Is Frequent Use Of A Stud Dog Detrimental To Its Health

mini girl

I co-own a nice little stud dog with another who keep him as their much loved dog. He is 4 in April and he has been used 4 times first time May 2011, second July 2012, 3rd June 2013, 4th October 2013 . He may be needed twice more in the next two months and the co-owner is concerned as he says someone has told him too much action for a stud dog can cause heart problems in later life. Our deal was he keeps the dog which he does love and keeps in top condition and I the breeder use him when needed - I myself searched the net for any information on this but can find nothing . I don't know who told him this but I have never heard it and very much doubt it has any truth for a fit and healthy dog. He performs his stud duties very well and is back to his bouncy self in no time. We share any stud fees.. While this person is the perfect co-owner for this boy he has no breeding experience and leaves that entirely to me.. I just want to alleviate his fears as in a couple more years I am prepared to sign him over to him and he just be a much loved pet.

Would think it would make his heart stronger. Its certainly on the list of things that keep you healthy for humans :)

Another old wives tale. For it to affect his heart he would have to be used daily to the point of exhaustion. Its exercise & could only affect him if he had a bad heart to start with & died of excitement.

If a stud dog is "normal" and healthy, there is very little that will be harmful to his health when mating bitches....... apart from getting bitten by a bitch who doesnt appreciate his advances. There is no particular cardiac disease that is caused by breeding from a male dog, no matter how frequently he is used.

Testicular and prostate cancer are no more common in stud dogs than in entire males that have never been used for breeding. In fact the current research has indicated that prostate cancer is more prevalent in castrated male dogs than in entire ones.

I think that it sounds as though the carer of the dog doesnt want him to be used for breeding and so is putting obstacles in the way.

The possibility of sex causing heart failure is the absolute very least of the considerations for using or not using a dog at stud. Use it or loose it goes for dogs as well as men - higher risk of prostate issues if you have less not more sex .

I wouldn't over use one dog, not because of that but because if you find out later he has produced a problem, it is wide spred.

Yes I agree completely. Of course DNA technology is very helpful in controlling many of the "nasties" but we still dont have tests for many of the other things that can pervade a gene pool very quickly when a sire becomes popular.

In the case of the OP I doubt that the breed gene pool is likely to suffer enormously if their dog is used half a dozen times...... nor do I think that the dog is likely to suffer either

I know of only one dog that was used excessively and developed health problems because of it....because he was used two and three times a week for months on end (dog was amazing, and flavour of the month and anything and everything went to this dog within a six month period) he was terribly underweight and out of condition and as a result, his health degraded (stupid owner at the time could have prevented this but the lure of so many stud fees far outweighed the health of this dog) He was dead in six months.....underweight and organs started shutting down as a result of lack of condition and care....BUT....this was an extreme case....(he was also still being shown for much of this time, until his weight dropped so much that he could not enter the show ring for obvious reasons!)

My God how could anyone do that to a dog - poor little fellow - have explained the whole thing to the co-owner as far as the times we may need him and he seems happy now. He certainly won't be overworked but he has produced some very nice pups.

I know of only one dog that was used excessively and developed health problems because of it....because he was used two and three times a week for months on end (dog was amazing, and flavour of the month and anything and everything went to this dog within a six month period) he was terribly underweight and out of condition and as a result, his health degraded (stupid owner at the time could have prevented this but the lure of so many stud fees far outweighed the health of this dog) He was dead in six months.....underweight and organs started shutting down as a result of lack of condition and care....BUT....this was an extreme case....(he was also still being shown for much of this time, until his weight dropped so much that he could not enter the show ring for obvious reasons!)

Surely the pups produced would be low in number - not being able to rebuild himself. But money is paramount to some I guess.

• 3 weeks later...