New Puppy Mayhem

Mogda

I second leaving her outside with a big , WHOLE raw marrowbone ..or a plastic soft drink bottle into which you put a handful of her food . Throw an apple onto the grass for her t o chase/chew .

She needs to run/chase/chew..and indoors is not the place. Set her up to do good! Cardboard cartons, bones and apples, fluffy toy and a container of water - let her play and discover, AWAY from all your things.

if the yard is securely fenced - then that is the good spot to play alone for some time ..to watch the birds, to enjoy the sun ..and to not have a human attached . :D Pups need to learn how to play by themselves ..and a great big meaty marrowbone or lambshank or kangaroo tail will get her interest, give her plenty of chewing fun ..and a meal!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fed the pup in the crate tonight as was suggested in an earlier post. l will wait until shes a little more use to the crate before I try bedtime in the crate.

I am trying to add photo of puppy for people who have asked for me to include one but cant find how to insert/attach photo. . . could someone explain how to please?

Mogda

We are having a go on the weekend to fence off a safe part of the yard for her to be able to play alone. At this stage the grassed area where I take her now for play/toileting is not fenced off, and on the other side well its fenced and gated but is terraced gardens that are quite high in places, so not safe for her to be out there on her own. She has been enjoying playing with empty milk plastic 2ltr bottles, small cardboard boxes, paper towel rolls and when shes able to play outside on her own she will play with them there too. She has beef back bones available for us to pick up tomorrow and I will be giving her one of those to have a good chew on.

There's the culprit! :laugh:

Gosh, she is gorgeous Mogda! What is her name?

You are doing a fab job, Cosmolos advice and puppy booklet is fantastic.

Love the idea of throwing an apple to play with Pers, I have never thought of that, must try it.

Nylabones are also great Mogda, you can pop one in her crate.

We are having a go on the weekend to fence off a safe part of the yard for her to be able to play alone. At this stage the grassed area where I take her now for play/toileting is not fenced off, and on the other side well its fenced and gated but is terraced gardens that are quite high in places, so not safe for her to be out there on her own. She has been enjoying playing with empty milk plastic 2ltr bottles, small cardboard boxes, paper towel rolls and when shes able to play outside on her own she will play with them there too. She has beef back bones available for us to pick up tomorrow and I will be giving her one of those to have a good chew on.

:thumbsup: Mogda - it sounds as though you're really making great progress with your little 'angel' now ... well done.

JessicaM I have previously tried the water spray but she just tries to eat it and seems to get sillier.

She has been very tired and lethargic this afternoon as it has been extremely humid here, and I don't think she likes the heat. I took the opportunity this afternoon whilst she was snoozing to lay down on the lounge near by her and had 30 minutes as I think the last 10 days have caught up with the both of us.

Cosmolo your training booklet would be much appreciated.

Appreciate your time guys.

Mogda

You're doing a good job, you are learning what your doing wrong and eventually you will learn how to correct them.

Thats why I add vinegar to the spray bottle hahah they dont like the taste or smell.

Yes by the sounds of her getting a treat and doing it again I would say she has learnt by doing bad things she gets attention... sounds like she is too smart and really pressing your buttons.

I dont reward for jumping straight away, I push her down, usually with my knee, growl and PRAISE her with pats only when she sits at my feet for more than 10 seconds. Mia is very smart and knows what she needs to do.

I usually repeat this process a few times until she just sits at my feet, calm and waits.

You may need to have a toy in your hand and (might be good to have her on a leash) practice practice practice until she learns jumping is NOT acceptable. I would deffinantly be waiting longer to reward her, so she can understand sit is rewarded and jumping just gets her yelled at.

This will hopefully be useful to you as some training, furthermore she will not learn perfect straight away.

Expect to see results within a week. (Y)

Guest hankodie

Mogda I just wanted to say good on you for being so committed to your pup :thumbsup:

Puppies really are a mixed bag. My first dog was an absolute nightmare as a puppy, she was challenging from day one and I was brought to tears a couple of times because I could not get her to settle and I was so exhausted! She's taught me a lot about dog ownership though and I've learned so much along the way. I have a 6 month old golden retriever now - he's been a lot less of a hassle to train and raise but I have so much more experience this time around and I'm thankful!

He's also going through a naughty puppy stage at the moment, the only advice I can give you is be patient, be consistent and please enlist the help of a reputable trainer - they will give you a good plan of attack on how to manage your pup.

The work you put in now will pay off in the end, I promise! You will be rewarded with a beautifully behaved dog before too long.

Feel free to come and join us in the puppy thread! We'd love to see more photos and it's a great place to seek some support from other puppy owners :)

I agree Mogda, you are doing a great job with your little terror! She is gorgeous :)

You are getting lots of good advice, but as you've seen there is soooo much information out there and lot is conflicting so it can definitely be overwhelming. I'd just suggest for now you take on what make sense to you and what is feasible for you to do, and once you've had the trainer come in and actually work with you and puppy in person you will hopefully have a much clearer plan for your individual situation.

