Life Ban On Owning Pets Handed Out In Tasmanian Court

Salukifan

Link to Story

A southern Tasmanian man has been banned from owning pets because of the cruelty he inflicted on three dogs.

The Magistrates Court in Hobart has that heard when an RSPCA officer visited the man's New Norfolk home in August he could not initially tell how many dogs he had because their fur was so long and matted.

The officer said that as a result, the three dogs belonging to Leigh James Clarke had difficulty walking.

A vet report tendered to the court said one of the dogs had an abscess in its ear and another an eye problem. Both conditions had been left untreated.

The vet said the dogs would have suffered significantly and over a long period because of their health issues and lack of grooming.

Magistrate Michael Daly fined 53-year-old Clarke $400 and banned him from ever owning domestic animals.

The three dogs have since been groomed, treated and have found new homes

Well done Magistrate Daly! :cheer: A life ban on animal owning should be a standard sentence for anyone found guilty of cruelty to animals.

A southern Tasmanian man has been banned from owning pets because of the cruelty he inflicted on three dogs.

The Magistrates Court in Hobart has that heard when an RSPCA officer visited the man's New Norfolk home in August he could not initially tell how many dogs he had because their fur was so long and matted.

What, did he think there were two dogs hiding under one matted coat?

What a bizarre quote.

It was reported in the media. You're not reading a transcript of the actual case. You bet there was sensationalism.

As for the end result showing the seriousness of the crime.... what do you make of the 5 year sentence handed out for the death of an innocent man king hit and killed as he walked along minding his own business then? The sentence doesn't always give an indication of size or seriousness of a crime.

I'm happy that there is one less person capable of harm that has the ability to own a dog but I still stand by my sensationalism comments. :)

hmm, given that it's ABC news (rather than the tele or SMH), it could literally have been what the RSPCA officer said, who could have been exaggerating a bit maybe?...

either way, glad the poor little poppets have a better chance at life now, well done magistrate Daly. Hope they can enforce this.

the before and after photos from the article:

5110804-3x2-340x227.jpg

5110808-3x2-340x227.jpg (what a cutie!!)

• 2 weeks later...

It was reported in the media. You're not reading a transcript of the actual case. You bet there was sensationalism.

As for the end result showing the seriousness of the crime.... what do you make of the 5 year sentence handed out for the death of an innocent man king hit and killed as he walked along minding his own business then? The sentence doesn't always give an indication of size or seriousness of a crime.

I'm happy that there is one less person capable of harm that has the ability to own a dog but I still stand by my sensationalism comments. :)

Now you are being sensationalist :( . There is no comparison so why on earth try to make one. There is a topic on this and virtually everyone agrees that it was a shocking case. The case has gathered Australia wide interest.