Who Chooses A Puppy?

Cosmolo

i've never bought from a breeder before but i would never buy a pup that was selected for me, seems arrogant not to take my preferences into consideration, i would want to see what puppies there were and witch ones interact well with me as well as exhibiting the behaviours i want. a breeder can identify traits and characteristics in a pup but i'm of the belief that you need to have that special spark to really cement the choice

and you can only get that face to face.

A breeder who will simply choose one for me is either treating the puppy or my self with disrespect and wouldn't be getting my custom.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure you've read the other posts in this thread? :confused:

Most breeders are saying they make the choice of which pups go to which family based on best suitability. The future of the pups are very important to them and they feel they can judge better than an outsider which puppy will suit which lifestyle better. Someone with no dog or training experience may not suit the most dominant puppy, but they may want it because it ran to them first. In most cases a breeder knows their own lines better than anyone so will make a more informed choice. As long as you're upfront about what you're looking for I'm sure they can tell you if they can help you or not, and then you're free to go elsewhere if you wish.

i've never bought from a breeder before but i would never buy a pup that was selected for me, seems arrogant not to take my preferences into consideration, i would want to see what puppies there were and witch ones interact well with me as well as exhibiting the behaviours i want. a breeder can identify traits and characteristics in a pup but i'm of the belief that you need to have that special spark to really cement the choice

A breeder who will simply choose one for me is either treating the puppy or my self with disrespect and wouldn't be getting my custom.

and that would be a blessing

*nods*

Yeah, I'm not sure how spending a few minutes or an hour with a litter could make you better qualified to know the puppies than a breeder who has spends hundreds of hours raising them?

I made a number of visits to the litter as they grew, and my breeder still would have made the right choice for me, if I had left the choice to her.

Roova, as I said earlier, I based my testing on the FOCUSed puppy tests. I knew the lines behind this litter and pretty much any puppy would have been suitable, as they were all confident, happy, drivey pups. The pup I chose was just a step beyond that. He would probably be a bit of a nuisance in a pet home who wouldn't put the time into training and working that I do, as he's crazy smart and confident. When I did the visual startle test, he raced over, grabbed the tag on the umbrella I had put up, and started trying to drag it off to play! Most of the pups were suitable for performance, but I chose the feral monkey boy :) At 13 months, he's showing plenty of potential in the four different dog sports we're training for, and will start competing very soon. But his breeder knew that before I tested him, the testing just helped to confirm that he was the best choice for me.

NO-one said they would not take a buyers preferences/situation into account. Personally I want my puppy to go to the best home it can. I want the puppy buyer and puppy to have the best possible realtionship they could have. This means that they need to be suited. If I had two or more puppies that were very similar then I would happily let a buyer choose the one they liked the best. I had four puppies with very different personalities, I had four very different home environments, so far all families are beyond happy with their puppy.

I didn't just say here this one is yours, we discussed what sort of personality they would like, what their home life was like, if they wished to do obedience/dog sports or not etc etc.

There is one bitch I adored and I balled my eyes out when she got on the plane. I would have loved to have kept her but I knew that she didn't have the type of temperment I needed and the home she was going to was perfect for her. They waited 2 years to get a baby from me and they have sent me emails telling me they are happy they did and she is perfect.

Two families had never met their puppy's in person before they got them off the plane, one had visited them when they were around 4 weeks, then again when their pup was 11 weeks old and they were taking her home.

I want the best homes for my babies that involves knowing as much about a families needs and expectations as I can. My puppies are worth more to me that placing them with the first person that picks them because theya re pretty, or look he loves me he came and sat on my foot etc etc etc.

I am not being arrogant I am being true to my babies, after all they are mine until such time as I choose to let them go and not everyone deserves one of my babies!

I am very picky with my puppies and I don't mind waiting a long time for. Like with Skeeter - whom I got from Bjelkier, we talked for a long time on exactly what pup I want and looking for that will fit into my home life but also what I want to do with him, but I trust her to give me that pup. I did go see the pups at 6 weeks old and still then I didn't really know which one I will get. At the end, I did get the pup I've always wanted and so much more (still working out if that's a good thing or bad thing :p Skeeter is a special guy)

If you find a breeder who you get along with and understands what you want/looking for, you gotta trust them to give you the right pup for you. They put in the hard work for the first 8-10 weeks of the pups lives and knows them best...

Saying that, I did have a say in what i thought of the pup and always had the chance to say 'Nope, I don't want a pup from this litter' too.