Don't give up, you'll get there!

Shes gorgeous and you're doing such a great job. Sounds like a more challenging pup for sure. Much more rewarding when she's a grown and matured adult. :)

One thing I'm not sure anyone else mentioned but I read you were signed up for puppy classes. I would probably ditch that unless its run by a very good trainer. Otherwise all you get is a pup free for all, some 'interesting ' training advice. Get pushed to buy the vets food and desex now, and maybe end up with a dog who'd rather play with other dogs instead of listening to you

Lots of good advice and I hate to add more. And I'm not really qualified, cause I raise all my pups in company of their mother and usually another adult dog or two. I don't crate; I create a ramp so the pup can get into bed; I keep old furniture and furniture with metal lets, so I don't need to worry about a little chewing, all my floors are tile. A lone puppy in a household not organized for puppy excesses is a different thing.

But don't forget to bring out the good side. Poor little pup got pulled away from brothers and sisters, with whom she snuggled and wrestled whenever she wanted. She has lots of energy, lots of curiosity, and doesn't understand the rules. Doing a little training in the mode of tricks and games may help turn the chewing and tearing in a more positive direction. Make a big thing of tummy tickling and belly rubs and unforced cuddles. Positive play, grooming/cuddling, and training will build the sort of relationship you want with a dog.

Also, though it makes a mess, I do let my little guys chew and tear . . . cardboard boxes, yoghurt containers, an old hairbrush, the duster, the rubber ducky, an old pair of Crocs. Generally, diverting things that were headed to the trash anyway and letting them get a good chew or get torn to bits will satisfy the pup's destructive energy and cost you only the trouble of cleaning up the mess. The growling . . . I agree with others . . . you need an experienced person to advise you there. A self-confident pup may make a lot of noise and act pretty ferocious, but it's all bluff and bluster, and not true aggression. If it's turning into more than that

With mine, it's a phase, and they grow out of it in a few months. I have a 14 week pup with me at the moment. She's got the toilet thing down pat . . . uses the doggie door . .. she hasn't chewed up anything except the bed frame (which I allow her to chew), toys, and garbage, for a week or so. Hole digging is the present annoyance . . . be prepared to deal with lots of digging is you confine the pup alone, outdoors. But she spends a couple hours a day wrestling with her mother. I still get punctured by milk teeth from time to time, but that should pass in another month or two.

Edited by sandgrubber

Hi to all who have offered great advice and encouragement. I have surfaced again to quickly respond to your posts and update on our puppy. With toilet training taking her out very regularly with a treat and when she actually goes she sits and waits for her treat. Shes not big on praise or fuss its all about the food treat. Its a very slow process and basically its just really catching it at this stage, as if Im busy and miss any cues whatsoever she returns to one of her regular spots. I bought some of that spray that you put on the spot she goes and its suppose to deter the dog to return . . it was expensive and useless!

Re the biting and jumping Im still working with the push down the loud growl and no telling her to sit and then rewarding when shes sitting quietly. That's sill a work in progress but the entire family walk around with treats in their pockets ready for when she jumps and bites. She is particularly bad when my two older daughters come over and they end up jumping up onto the lounge and tucking their feet up under them so she cant bite. She has the situation worked out!

Puppy training school was a bit of a non event as our puppy ended up being the naught student having to stay on her leash for the class after drawing blood when biting a staffy in the class. She was the biggest by far and had no idea of her size and when the others played she got serious!

A trainer is rather expensive I didn't realize quite so expensive, so I am working towards that. In the meantime she has consistency, plenty of toys outside play/exercise, love and discipline. The bones ordered from the butchers finally came through last night but they are huge so have to work out today how to get them a quarter of the size so she can actually pick them up. . . but I am sure she will love them.

Sleeping hasn't changed much still only tiny catnaps during the day and one short stint in the crate in daytime hours when shes exhausted but wont give in. She goes to sleep about 11/12 at night and up again at 3 to outside toilet trip and then back to sleep until 5.30.

I don't get much of a chance to get on computer as the days are full and the nights are late, so when shes settled during the day I have much to do and then by late at night I have to think about sleeping myself.

Thanks again for all help and info and Ill be back on when I get another chance.

Mogda

Oh by the way the puppys name is Mirana :)

My Labrador girl is nearly 8... and she still has her mad moments...

They do eventually get with the program, and really love anything that stimulates the mind as well as the body.

I gave up trying to wear my Lab out the day that she outran 4 Whippets tag-teaming their races up and down the park. 4 whippets exhausted after 4 hours of intermittent running - 1 Lab raring to go for another 4 hours!

T.