to wander. That aside, I too would have recommended a Corgi, and suggested thinking twice about a Weimer. Not sure why a Jack Russel or Fox Terrier is a bad match?

Are you thinking about a dog that's happy to always laze around the house or on a chain in the back yard?

I know all individual dogs are different, but we have always taken our mini schnauzers to our place in the bush (a few acres, dodgy fencing and temptations galore in the form of wildlife) and have never had problems with wandering while we are there. Of course, if we go out while up there, they are inside as we don't have a secure run outside (snakes would be my worry as well).

However, they are the WORSE dogs for the Australian bush in summer, as they attract every burr and grass seed imaginable, unless clipped right down, which sort of defeats the purpose :laugh:

Perhaps an older kelpie/kelpie cross or cattle dog as others have suggested? Good luck with the searching. :)