I choose which pup for which home because I am 100% taking into account the prospective owners needs as well as the individual puppies needs. It is impossible for a person going to see a litter to get a true idea of what the pups are like. The most outgoing pup may have just had a big play and is fast asleep and uninterested while they are there! Through long term observation though the breeder can get a much better idea of personalities. There is no randomness in choosing who goes where but hours and hours of observation, discussion and deliberation.

To answer an earlier question about formal testing, in my breed the tests don't always work well as some of the things tested for are not traits which will naturally be strong in the breed (particularly those associated with drive and retrieving etc). That said I have used some formal testing on a puppy. Those was a pup I chose as being best suited to an owner wanting to train him as a therapy dog. I also did some formal testing on him at the request of the owner and therapy dog program coordinator who were in another state (they did visit several times, but on one of the visits he was the 'sleepy puppy' and not interested in interacting much). The results backed up my assessment. The pup btw has worked out splendidly in his new home.

Our breeder picked ours. In the UK I picked our pup from 3 weeks old and it was a bad choice, she wasnt suited to our other dog or family at all.

This time we told our breeder what we were looking for, about our family and lifestyle and our experience.

We had pick of the males, but she ended up picking our male out of the 4.

I was a little gutted at the time, as I wanted to pick with her and not for us, however, she absolutely made the right choice, he is PERFECT for our family and lifestyle and temperament.

When we get our second puppy (malamute) we will aske the breeder to pick again for us, based on our male and his temperament too, so they will be a good match, as well as our family.

Funnily, we went to visit for the first time, when he was 7 weeks old as its a 2 hr journey, and the pup she picked for us, only days before, was the first one to come up and greet the entire family, he went from one to another of us, climbing on our laps and greeting us, she swears she never trained him to do that LOL :) It was fate :) she also knew which one would fit for us perfectly :)

I didn't get to choose either of my current dogs. They were the only ones available in the gender that I required. I was after certain lines so that narrowed down my selection a lot.

I would definitely appreciate having breeder input/ advice when buying a puppy. After all they are the ones that have handled them from day 1 & know each puppies charactor/ flaws etc. Once I explain my requirements in my new puppy,they will usually match us up accordingly if possible. Thats part of what responsible breeders do. I would never not buy from one :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I met Max when she lept out of the crate at the airport, and I'd seen photo's of the whole litter and individual pups but didn't know which was mine. At first I had doubts that it was anything but a random choice from the breeder, and I still have doubts that much thought was put into matching her to my lifestyle etc as she's sort of the opposite of what I told the breeder I was looking for, personality wise. But I love her to bits and we've adapted - but it took a long time for us both to settle in as she's manic and super high energy and on the go constantly, and super smart.

Boston on the other hand, was picked for me by his breeder (different breeder to Max) and he suits me and Max perfectly. He's the opposite of Max, so compliments her energy with quietness, but loves to play and snuggle. I met "him" when he was a week old, but didn't know which one he was, and they all looked the same then anyway :laugh:

And what happens if everyone has a special spark with 1 pup who just happens to be the quickest to meet people or has the tendency to get excited easily?

What give you priority over the others who say that pup is for them? you can't tell much about pup from a visit or 2, the breeder has seen each and every puppy every day with every new adventure and how they reacted with them, how the play majority of the time, How they act (without the excitement of visitors) on a daily basis.

Breeders ask questions in many ways as possible to find out which by the way buyer describe their lifestyle and family. And makes an educated decision for each and every pup.

They one you spark with maybe better suited to someone else. And that's usually doing the best by the puppy whom breeders are obligated to first and foremost. It's not miss treating a puppy for not selling it to you because it got excited to meet you or decided you were a good pillow, Most my pups do that to everyone.

If i have a few that are very similar in personality being adaptable and easy going, people who come and see will get to have a choice on the day, if one is going via transport to it's home I take a little extra care to make sure I meet their needs. Only because they can't arrive and decide not to have the pup. (has never happened)

The one thing I don't take into consideration is colour, all my dogs are the same colour just a different shade. If it works out then so be it but I will not choose because one is darker.

I can understand preference, I prefer a black and tan dobes, Saddle back GSDs, choc and white BCs, and blue merle Aussies but is isn't something I'd choose a dog for, If your willing to wait for the personality to match the colour so be it but all my dogs are gold, light gold dark gold is still gold. And if your not happy with my choice a full refund is offered.

Edited by Angeluca

as a buyer, I want to choose. I am the type of person that's knows what I want when I see it, I cant sit back and go "I want this, this and this" I suck with words, I cant think straight and say what I mean. I also have social anxiety and come across as a TOTALLY different person then I am, people get me so very very wrong when they meet me. the idea of someone who doesn't know me that well and will never be able to get to know me as well as they would need to for me to become myself, and with my inability to express myself, then letting that someone else make such an important decision on my behalf based on that? ya...no.. lol

Edited by cali

I have only ever homed working GSD pups which are usually purchased for a reason, but I think as a breeder you really need to fully understand what the buyer expects from the dog as an adult and try and work out from experience which pup is most suitable. Buyers often choose for the wrong reasons, but I think if someone does want to choose it's good to make it a mutual choice with them and if you can see them going wrong try and gently steer them towards the right pup for them to make the final choice.

I select puppies for my puppy buyers. I see the puppies everyday, all day, for 8 weeks, and no puppy buyer can really compare with the time I spend with them.

I recently had a rescue litter of puppies that were all much the same in temperament and personality. I let these puppy buyers choose (because I didn't think any puppy was better or worse - all the same!). They chose on very basic things - one wanted a boy, one chose the one that fell asleep on their lap. I let it happen because the pups were all much the same :laugh: , but it was interesting seeing what swayed these buyers... And it was superficial things.

I will let experienced dog people choose their puppy, but I will often narrow it down.

Funnily enough, in my one 'big litter' (6 puppies), with 5 of them being homed in Adelaide, almost all the puppy buyers said they felt a particular 'connection' to the puppy I picked for them.

*nods*

*nods from me too* My puppies, I sell to whom I want to.....or don't sell to whom I DON'T want to and somebody who deems me arrogant because I want to make my own choices isn't somebody I would like to work with.

as a buyer, I want to choose. I am the type of person that's knows what I want when I see it, I cant sit back and go "I want this, this and this" I suck with words, I cant think straight and say what I mean. I also have social anxiety and come across as a TOTALLY different person then I am, people get me so very very wrong when they meet me. the idea of someone who doesn't know me that well and will never be able to get to know me as well as they would need to for me to become myself, and with my inability to express myself, then letting that someone else make such an important decision on my behalf based on that? ya...no.. lol

You maybe an experienced dog owner, my partner has social anxiety I know how interactions are very different for him I can only imagine what goes on in his head and no he doesn't always come off as he actually is, but look at if from a breeder view,

How a pup acts with someone new around is very different to day to day life,

We know these dogs see the personalities develop their interests and particulars, Unless you spent hours with them multiple times you'd never see that as a buyer to disregard a breeder's opinion is the same as going to a pet shop and picking one out. No one knows that dog more then them if you can't verbalize your self you can always put that put in an email which i find better then a conversation,

Don't get me wrong I love chatting with my buyers, but when it comes to what they need and want i ask them to email it so they can take as long as they like to think about what they want to say, how they want it to come across, anything they may forget in a momentary convo.

My questions usually are

what is it you want to do with this dog, (1st question every time)

desexing and vaccination opinions and reasons,

what style of play eg a few throws of a ball, trick training, dances with dogs, and so on

do they want a dog that will ONE DAY going jogging with them, on the dog that lays at their feet on the patio after a stroll down the park,

Age range of family and visitors and their tolerance of dogs,

obedience training at home or at a club?

Inside or outside dog?

if they like a dog constantly at their feet eg the PSI (personal space invaders) or the affectionate dog that is happy to lay over on the floor while your doing you own thing.

Working hours and holiday destination preference eg camping, resort, over seas?

Fencing and yard size and time they will spend outside the property exercising?

Past experiences with dogs and what style of personality and energy they had, health problems they had, things you don't want again from those dogs. Or other animals

The list goes on more often or not one question leads to another and before the puppy has left often more then 20 emails have been sent back and forth. Most the time I can recite a puppy buyers complete pet history, and have an understanding of what they want in there next dog.

I have seen a person with anxiety and social reservations (a breeder) her dogs one being a GR is antisocial dogs and human, are tense in public avoid eye contact, and this is with every dog she owns. All her dogs have learnt her behavior, and I think this may have a bit to do with the dogs not being suitable for the situation. They get on with her fine but some will show their teeth while looking away from a person approaching or walking past. No one in this situation is comfortable or happy. I am not saying you or your dogs are like that but you can see why we as breeders wouldn't want to see a dog we bred and carefully socialized being like that 5 years down the track.

And I personally would hate to have my name on an antisocial Golden retriever it goes against everything they are just like aggressive ones.

Any responsible Breeder's priority First and foremost is to the dogs the ones they have bred and the breed they represent. The Only thing they want is to know their puppy is happy for a lifetime with people who love it as much as they did the first time we saw it. That can't happen without suitability.

Edited by Angeluca